Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very, very few people have carped about the ribbons, and Roy has been quite gracious about Duke's handling of the tragedy.

I can imagine that the staff didn't wear ribbons for one of two reasons: a) they didn't pay attention to the ribbons (e.g., felt them relatively unimportant or were just so focused on the game that they didn't see that hundreds/thousands of people were wearing light blue to the Carolina game; there's no way that they couldn't have acquired a ribbon from someone if they'd been motivated--would you turn down Johnny Dawkins if he asked for your lapel ribbon?) or, b) they decided they'd honored the young woman's memory and didn't feel it necessary for the coaching staff to wear a representation of the opposing team on its lapel during the most important game, thus far, in the season. My hunch is that it's 'b,' but public figures like K recognize that explorations of ambiguity lead to sensationalism in the media.

As for K not catching any breaks from the media, puuhhhlleeze. Despite the fact that, over the past decade, he has made himself about as available as the Pope, Duke retains an image as the best basketball program in the country. Where do you think that image comes from? While it may feel like our rightful position, such images are created by the same media that sporadically goes after our coach and team.

In Carolina's defense.......Inside Carolina is usually nothing but one big "Duke bashing." However, each time this topic has come up on IC the last couple days, numerous posters have come back saying that Coach K has done nothing wrong this time and have thanked him for the respect he showed at the game. So yes there are some fanatical fans that are going to hate no matter what, but there are some classy UNC fans who have actually showed support to Duke and Coach K on this matter. I actually posted on IC and thanked them for their support in this difficult time. It is time we quit trying to make Coach K the "bad guy" and focus on actually finding the real "bad guy" and see proper justice for this awful crime he committed.

This whole situation is so incredibly ridiculous. Nobody is bashing Roy for putting tape over the Duke symbol on his chair, if it were reversed and we were visiting carolina and K did that, everyone would say he was being a hypocrite as he's saying he's reaching out to the rival with one hand while besmirching their symbol with the other.

To prevent possibly getting torn to shreds, I didn't see that the symbol had be taped over, I saw someone else mention it in a thread, so if this didn't happen, my bad.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I had no idea that there was any such thing as a “ribbon controversy” until last night. Hell, I was at the game, and I don’t remember seeing any ribbons. Of course, my vision was artificially blurred to a great degree.
    Anyway, the wife of a friend of mine is a UNC graduate, and she assailed me over Coach K not wearing a ribbon. I explained that I was not aware of the issue, but she continued to let loose with a barrage of insults that would make a hooker blush. I told her to calm down, and I asked her whom she thought had organized the whole tribute in the first place. This did nothing to quell her anger and vitriol directed toward K. I am sure you all know the typical epithets. Well, I learned a few new ones last night.
    Finally, I told her that I had no clue why K didn’t wear a ribbon, but that I was glad he didn’t. I said that I would not have worn one for the same reason that I would not wear a red, Aids ribbon, a pink, breast cancer ribbon, or a yellow, come home troops ribbon. Ribbons don’t do a damn thing!
    So 9F, and take your sissy-blue ribbons with you!

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Very, very few people have carped about the ribbons, and Roy has been quite gracious about Duke's handling of the tragedy.

I can imagine that the staff didn't wear ribbons for one of two reasons: a) they didn't pay attention to the ribbons (e.g., felt them relatively unimportant or were just so focused on the game that they didn't see that hundreds/thousands of people were wearing light blue to the Carolina game; there's no way that they couldn't have acquired a ribbon from someone if they'd been motivated--would you turn down Johnny Dawkins if he asked for your lapel ribbon?) or, b) they decided they'd honored the young woman's memory and didn't feel it necessary for the coaching staff to wear a representation of the opposing team on its lapel during the most important game, thus far, in the season. My hunch is that it's 'b,' but public figures like K recognize that explorations of ambiguity lead to sensationalism in the media.

