Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BillyD rips his team

This is really harsh, isn't it? I guess that's his way to motivate this team.

Billy Donovan: correction

After Florida's quick exit from the SEC tournament thanks to Alabama:

""You can't lose three [NBA] lottery picks for the first time in the history of the sport ... and not expect to miss a beat," Donovan said. "That's not an excuse, that's reality."

Where was he in 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I guess that's his way to motivate this team.
    No, it's his little whiny boy way of venting because his players are making him look bad.

Backing out from the Orlando gig is looking like a very foolish move now.

Puts last season for Duke into perspective. Yeah, '07 was bad, but it could've been worse with that kind of youth. Florida is probably NIT-bound.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Backing out from the Orlando gig is looking like a very foolish move now.
    Not really. Florida should rule the SEC East next season. Calathes and Lucas are both real talents, and they've got some serious big guys coming in next year to run with them. If Speights returns as well, they should be a top 15 team at the very least.

Wow... from the link at the top...

Donovan quote:
    "For whatever reason, I haven't brought it out in them. They're not committed to it. But I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest. I don't think people change a whole lot, and I don't think you've seen the basketball team change at all this year. So it's hard for me to get overly thrilled or excited."

Did he really recruit these guys? Not excited about next year? I'm not sure it's "motivation"... sounds more like he's given up on them... sad. It must be the "spur of the moment" rant...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Wow... from the link at the top...

Donovan quote:
    "For whatever reason, I haven't brought it out in them. They're not committed to it. But I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest. I don't think people change a whole lot, and I don't think you've seen the basketball team change at all this year. So it's hard for me to get overly thrilled or excited."

Did he really recruit these guys? Not excited about next year? I'm not sure it's "motivation"... sounds more like he's given up on them... sad. It must be the "spur of the moment" rant...
    Wow, I can't believe that a coach would ever say something like that publicly. I guess that I could understand him thinking it and maybe saying it to his wife or an assistant but the media? Wow!

Its not unlike Jim Calhoun last season where he said that some of his players should consider doing something else than playing for the Huskies. I'm not a fan of that attitude at all, particularly if you have a young team. Maybe it motivates some players, but it would make me question my loyalty to my coach if he is going to publicly question my commitment or ability. I'm so glad that K never hung last years team out to dry, he took the responsibility. Never once did I hear him say "some of these kids should reconsider suiting up for Duke next year" or anything to that effect. He knew that last year's team was young and was lacking in confidence, particularly during the end of the season. He didn't bail out and this year's team has responded. Billy D may be speaking out of frustration but it reflects poorly on him as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    After Florida's quick exit from the SEC tournament thanks to Alabama:

""You can't lose three [NBA] lottery picks for the first time in the history of the sport ... and not expect to miss a beat," Donovan said. "That's not an excuse, that's reality."

Where was he in 1999?
    If memory serves me correctly...Marvin Williams, Felton, McCants and May were selected in the 2005 Draft at 2, 5, 13 and 14.

Malicious or motivational?

I found nothing offensive or demeaning in Donovan's comments. He named no individuals and criticized his own performance as well. I only saw the highlights (or lowlights, if you're Billy D), and was shocked that Alabama stomped them so badly. I doubt I'd be very generous in my assessments in that situation...

And I recall Coach K has called out the Devils from time to time, e.g., "we're not a very good team right now", etc. Seems very similar to me...

I also doubt it was a pre-meditated motivational ploy, but it's still a good way to light a fire under the Florida boys for their summer workouts. Depending on how their frosh play, next year they might even draw comparisons to this year's Devils...

Turk

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I found nothing offensive or demeaning in Donovan's comments. He named no individuals and criticized his own performance as well. I only saw the highlights (or lowlights, if you're Billy D), and was shocked that Alabama stomped them so badly. I doubt I'd be very generous in my assessments in that situation...

And I recall Coach K has called out the Devils from time to time, e.g., "we're not a very good team right now", etc. Seems very similar to me...

I also doubt it was a pre-meditated motivational ploy, but it's still a good way to light a fire under the Florida boys for their summer workouts. Depending on how their frosh play, next year they might even draw comparisons to this year's Devils...

Turk
    I agree that Donovan's comments weren't exactly out of line. His kids don't play the game with enthusiasm and commitment. Does some of the blame fall on him? Of course, but the bottom line is that the players play the game.

While neither coach went over the line (IMO), Coach K and Donovan's comments are not the same. When Coach K said the team wasn't very good last year, he wasn't demeaning them; he was telling the truth. He was also the first to mention Paulus and Gerald missed most of the preseason with injuries. Even this year, Coach K said we're not a great team but we have to potential to be very good; another assessment I agree with. Coach K's comments are more of a "we are what we are and we'll do the best with what we have" deal where Donovan's comments are "I need to get my kids to play harder and better". Effort wasn't and isn't the issue with Duke. Two very different situations and types of comments.

