View Poll Results: Who will win the South region?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Memphis

3 5.77%
  • Texas

29 55.77%
  • Stanford

5 9.62%
  • Pitt

14 26.92%
  • Michigan St.

0 0%
  • Marquette

0 0%
  • Miami

0 0%
  • Miss St.

0 0%
  • Oregon

0 0%
  • St. Mary's

0 0%
  • Kentucky

1 1.92%
  • Temple, Oral Roberts, Cornell, Austin Peay, or UT-Arlington

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

March Madness conversation: SOUTH Region

Please make all comments about the South Regional, being played in Houston, in this thread.

Memphis, TX, Stanford, Pitt

--Jason "I know the pairings don't come out until 6pm ET, but I wanted these to be out there early so we would not get a mad rush of new threads in the moments after the pairings are announced" Evans
    Last edited by -jk; 03-16-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added top 4 seeds

Oh, boy. UM gets to play Texas in the round of 32.

I really can't believe that they gave Kentucky an at-large bid. That's not a slam on Kentucky -- they just had a comparatively weak season recrd, and a one-and-done in their conference tourney. I guess having an SEC member on the selection committee helps, huh?
    Last edited by SharkD; 03-16-2008 at 06:44 PM.

UK went 12-4 in the SEC. Despite all the Duke grave-dancing on UK, it's been clear for at least 2 weeks they'd be in the field. Probably 3 weeks. They beat UTK just last week.

I like a potential Mississippi State-Memphis game in Little Rock.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I dunno. It's hard to believe that the Wildcats deserve to be in more than, say Dayton or UMass, Virginia Tech or Arizona State.

Most Loaded region

They did Memphis no favors.

I have not seen Stanford play much but they gave UCLA a ride and have size. Pitt is really hot now and Texas could have been a #1 with a few made buckets against Kansas. This feels like the most top-heavy region.

Also, no 1-loss team has ever won it all (see Duke, 1999)

Your big first round upset of the tournament this year is Cornell over Stanford. Feel free to thank me later...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Your big first round upset of the tournament this year is Cornell over Stanford. Feel free to thank me later...
    I would have liked Cornell over some of the other teams they might have played... but not Stanford. The Cardinal are just a huge team with the Lopez twins at 7-0 and 250+ each. Granted, Cornell is bigger than the usual Ivy champs we have seen in the past, but the notion that their big men can stay with Brook Lopez... wow, I just don't see that.

--Jason "as an aside, Memphis got the screw job from the selection committee having to perhaps play UT in Houston-- gonna be a sea of burnt orange for that game" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    UK went 12-4 in the SEC. Despite all the Duke grave-dancing on UK, it's been clear for at least 2 weeks they'd be in the field. Probably 3 weeks. They beat UTK just last week.

I like a potential Mississippi State-Memphis game in Little Rock.
    I agree that Kentucky has likely been in the field for awhile now. But for clarification they didn't beat Tennessee recently, they beat them on Jan 22nd at Rupp with Patrick Patterson. They played Tenn very tough in Knoxville 2 weeks ago, but missed a 3 at the buzzer to force overtime.

I am adding polls to each one of the bracket threads, so see who folks think will win each bracket.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would have liked Cornell over some of the other teams they might have played... but not Stanford. The Cardinal are just a huge team with the Lopez twins at 7-0 and 250+ each. Granted, Cornell is bigger than the usual Ivy champs we have seen in the past, but the notion that their big men can stay with Brook Lopez... wow, I just don't see that.
    I told myself before the bracket came out that I was going to pick Cornell to win their first round if they were matched up against either Stanford or UConn. Cornell is terrible against teams that can press and get lots of turnovers (definitely not Stanford and UConn), and I imagine they'll do well against a team whose defense centers around shot blockers and not guarding the three. I don't think Cornell has any way of stopping the Lopez's on offense though, so they need to get them in foul trouble. If they do that, Cornell has a legit shot. I would feel more confident about them against UConn, but I'll still take them over Stanford.

--Jason "as an aside, Memphis got the screw job from the selection committee having to perhaps play UT in Houston-- gonna be a sea of burnt orange for that game" Evans
    Oh great - I'll be traveling for work that weekend between Austin and Houston.

It'll be me, my rental car, and a huge caravan of UT fans heading west on 71 and I-10...

