Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bobcats Arena Security threatens to throw Duke students out for GTHC cheer

Charlotte Bobcats Arena Security just threatened to throw a number of Duke students out if they chant Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell again. Needless to say they are infuriated.

2. Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post
    Charlotte Bobcats Arena Security just threatened to throw a number of Duke students out if they chant Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell again. Needless to say they are infuriated.
    Wow, are you actually on-site reporting this?

Think they'll do the same thing when "F you Paulus" starts up? Because I'd put money on that happening...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Think they'll do the same thing when "F you Paulus" starts up? Because I'd put money on that happening...
    The cheer or them getting tossed?

P.S. I know what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Wow, are you actually on-site reporting this?
    No my daughter called me about it.

I am leaving my office now to head down for tonight's games.

She said it was the Va Tech fans that complained.

Have them ask for a supervisor... and keep doing so until they get the answer they like.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post
    No my daughter called me about it.

I am leaving my office now to head down for tonight's games.

She said it was the Va Tech fans that complained.
    Yeah, those VT fans are a gentle lot.

I'm not saying I agree with the arena security people... but if we're talking about like a group of four Duke fans off by themselves in the middle or near non-UNC fans shouting it in a neutral arena when Duke isn't even on the floor... if nothing else they probably just come off looking really stupid.

I mean I would never shout that unless I was back in the Cameron student section but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with the arena security people... but if we're talking about like a group of four Duke fans off by themselves in the middle or near non-UNC fans shouting it in a neutral arena when Duke isn't even on the floor... if nothing else they probably just come off looking really stupid.

I mean I would never shout that unless I was back in the Cameron student section but maybe that's just me.
    Carolina is on the floor. That's as good a time as any to tell them where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, they are the CAROLINA bobcats...
    and they can go to hell as well.

I agree with Bobcat security. The word "Hell" is extremely offensive and if I were a prude attending the game, I would not want to hear such a damaging and imflammatory word either. I can't imagine anything worse.

Not to mention, with Seth Green and D. Washington, the VT Team itself has raised the bar on ethical conduct to quite a high level.

What a bunch of poong-taters. Reminds me of when I was at an Atlanta Falcons game. The Falcons scored, and my friends and I got up and screamed and yelled with the other 11,000 in attendance to celebrate the Falcon's pulling to within 23. Some fuddy-dud behind us tapped us on the shoulder and asked rather sternly if we would "sit down and be quiet."

People like that, and the VD Hoagies team alike can just go to Hell. I say again, Go to Hell VD, Go to Hell!

-EJ Jazzy Dan and the Fresh Mints

I can see how that could be offensive to some people that have kids or families at the game, maybe that should be reserved for Cameron Indoor Stadium. We are already hated as a team, fanbase, university, etc...no need to fan the flames. Just my opinion.

The only reason I can see this happening is because of last week's tragedy in Chapel Hill. Obviously, Va Tech fans had their own tragedy last year, so I'm sure they're sympathetic toward Carolina.

I really don't care if they are doing that chant, but I can see the reasoning for some people at the arena being upset.

it's ok right now. thinking otherwise is ludicrous, imo. now i wouldn't just run around willy nilly chanting it but when carolina is playing and you've got enough duke fans there to make it hear i say go for it. and if we get ourselves in a blowout game then i say go for it. but if you're a small island amongst other team's fans then you better use some comon sense.

that chant is less offensive than 5 minutes of VH1, sports talk radio, or half the movies shown on the abc family channel.

Update

I just talked to my Daughter again. She told me she started yelling at the VA Tech guy that D. Washington is a punk. Then the Va Tech guy got in a shouting match with an older lady Iron Duke who told him if you can say in church you can say it in a basketball game.

She also told me that the UNC fans nearby had no problem with it (anymore than they ever do).

I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history. Of course I will let him know that he can go to hell if he is there tonight.

Isn't there a UNC fight song that includes Go to H#$@ Duke in it?

I just talked to my Daughter again. She told me she started yelling at the VA Tech guy that D. Washington is a punk. Then the Va Tech guy got in a shouting match with an older lady Iron Duke who told him if you can say in church you can say it in a basketball game.
    She also told me that the UNC fans nearby had no problem with it (anymore than they ever do).

I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history. Of course I will let him know that he can go to hell if he is there tonight.

Isn't there a UNC fight song that includes Go to H#$@ Duke in it?
    Dang - our fans are smart. What a quick comeback.

Perhaps it should just be yelled in code. I can hear the Duke faithful now: 9F, Carolina, 9F.

GTH, C, GTH.

Wink Waiting for the Paulus jeers

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Dang - our fans are smart. What a quick comeback.

Perhaps it should just be yelled in code. I can hear the Duke faithful now: 9F, Carolina, 9F.

GTH, C, GTH.
    The proper cheer for 9F is done a la TAR ... HOLES ... (or RED/WHITE, WOLF/PACK, etc...)

NINE!
    EFFFFFFF!
    NINE!
    EFFFFF!

However, the censorship deities mandate that yours is a suitable stopgap, until the censorship issue hits the national media.

9F Cheers,
    Lavabe

Maybe the VPI fans are just cognizant they have one of their own down there, and don't want the place to get overrun with UNC folks.

I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history.
    Or a sense of humor.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I can see how that could be offensive to some people that have kids or families at the game, maybe that should be reserved for Cameron Indoor Stadium. We are already hated as a team, fanbase, university, etc...no need to fan the flames. Just my opinion.
    Is this cheer something that is only exclusive to Duke? I thought many of the schools did the GTCH cheer. My dad, who went to NC State during the David Thompson days, has told me stories about how they would go the top of their dorm building and have contests with other dorm buildings seeing who could be louder with the GTHC chant. I just thought the GTHC thing was universal?