K definitely rips into his players...but he saves the most withering criticism for private meetings. I'm thinking of famous/infamous rips of JJ (after the 2004 Final Four) and Boozer (during his sophomore year, I believe), where both players reported being really shaken after the meetings. I'm sure there are many other similar stories.

Coaches like Roy and Donovan seem to be more comfortable throwing their players under the bus publicly -- the names may be veiled, but there's a lot less subtlety relative to the way K and other coaches handle things. Different ways to motivate their players, I guess, though I'm not a fan of the public approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I agree that Donovan's comments weren't exactly out of line. His kids don't play the game with enthusiasm and commitment. Does some of the blame fall on him? Of course, but the bottom line is that the players play the game.

While neither coach went over the line (IMO), Coach K and Donovan's comments are not the same. When Coach K said the team wasn't very good last year, he wasn't demeaning them; he was telling the truth. He was also the first to mention Paulus and Gerald missed most of the preseason with injuries. Even this year, Coach K said we're not a great team but we have to potential to be very good; another assessment I agree with. Coach K's comments are more of a "we are what we are and we'll do the best with what we have" deal where Donovan's comments are "I need to get my kids to play harder and better". Effort wasn't and isn't the issue with Duke. Two very different situations and types of comments.
    The reason I disagree is that he wasn't criticizing his team in a way that said "we have to do better" or "we should be better." He basically said "I don't like these kids, and don't really want to coach them again next year." If my coach said that I'd probably transfer. Completely serious. If it was supposed to be a motivational rip then it was the worst executed motivational tool I've ever seen. If it was spur of the moment he needs to work on the filter between what he thinks and what he says. If it was planned, he's just an idiot.

If I had kids, I would never want them to play for him (I would have been indifferent before the whole Orlando thing) at this point. No class, no control. Those things are at least true today.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He basically said "I don't like these kids, and don't really want to coach them again next year."
    I think your thought is more in line with what I thought his quote was that I got from the ESPN article... which was...
    "But I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest. I don't think people change a whole lot, and I don't think you've seen the basketball team change at all this year. So it's hard for me to get overly thrilled or excited."

Then, looking at the different ways that the thought is presented... I started thinking (since I only got the quote out of the article, and didn't see/hear it in an interview)... what if the article mis-quoted Donovan, kinda like how Coach K's "injury quote" was apparently mis-quoted... possible?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I think your thought is more in line with what I thought his quote was that I got from the ESPN article... which was...
    "But I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest. I don't think people change a whole lot, and I don't think you've seen the basketball team change at all this year. So it's hard for me to get overly thrilled or excited."

Then, looking at the different ways that the thought is presented... I started thinking (since I only got the quote out of the article, and didn't see/hear it in an interview)... what if the article mis-quoted Donovan, kinda like how Coach K's "injury quote" was apparently mis-quoted... possible?
    Went back and re-read the article... I didn't realize Florida came out of the gate and fell behind 30-5. Yikes, it was even worse than I thought...

Funny thing is, I forgot to consider their season is not over. Let's see how this plays out in the NIT; they could flame in the 1st round against some disrespected mid-major with a chip on its shoulder, or the Gators could even win the thing...

Turk

IMO it is completely different from what K says or has ever said. After we floundered through the end of the season and lost in the first round of the ACCT and the NCAAT, did K ever say anything remotely close to "I'm not really excited about coaching these kids next year?"

Sheesh.

Billy is still angry

He has locked them out of their $12 mil practice facility and won't let them wear Florida gear while they prepare for the NIT. Urban Myers had done the same thing to the fball team a couple of years ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7...ctice-facility

Quote Originally Posted by devilboomer View Post
    If memory serves me correctly...Marvin Williams, Felton, McCants and May were selected in the 2005 Draft at 2, 5, 13 and 14.
    This is correct. BD = massive dbag

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He has locked them out of their $12 mil practice facility and won't let them wear Florida gear while they prepare for the NIT. Urban Myers had done the same thing to the fball team a couple of years ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7...ctice-facility

Billy the D may be in serious contention for "Tewel of the Year." No St Paddy's love for him, that's for sure.

Billy D

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Billy the D may be in serious contention for "Tewel of the Year." No St Paddy's love for him, that's for sure.
    Well winning two NC in a row gives him the power to teach his kids a lesson if he feels it is deserved. His methods are not that unusual. Plenty of coaches, even coach K, has used a similar tactic to get his team's attention. He may not have called them out in public but he has punished the team. I expect his kids will get the message and perform at a high level from here on out.