0 0%
  • S. Alabama

0 0%
  • St. Joe's

0 0%
  • George Mason, Winthrop, Boise St., American, or Playin winner

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Georgetown's not doing much better with UMBC. The only #2 that's really come out strong is Texas, it seems.

Congrats to Jeff and Oklahoma for their victory!

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post
    Congrats to Jeff and Oklahoma for their victory!
    Nice win for the Sooners. A possible matchup with Louisville could be a great game. I loved the way Capel's team played today. Offensively they were brilliant and defensively they completely shut down St Joe's in the 1st half.

Indiana or Arkansas?

Close game. Who are ya'll pulling for?

After, 2002, I find myself pulling for Arkansas (the 1994 thing being a distant memory)

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Close game. Who are ya'll pulling for?

After, 2002, I find myself pulling for Arkansas (the 1994 thing being a distant memory)

-EJ
    IU, that's my pick. Not looking good right now.

UNC looks like the cream of the Tournament

I know it is only 2 games but from what I have seen so far, UNC looks like the best team in the tournament. Can they be beaten...of course, but with Lawson back now and Hansbrough probably the best player in the tournament, not named Curry, the 2008 National Championship Banner will most like likely be hanging from the Dean Dome shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I know it is only 2 games but from what I have seen so far, UNC looks like the best team in the tournament. Can they be beaten...of course, but with Lawson back now and Hansbrough probably the best player in the tournament, not named Curry, the 2008 National Championship Banner will most like likely be hanging from the Dean Dome shortly.
    And too my greatest chagrin, that will signal an official changing of the guards in the ACC (although I personally think that was already obvious). We have some serious work to do in order to catch up, and I'm afraid it's going to take a least two years just to draw even. Much will depend on how much the NBA defection bug bites UNC this off season. If it's significant we could pull even next year. But if something crazy happens and their guys all return they will be just as dominant next year. Ughhh...

Gary

I agree that, thus far, Carolina appears to be way ahead of the field (although Louisville was equally impressive today). I'm not certain how they'll do against a team that plays well on both ends of the court. UCLA struggled last night, but they are a veteran team with tournament experience and an incredible talent (Love). They also find ways to win. UCLA yesterday reminded me of Ohio State last year. The Buckeyes should've lost to Xavier. And they should've lost to Tennessee. But they survived and advanced and played Florida pretty tough in the title game. I still like the Bruins to win it all. But Carolina has certainly impressed this weekend.

You say "the 2008 National Championship Banner will most like likely be hanging from the Dean Dome" but do you really think there is a 50-50 chance the TarHeels win the title at this point? Think carefully before you (or anyone else) answers. The Heels still have 4 games to go against some very good teams. In fact, I think Carolina's path to the national championship is the toughest path of any #1 seed left in the tournament.

Wash State is almost certainly the best defensive team in the tournament and has loads of quickness in the backcourt to keep Lawson out of dangerous places. They've got a pair of big fellas (6-10) who can body up to the Carolina big men and make if hard for Hasbro to get his low post position. Carolina has largely been a team that relied on outscoring the opposition to succeed this year, not a team that thrived on playing great D (though they played quite well against Duke in Durham). It will be interesting to see how they respond when they have an opponent who can keep them from scoring at will.

After that comes either Louisville or Tennessee -- two teams who certainly have the athletes and skill to stay with UNC in a way that precious few teams can. Tennessee has always been considered the strongest #2 seed in the tourney and I think Louisville or Stanford are the strongest #3 seeds. Again, Carolina would be a favorite over either of them, but not at all an overwhelming one. I bet Vegas puts out a pointspread of no more than 3 or maybe 4 points for that matchup.

Then comes the Final Four and, I think, a matchup against Roy's old team. Wow, what a war that will be!! Think the Kansas kids havn't heard a little bit about what it was like when Roy left? Think they won't be extra pumped for this game?! Whew, I'd rate that game a toss-up.

And, if they have won those then they still have to win against someone in the national championship game. I have no idea who it will be but certainly teams like Memphis, UCLA, Stanford, and Texas have rosters capable of giving Carolina one heck of a tough game.

Bottom line -- Carolina may be the favorite to win the national title right now, I can go with that I suppose, but I'd give them no better than maybe a 25 or 30% chance of winning it. I mean, do you really think their odds are all that much better than Memphis, Kansas, or UCLA? I think Kansas and UCLA both have much easier roads to the Final Four than Carolina does -- in fact it ain't even close in my mind.

So, if you feel so strongly that Carolina is gonna win it-- lets make a bet

--Jason "I give you Carolina, you give me every other team in the field... name the bet" Evans

Interesting stats from UNC game

Against MSM's UNC was 43-71 from the field for 60%. However they also got 17 offensive boards.

Against Arkansas, UNC was 44-65 for 68%, and added an additional 10 offensive boards.

That means that in both of their games so far, there were only 11 shots on offense that didn't either go in, or result in a UNC rebound.

I don't care who you're playing. You shoot 60% or better from the field and grab 10 or more offensive rebounds with >10 turnovers, you are going to win, and win big. You don't even have to play defense to do it (and UNC did, btw).

As for your bet Jason, I can't take you up on it because I could never live with myself if I won. Picking UNC to win it all and shaming a Duke fan in the process is just wrong. I'd rather watch the West Virginia and '04 UConn games again on a big screen in the Dean Dome than to ever do that.
    "There can BE only one."