Only one person has picked Memphis in the poll... color me stunned at that one.

--Jason "I like Stanford, but still... Memphis is goood" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    I really can't believe that they gave Kentucky an at-large bid. That's not a slam on Kentucky -- they just had a comparatively weak season recrd, and a one-and-done in their conference tourney. I guess having an SEC member on the selection committee helps, huh?
    Oh that hurts. And I just watched the 86 Duke v UL game on ESPN Classic and chose not to grave dance on Duke because of the MUCHO respect I have for this board.

Anyway, It's as I predicted. UK made the field and many do not want to believe it. The stats were on thier side as was the history.

UK in the field

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I agree that Kentucky has likely been in the field for awhile now. But for clarification they didn't beat Tennessee recently, they beat them on Jan 22nd at Rupp with Patrick Patterson. They played Tenn very tough in Knoxville 2 weeks ago, but missed a 3 at the buzzer to force overtime.
    Yes they played Tennessee very tough WITHOUT Patrick Patterson on Tennessee's home court. Not bad for a bunch of Tubby Smith Recruits. Then after beating Florida for the first time in 8 tries it was apparant that UK deserved an at large.

I am just thankful that this year for UK is almost over. Going out in the First round to Marquette (a former national champ) is ok by me. Just get me to next year!!!

Guess who voted for UK to win the South Region on the Poll?

You guessed it!! Me.

I wanna know why everyone is so down on Memphis.

I had gone with Stanford but am starting to think I may switch because everyone seems to be picking against the Tigers.

My big concern is that Memphis is not at all battle-tested. Conference USA sucked this year -- it got just one bid, less than the Sun Belt and Mountain West conference. Frankly, there is a reason Memphis went unbeaten in conference play, they did not have to play anyone (even UAB was not all that good). While Memphis did play some very good teams in their non-conference slate, with the sole exception of the game at UConn in November, all the other games were in Memphis. Sorry, but playing home games does not prepare you for the NCAA tourney.

But, it still takes talent to win win win win and never lose (except to Tennessee). Heck, Duke lost games to teams that did not make the Dance. So did Carolina and most everyone else. Memphis didn't. Plus, since that tough games with Tennessee, Memphis has just been clobbering teams. Their current 7 game win streak features wins by 15, 9, 17, 38, 19, 16, and 26 points. They are beating everyone to a pulp.

So, someone make the case that this big, athletic, skilled team is such a bad Final Four pick.

-Jason "Help me understand" Evans

Bobby Knight

Someone explain to me why Bobby Knight picks Pitt to win the Championship. When I saw him make that prediction I felt two emotions...

Shock: I could not believe that BK was crazy enough to make that prediction

Humility: Maybe with all of his experience he is right. How crazy would that be?

I wanna know why everyone is so down on Memphis.

I had gone with Stanford but am starting to think I may switch because everyone seems to be picking against the Tigers.

My big concern is that Memphis is not at all battle-tested. Conference USA sucked this year -- it got just one bid, less than the Sun Belt and Mountain West conference. Frankly, there is a reason Memphis went unbeaten in conference play, they did not have to play anyone (even UAB was not all that good). While Memphis did play some very good teams in their non-conference slate, with the sole exception of the game at UConn in November, all the other games were in Memphis. Sorry, but playing home games does not prepare you for the NCAA tourney.

But, it still takes talent to win win win win and never lose (except to Tennessee). Heck, Duke lost games to teams that did not make the Dance. So did Carolina and most everyone else. Memphis didn't. Plus, since that tough games with Tennessee, Memphis has just been clobbering teams. Their current 7 game win streak features wins by 15, 9, 17, 38, 19, 16, and 26 points. They are beating everyone to a pulp.

So, someone make the case that this big, athletic, skilled team is such a bad Final Four pick.

-Jason "Help me understand" Evans

19. No deep analysis here -- I just think they'll have an exhausting, draining game against Pittsburgh which they'll narrowly win, and then to fall to a good, energized Texas team playing in Houston.

Plus their poor free throw shooting is bound to do them in against top competition like Texas, Pitt, Stanford, etc.

Yeah, for me, it's just Memphis' free throw shooting and their placement in the true toughest region around (would UNC want to trade places with Memphis? Heck no). Opponents just have to keep it close to stand a very good chance of beating Memphis at the end, and I see Memphis having to play 3 close games before the Final Four.