Tiger Woods/ Bay Hill

Did anyone else see the way Tiger finished off this tournament? Heading into the weekend he was 7 shots back. He curled in a sliding 30 footer on the 72nd hole for the win. It was unbelievable to watch in real time.

He is beyond dominant. He has passed Arnold Palmer for all time wins and has just tied Ben Hogan. The scary part is that now that he is in his early thirties, he might just now be hitting his prime. I am trying to recall dominance like this - perhaps the UCLA clubs under Wooden - but I dont think they had the competition that Tiger has. By all accounts, the players on tour now are better than they have ever been. Maybe Ali in his prime? I dont know. All I know is that we are watching greatness every time Tiger laces them up.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Did anyone else see the way Tiger finished off this tournament? Heading into the weekend he was 7 shots back. He curled in a sliding 30 footer on the 72nd hole for the win. It was unbelievable to watch in real time.

He is beyond dominant. He has passed Arnold Palmer for all time wins and has just tied Ben Hogan. The scary part is that now that he is in his early thirties, he might just now be hitting his prime. I am trying to recall dominance like this - perhaps the UCLA clubs under Wooden - but I dont think they had the competition that Tiger has. By all accounts, the players on tour now are better than they have ever been. Maybe Ali in his prime? I dont know. All I know is that we are watching greatness every time Tiger laces them up.
    Yep, my dad was there in person, and I was following along on TV (as an aside, I'm not sure any sport benefits from the jump to HD more than golf -- it's just stunning). Tiger's final putt was just astonishing -- it was more like 24 than 30 feet, but the degree of difficulty added by the slope is probably worth 6 feet.

If Tiger's playing in a tournament, the Saturday and Sunday rounds get an automatic TiVoing. You just know something special will happen, and it's an honor to get to watch this guy. We'll tell our grandkids about him.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    it was more like 24 than 30 feet
    I heard it was 60 feet, triple breaker, in the pouring rain . . .

(as an aside, I'm not sure any sport benefits from the jump to HD more than golf -- it's just stunning).
    And the super-slo-mo replays in HD are sweet too!

That was an amazing putt -- we interrupted (early) Easter Brunch to watch it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Did anyone else see the way Tiger finished off this tournament?

He is beyond dominant.

All I know is that we are watching greatness every time Tiger laces them up.
    And you are understating his dominance.

Gotta give the announcer jinx credit for the three most amazing putts of the day - Tiger's misses on #10 ("Tiger has made 51 of 51 putts under 7' this week" and he missed 2 to make bogey) and of course on 18, where he was 0 for the week on putts over 18'7", and he drained the winner from ~24'. As the announcer said "I think he's due to make one!"

I'm like everyone else: if Tiger is playing, I want to watch. If he's not, I'd rather be playing.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Steve Williams has the best job in the world.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Steve Williams has the best job in the world.
    Have to agree with you on that one. Isn't the caddy cut like 10% of winnings? Wow.

Have to agree with you on that one. Isn't the caddy cut like 10% of winnings? Wow.

Caddies usually get a cut of winnings...but Tiger has Steve on salary (and I bet it is a big number)

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Caddies usually get a cut of winnings...but Tiger has Steve on salary (and I bet it is a big number)
    Yes, I would guess his salary far exceeds the earnings of other caddies, especially since Tiger wins so many of the tournaments.

I wonder if the other caddies hate Steve since his boss takes so much money out of their pockets.

I don't care for golf, but any mention of Tiger requires me to post this

I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense. I'm sure that Steve is willing to work for Tiger for less an $1MM (what his cut would have been some years).

If I had to guess, I would guess that Steve Williams is paid at a higher rate that a 10% cut of winnings. His input to Tiger is exceptional and the relationship between the two is closer to equals than employer-employee.

If Steve Williams was a PGA player, his earnings would be enough to qualify to keep his playing card - well in excess of $500K.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

GO TIGER!! I feel so blessed to be given the chance to see him in his prime! AWESOME! Can't wait to see how many records and barriers he demolishes.

Even the living greats -- Arnie, Jack, Byron, etc. acknowledge that he will go down in history as the greatest ever. (ps: if you are a Tiger hater ---how many hours of golf do YOU watch when Tiger isn't playing???)

According to Wikipedia, Steve Wiliams is New Zealand's highest paid sportsman. Considering what some of the Australian rules footballers get paid, that's significant.

I always heard that Fluff Cowan, Tiger's last caddy, got fired for talking too much about Tiger's private life.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    (ps: if you are a Tiger hater ---how many hours of golf do YOU watch when Tiger isn't playing???)
    Its Duke Basketball Syndrome - the fans watch and the haters watch and the networks love it.

Tiger is amazing. I don't even play golf but if he is playing (and I know about it) i have it on the TV. Too bad I was sooo caught up on B-ball (cheering against UNC) Sunday to know that Tiger was on.

Bummed that I missed it.

El Tigre just bought a 65Mil estate in the Hamptons.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182008...ker_102460.htm

Its got: a 13,200-square-foot Colonial Revival main residence, a 7,500-square-foot guesthouse and a four-car garage with staff quar ters.

The lush grounds feature an oversized seaside pool with spa, a tennis court, a lily pond and professionally groomed gardens.

And he already has:
    A $40 million estate on Jupiter Island, Fla., which was partially destroyed last year in a fire.

A 155-foot-long yacht, Privacy.

A 16,500-square-foot palace with pool and theater that he is building at the golf course he has designed in Dubai.
    ~rthomas