Preseason Polls v. 3/16/08

ESPN/USA Today just released its final rankings, and I thought that it was interesting to look back. Obviously, the committee didn't think that Wisconsin was the #5 team in the nation or that Butler was a top - 10 team, but given how upset we were when Duke lost yesterday, I think some perspective is helping me to get ready for the tourney.

Preseason ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. North Carolina
    2. UCLA
    3. Memphis
    4. Kansas
    5. Georgetown
    6. Louisville
    7. Tennessee
    8. Michigan State
    9. Indiana
    10. Washington State
    11. Duke
    12. Marquette
    13. Oregon
    14. Gonzaga
    15. Texas A&M
    16. Texas
    17. Arizona
    18. USC
    19. Arkansas
    20. Pittsburgh
    21. Stanford
    22. Kentucky
    23. Southern Illinois
    24. North Carolina State
    25. Villanova

3/16/08 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. North Carolina
    2. UCLA
    3. Memphis
    4. Kansas
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Tennessee
    7. Texas
    8. Georgetown
    9. Duke
    10. Butler
    11. Stanford
    12. Xavier
    13. Louisville
    14. Drake
    15. Notre Dame
    16. Vanderbilt
    17. Connecticut
    18. Purdue
    19. Pittsburgh
    20. Michigan State
    21. Washington State
    22. Clemson
    23. Davidson
    24. (t) Indiana
    24. (t) Marquette

It's amazing to think that 1-4 are the same today as they were in October. I also don't think that this season would be a disaster if we lost in the Sweet 16. I am very happy with how they played througout the season, and am really excited about the future of the team. Mostly, I hope that we get the chance to play in the Elite 8 for a chance to go to the Final 4.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

2. While I was never that down about the season (not being able to watch all of Duke's losses does that ), I'm not sure this comparison makes me happier. From #11 to #9 means we performed roughly to pre-season expectations, which is neutral not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    While I was never that down about the season (not being able to watch all of Duke's losses does that ), I'm not sure this comparison makes me happier. From #11 to #9 means we performed roughly to pre-season expectations, which is neutral not positive.
    so does that mean UNC should feel "neutral" about their season thus far, because all they've done is play to the expectation that they'd be the #1-ranked team in the country? Our expectations were high, and we met or exceeded them. That's positive.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

4. Well now we're just arguing semantics and perspective. Duke had ample room to move upwards relative to the pre-season (unlike UNC) and we did, which is about the time we all thought Duke was at least Elite 8 worthy and possibly Final 4. Now we're back to roughly where we started in the pre-season...which is at least Sweet 16 worthy and possibly Elite 8. The pre-season/post-season comparison doesn't make me UNHAPPY but it doesn't leave me frothing in the mouth with excitement either. Overall I think "neutral" is an accurate description of how I feel about the comparison. (Note we are not talking about how I feel about the team or the season, which is actually very positive, but about weighing post-season results with pre-season expectations. This team has been fun to watch and follow, though I do hope Singler and Henderson get out of their funks).

As for UNC...you'd have to ask an actual Tar Heel how they feel about ending up #1 in the final coach's poll when they were also #1 in the pre-season. I suspect most of them will say "pretty good" but I bet they expect at least a Final 4 berth to be truly happy with their season.

How in the world was Kentucky the 22nd ranked team nationally? My goodness.

Those who voted for that placement need to be released from their positions immediately. (Im obviously kidding, but man oh man, what a miss that was.)