Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dare

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am pinning this bad boy to the top. I bet we get a nice flood of entries after the brackets go up tonight.

--Jason "would anyone dare not pick Duke to win in this pool?!?!" Evans
    I think I would.

I am really[!] bad at brackets, but let's go anyway

I'm in

Count me in...

I like to pick one bracket on gut feel (this one) and then pick one by really thinking about it. Neither usually do very well but inevitably my gut wins. I picked this bracket in less than 5 minutes.

So this year gut feel says.....Duke-Kansas in the final. Well, then of course I have to go with a score of 72-65. Duke Kicks Kans-as!!!

Though it'll be obvious once the games start, at least one of us unwittingly signed up for 2 entries by hitting the copy function after his first effort seemed to have been deleted. And now he sees no way for the 2nd entry to be deleted...

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The "locked group" function, from what I understand, is to prevent someone who has multiple brackets from switching out their bracket that is doing poorly for another one that is doing well mid-tournament.

Do not understand the "locked thing"--I have a bracket in another group--apparently that one is not locked?? Locked/private--not the same thing? I need to take some time when I can actually look at the rules. Will not be today. BTW--I am skin66 on this thing, because that is my ESPN name.

Try This

Though it'll be obvious once the games start, at least one of us unwittingly signed up for 2 entries by hitting the copy function after his first effort seemed to have been deleted. And now he sees no way for the 2nd entry to be deleted...
    I had the same problem. Here's what worked for me:

Click on the duplicate entry on the DBR page. Then click "edit entry setting". Then click "my groups" and select DBR. Then select "leave this group". This will delete only the duplicate entry.

BTW, I think it's only fair that, since we're not playing for money, only pride, we be limited to one bracket per person.

Does that sound fair? We've got a couple people with two brackets already.
    I have two brackets in the group for what I think is a good reason.

One (Brevity) contains my actual picks, while the other (Purely Chalk) is a mindless depiction of what would happen if the favored team always won.

I used to wonder if it was worth my time to ponder the matchups and predict upsets that may never happen, or if I'd just do better choosing the higher seed. Now, with a separate entry that acts entirely as an illustration, I (and others) will know.

I think it's a helpful measure, but if others have a real problem with this, I can remove the Purely Chalk entry. (I hesitate to mention that in an all-chalk entry, the overall number one seed is picked to win it all, which won't win any popularity points. But, to help balance it out, my Brevity bracket has UNC losing in the 2nd round.)

Just so no one gets angered or tries to kick one of the entries out of the group...there are two entries under the name D. Aldridge. One is me, and the other is my dad. He reads DBR and occasionally checks the boards but doesn't really post. It's a family fued!

espn

if we enter the dbr pool listed at the beginning of this thread, does that make us eligible for the money prize in espn's bracket challenge or are they two separate things?

i got plans for that 10G!

I also entered 2 brackets

One was a bit mindless (picked winners based on W-L record), the other was gut - and Duke winning, of course. Do I need to remove one of them?

Whoops!

I've got 4 brackets in because I filled them out before I read all of this thread. Is this going to bother anyone?

Well, besides you, Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I've got 4 brackets in because I filled them out before I read all of this thread. Is this going to bother anyone?

Well, besides you, Jason.
    While not truly upset about it at all, I fully agree with Jason. This contest is about accurately predicting who will advance using a combination of skill and luck. If you win with four brackets, it takes the "good job!" and the "Wow!" factor out of it.

Kind of like if I asked you to pick a number between one and five, and you get four guesses. No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I used to wonder if it was worth my time to ponder the matchups and predict upsets that may never happen, or if I'd just do better choosing the higher seed. Now, with a separate entry that acts entirely as an illustration, I (and others) will know.
    On average you'll do better by just picking favorites, but if your goal is to win a pool instead of simply doing above average, you need to pick some upsets.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

I am batting 1.000!

I RULE!

-EarlJam

Not doing quite as well

Obviously, I lack the Earl of Jam's skill in selecting winners. My first bracket (the one doing the best) I didn't think about my selections at all - I went strictly by win-loss record. I only have 50% of the possible points so far on the one where I actually thought about my selections. At least there's still time for the numbers to improve a bit.

Congrats to juise, wolfpacker and Wray, who are all 16-0 after the first day!!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    While not truly upset about it at all, I fully agree with Jason. This contest is about accurately predicting who will advance using a combination of skill and luck. If you win with four brackets, it takes the "good job!" and the "Wow!" factor out of it.

Kind of like if I asked you to pick a number between one and five, and you get four guesses. No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

-EarlJam

That hurt.

Congrats to juise, wolfpacker and Wray, who are all 16-0 after the first day!!
    Thanks! In all my other 4 brackets I had Kent St. winning, so this is the only one that I'm 16/16. Good luck to everyone tomorrow... except for those of us who have UNC winning. I hope I'm 15/16 tomorrow.

why is this not pegged anymore? It is my link to the brackets and the password?