Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

stayin positive

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post
    K's playing a deep bench -- not just Zoubek and Smith, but Taylor King's getting a lot of PT. Singler's getting good rest. Duke will have fresh legs late in the second half.
    I anticipate a much better second half. Defensive adjustments, fouls mounting on Belmont, and some fresh legs. Need to stop dribbling off feet and rebound.

At what point do you think we will adjust to the backdoor cuts? We fall into the same pathetic funk at this time every year.

would love to see smith run the point with paulus at the other guard spot. Im surprised that we have not seen this at all throughout the year, paulus can in no way get into the lane a create for others like smith potentially can. Its hard to get others involved when your back is to the basket at all times.

Good to see singler getting back to normal, however the whole team just looks a step slow. I think the wear of the season has caught up with them so its a must that players like smith, king, mcclure and zoubek step up.

I know we got some steals/turnovers off the pressure defense, but the overplay hurt us more than it helped us, IMHO. We need to pull back a little bit and I think we will pull away. The offense could have been much better, but I have to give Belmont some credit for the tenacious d they played.

"Zoubek looks MUCH MORE fluid than he ever did before his injuries. Do I just have a bad memory? Z needs quite a bit of work but he looks much more mobile than I remembered. Smith is in a lot and has already hit a 3, that's a positive. "

zoobs, really fluid on those travels.

smith has hit a three, but is getting beat by whoever he guards. it is hurting the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NYD33 View Post
    At what point do you think we will adjust to the backdoor cuts? We fall into the same pathetic funk at this time every year.
    the team is not in a funk. we are playing with energy and chemistry. Our habitual switches and overplay on defense make us susceptible to the backdoor play, especially against a smaller, quicker opponent, like Belmont. For better or worse, we will just have to put up with some of those baskets, as a fan, in a game like this because this is K's base defense and he values the trade-off of easy baskets for turnovers. So just hope we keep forcing the turnovers as well as giving up the layups.

That was an incredibly pathetic half of basketball. I dedicated an entire thread earlier in the year to what I thought was a new and improved Paulus. He looks like he's wearing weights on his ankles tonight. The entire team does.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    the team is not in a funk. we are playing with energy and chemistry. Our habitual switches and overplay on defense make us susceptible to the backdoor play, especially against a smaller, quicker opponent, like Belmont. For better or worse, we will just have to put up with some of those baskets, as a fan, in a game like this because this is K's base defense and he values the trade-off of easy baskets for turnovers. So just hope we keep forcing the turnovers as well as giving up the layups.
    Not in a funk? What Duke team have you been watching play the last few years? We used to steamroll into the tournament year after year and dominate our first round opponent before really having to go to work. I understand those teams were more talented than what we have right now and that Belmont may be a decent team overall, but come on. We had no offensive rythm in the first half and looked out of sorts like we have since mid to late February. Don't know if we're just tired or teams have caught on to us but let's be realistic herel.

Watching a different game?

Am I watching a different game than some of those commenting her tonight? I can't recall us getting as many steals in a game. Sure, we could be guarding against Wicke and back door cuts better, but I was honestly thinking that the team was playing better than I've seen in a long time. You have to give credit to Belmont, though, for the game they're playing. They don't look like a 15 seed to me!

and by last few years i meant weeks. Sorry for the typo.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "Zoubek looks MUCH MORE fluid than he ever did before his injuries. Do I just have a bad memory? Z needs quite a bit of work but he looks much more mobile than I remembered. Smith is in a lot and has already hit a 3, that's a positive. "

zoobs, really fluid on those travels.

smith has hit a three, but is getting beat by whoever he guards. it is hurting the defense.
    Yeah, and really fluid while altering and blocking those shots, too. As I said, he needs a lot of work but he just looks quicker and more agile than before. Why bag on the guy? He's worked hard and come through a lot and he has made huge strides. Yes, he still has a long way to go. Give him a break.

They have twelve team fouls. Justin Hare, who averages 15 ppg for them has three. This has to play a part in the second half. Scheyer's playing out of his mind. Good to see Singler back in the swing of things. Nelson and Paulus seem tentative on offense.

