View Poll Results: Who will win the West Region?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • UCLA

54 38.57%
  • Duke

80 57.14%
  • Xavier

0 0%
  • UConn

2 1.43%
  • Drake

2 1.43%
  • Purdue

1 0.71%
  • West Virginia

0 0%
  • BYU

0 0%
  • Texas A&M

1 0.71%
  • Arizona

0 0%
  • Baylor

0 0%
  • WKy, San Diego, Georgia, Belmont, Miss Valley St

0 0%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    just a couple of things:

1) I share your dislike of Jim Calhoun. I think he is a loathsome human being and I also believe he runs his program in a very questionable fashion.

2) I wonder what your response would be if someone labeled everyone in the duke program a bunch of drunks/criminals following an incident that involved 1 or 2 players (and yes, I was familiar with the laptop scandal), and seasons removed from the incident, no less.

3) I don't really think it's all that difficult to understand why painting these players with a broad brush as criminals has racial overtones. But if you want me to elaborate further, I can send you a PM, to keep it off the boards.
    Cool, you've got your explanation and I've got mine.

Bottom line, UConn is on a plane home today and we are still playing. At this point, I really could not care less about them.

Time to focus on what matters-- POUNDING WEST VIRGINIA!!

--Jason "if it bothers you, I'll be more careful throwing around 'criminal' in the future" Evans

Can't say I didn't warn you. After seeing WVU play against us and in the Big East this year, I knew they were going to be a dangerous team, as are all the Big East teams in the tournament this year (well, except UConn apparently). I knew that Duke was going to have a hard time with WVU. Although I thought WVU was going to have get hot on 3-pointers too, I guess tough defense and a good game by Alexander was enough for them to win.

This is one year that I think the Big East truly is the best conference. They may not have the best team (that is yet to be decided), but top to bottom I think they are the strongest. And the Big East is young, and barring mass defections to the NBA, I think they will be the top conference next year too.

Even though they both had some success during the season, I actually think both UConn and Duke overachieved and were never as good as their records may have implied. However, with another year of experience for these relatively young teams, I think both have the potential to truly be top teams again.

I'll refrain from discussing the UConvict and Calhoun the Antichrist sentiments here. Although I obviously don't agree, that discussion never goes anywhere postive.
    Last edited by UConnJack; 03-22-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnJack View Post
    Can't say I didn't warn you. After seeing WVU play against us and in the Big East this year, I knew they were going to be a dangerous team, as are all the Big East teams in the tournament this year (well, except UConn apparently). I knew that Duke was going to have a hard time with WVU. Although I thought WVU was going to have get hot on 3-pointers too, I guess tough defense and a good game by Alexander was enough for them to win.
    Sorry, but I disagree. WVU did NOT play good defense for the most part. Duke flat out missed wide open 3's, something they haven't done for most of the year. It'd have been one thing if all or most of their 3's were contested, but they weren't. I'm going to be very surprised to see WVU win their next game - regardless of their opponent.

Gary

Questions About UCLA's win

The last plays:

1. Did Love walk? He pivoted on his right foot, planted his left foot father from the basket, lifted his right foot, leaned back and shot. Is that a walk, or is this the same move Green did in UNC last year that Feldspar said was a good play?

2. Was there a moving pick by Love on UCLA's final basket?

3. Did the ms kid get hit on the back of the wrist on the shot to tie?

If two of those three calls go the other way, and imo, no question but that 1 and 3 could have and 3 definitely should have, would Duke or UCLA have had the more successful season?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The last plays:

1. Did Love walk? He pivoted on his right foot, planted his left foot father from the basket, lifted his right foot, leaned back and shot. Is that a walk, or is this the same move Green did in UNC last year that Feldspar said was a good play?

2. Was there a moving pick by Love on UCLA's final basket?

3. Did the ms kid get hit on the back of the wrist on the shot to tie?

If two of those three calls go the other way, and imo, no question but that 1 and 3 could have and 3 definitely should have, would Duke or UCLA have had the more successful season?
    I can only answer 3 (and by MS, I assume you mean Texas A&M) - there was a great picture on the cover of the sports page of the LA Times this morning of Sloan's driving attempt at the end with Josh Shipp's hand wrapped firmly around Sloan's wrist. So short answer, yes - he got hacked.

That said, I was at the game yesterday, and could not have been more impressed with Kevin Love. During the last 10 minutes of the game, he was unstoppable on both offense and defense. A&M's forwards (who are pretty good scorers down low) kept going at him in the post, and he kept sending them away. Plus, as soon as he gets a finger on a loose ball, he doesn't let it go - a whole lot of scrums ended up with the ball wrapped up in Love's hands. And the shot he hit to take the lead (I think item #1 in greybeard's post) was just a huge, huge shot, walk or no walk. Those people in Love's camp for NPOY can cite yesterday's game as an example - he was an absolute force on both ends of the court.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

A more visual answer to #3:

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    A more visual answer to #3:

Sloan obviously drew the contact from the defender.

I now understand Duke hatred

My daughter went to UCLA and I admire the program.

But they beat Stanford this year when they got a ticky tack foul at the end of the game. A Cal player got hacked at the end of that game, no call. If they lose those games they might not be a #1 seed.

Then this nonsense yesterday.

Of course one call does not determine the game.

But I now want UCLA to lose. And I understand when we seemed to get the calls why so many wanted Duke to lose.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by UConnJack View Post
    Can't say I didn't warn you. After seeing WVU play against us and in the Big East this year, I knew they were going to be a dangerous team, as are all the Big East teams in the tournament this year (well, except UConn apparently)....

This is one year that I think the Big East truly is the best conference. They may not have the best team (that is yet to be decided), but top to bottom I think they are the strongest.
    ....and except GT, Notre Dame, Pitt, and Marquette, apparently. I guess I should've waited until all the second round games were done before claiming Big East dominance. I still think they are the best conference overall this year, but I expected more than just 3 teams to go to the sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. WVU did NOT play good defense for the most part. Duke flat out missed wide open 3's, something they haven't done for most of the year. It'd have been one thing if all or most of their 3's were contested, but they weren't. I'm going to be very surprised to see WVU win their next game - regardless of their opponent.

Gary
    True, Duke didn't do much to win this game, but I still think WVU did as much to win it. I have thought they'd be a sleeper team for quite some time now, I actually have WVU beating UCLA and going to the final four (along with Louisville from the Big East). I've thought all year that these two teams would be the best BE performers in the tournament