Belmont is shooting 40% for threes, they've gotten their backdoor cuts, but we're still ahead by 7 at the half. I think they're giving us their best shot, while we have several things to improve on. I feel optimistic about the second half. VERY GOOD to see King, Smith, Singler, and Zoubek all scoring for us: takes the pressure off of Nelson, Scheyer, and Paulus, making it more likely for one of them to put up 15 in the second half.

G's wrist can't seem to keep up with his feet/speed on the drive.

I feel sick to my stomach...

we've been pretty good at guarding the shooters, until the last couple of possessions (it's 28-18 right now).
    We had a 10 point lead? I must have missed that.

Earlier poster is right. Guys are blowing right by Nolan. Is he ill, or is this par for the course with him?

We're lucky to be ahead. Between their great 3 pt shooting, great backdoor cuts, we're lucky our shots are falling at a better than avg pace. If we were cold, we'd be out of this game.

Where's McClure? Thomas has had a couple TOs on the offensive end.

Paulus' early 3 was ridiculous. Terrible form - he's lucky it went in; does he have the green light from that distance in transition? It wasn't like he was THAT open.

Taylor King's jumper at the end was acrobatic. If he weren't in the key, it would also have been an ill-advised shot, I'd say, but it was close enough to finesse it in there.

I hate to think it could be VCU all over again, but who knows - maybe Belmont's hot shooting will revert to the mean, and they'll actually get called for over half the fouls they're committing (we've gotten away with a couple, but not nearly as many, IMO).

I hate that K isn't feeling well. I think he'd be more vocal towards the zebras if he weren't under the weather.

Well, keep the faith, root root root for Duke, que sera sera.

update: I see that the final 1st half numbers for Belmont's shooting aren't that high. The last I had heard they were 5/10 from 3. Belmont will continue to play physical. If they don't get called, it'll help them. If they do, then you'll hear how "Duke gets all the calls". Tough to be hated so.
    Last edited by cspan37421; 03-20-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: updt

Man

Having read some of these posts, I have to wonder what kind of fans Duke has. There is an amazing amount of negativity in these posts. If you guys had been here in 1986, you probably would have transferred to UNC (and I'm starting to wish you had). Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Am I watching a different game than some of those commenting her tonight? I can't recall us getting as many steals in a game. Sure, we could be guarding against Wicke and back door cuts better, but I was honestly thinking that the team was playing better than I've seen in a long time. You have to give credit to Belmont, though, for the game they're playing. They don't look like a 15 seed to me!
    Agree. Belmont is a quick, experienced team that came in ready to play. It's their third year in a row in the field of 64 and it's showing right now in their poise and sense of purpose. Some of the stressing on this thread right now is undoubtedly from the realisation that Belmont is a whole lot better than most of us thought. I am surprised at how quick they are but not by their poise. You know a team with that much experience will be ready to play and won't be intimidated.

Yeah, and really fluid while altering and blocking those shots, too. As I said, he needs a lot of work but he just looks quicker and more agile than before. Why bag on the guy? He's worked hard and come through a lot and he has made huge strides. Yes, he still has a long way to go. Give him a break.
    agree. he can contribute even without scoring. just needs to cut out the turnovers, that's where he hurts us.

Sing to the tune of The Beatles "Here comes the Sun"

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I anticipate a much better second half. Defensive adjustments, fouls mounting on Belmont, and some fresh legs. Need to stop dribbling off feet and rebound.
    'Here comes Duke's defense...
    defending the deep ball 3eeeeeeeeee
    when they do that, tonight
    they will win by 20eeeeeeeeeeee.'

I need to get into music; in some ways, I'm a certain type of lyrical Jesse James, I know it, you don't even have to tell me.

dth.

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    We had a 10 point lead? I must have missed that.
    that should have read 28-28. For some reason, the board won't let me edit that post. Hmmm.

Let's try to remember that Belmont it is an experienced team. Duke is going to adjust on defense. Belmont will get tired and in foul trouble. This won't be pretty but all Duke needs to do is survive and advance.