As for K not catching any breaks from the media, puuhhhlleeze. Despite the fact that, over the past decade, he has made himself about as available as the Pope, Duke retains an image as the best basketball program in the country. Where do you think that image comes from? While it may feel like our rightful position, such images are created by the same media that sporadically goes after our coach and team.
    During his post game comments, Coach K answered the question about why he and the team weren't wearing ribbons. Why people continue to try to interpret or extract something else is nothing but talk. It appears that even some Duke fans are unable to accept what the Coach says about what he was thinking or doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I was at the game in Cameron Saturday night. The words in bold are an overstatement of what actually took place. There were many people who did not have on ribbons. The ribbons were not even being handed out at each entrance. Some chose not to wear one, others didn't wear one because the ribbons ran out. The students bought and prepared the ribbons themselves, no one else.
    I was there as well and saw very few ribbons. The only thing they were handing out at my entrance was the 800 Win placard. From what I understood, they only had enough for about half of Cameron, and they were going to concentrate at passing them out in the student lines before the game. Anyone using this as an excuse to bash Coach K is low class.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I actually think he handled it really well, it would have been perfectly handled had he not gone at all down the "there going to always find something" path, but he is human and I think I would probably would have done the same thing. I did like the way that he kept referencing it in terms of an individual or "someone" and not UNC the institution that was taking him to task.

Frankly the better way to handle it might have been to give it absolutely no mind at all. No comment, move on, you are above some idiots petty BS..but again he is human and its hard not to defend yourself when you feel like you handled things the right way.

Guarantee you that most UNC fans agree with his take on this and found the whole game setting to be nothing but respectful...

How ridiculous. FWIW, on the way home last night, I was listening to ESPN radio and a UNC fan called in to thank Duke and Coach K profusely and sincerely for what they did to honor Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    As for K not catching any breaks from the media, puuhhhlleeze.
    Sorry, I totally disagree. Coach K and Duke have been ripped new ones for about 10 years now, but especially since our friends Packer and the sweaty one whined about the officiating back in '01. Since then I've seen far, far more hate for Duke on a national level than I have anything close to respect or admiration or love. And I'm sick and tired of it too. Every time I turn around I'm seeing or reading slights aimed at Duke. Some are subtle. Many are not. But make no mistake - Duke is the #1 most hated program in college basketball today. And this in spite of the fact that it's been 7 years since we won a national title and 4 since we seriously challenged for one. So I'm not buying the "everyone hates Duke only because we are good" spiel anymore. It goes deeper than that. There are many factors in play here, but being good is only one of them. Heck, if being good is the reason then UNC should be more hated than us at this point - but they aren't. No, they are loved by the national media and Roy Williams is deified. But not Coach K and Duke. It's very one-sided and it's getting really old.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I was at the game in Cameron Saturday night. The words in bold are an overstatement of what actually took place. There were many people who did not have on ribbons. The ribbons were not even being handed out at each entrance. Some chose not to wear one, others didn't wear one because the ribbons ran out. The students bought and prepared the ribbons themselves, no one else.

The way the moment of silence was observed was very moving to all but the most cynical. In his post game comments Coach Williams praised all the things Duke did to honor Eve. Coach K was asked to comment in his post game remarks. He explained that the team's way of honoring Eve was in the moment of silence. He said that the ribbons were a student to student effort. Somehow trying to project what Coach K was thinking or feeling beyond what he said seems to be conjecture, not fact.
    I was at the game and did not even know there were any ribbons until today. In fact, I did not know K told the fans not to chant 9F, which is probably why I was the only one in the place screaming it (oops!)

Coach K has demonstrated to more than one fanbase that he is hard to hate:

1. NC State---his care, concern, and friendship for Jim Valvano was noticed by many of the Wolfpack faitful
    2. Wake Forest---the yellow tie demonstration of respect for the late Coach Skip Prosser was appreciated by many Demon Deacs
    3. UNC---the silence and tribute on the occasion of Eve Carson's murder
    4. Maryland---K and Gary seem to have a very good personal relationship (not all Terp fans have gotten the memo)

Coach K is a fine, decent man in addition to being a great coach. Those who believe otherwise have a difficult burden of proof.

Hate can interfere with a person's being able to recognize or accept kindnesses from those they hate.

I want names!

This entire 'controversy' is just absurd - bringing it up at this difficult time is disrespectful to the memory of Eve Carson and to the grieving family and friends. Coach K and the Duke community (as well as the UNC staff and team) have done the right thing in honoring Eve at the game - by all accounts she was a special person and deserved such. That anyone can even question the intentions of the Duke staff in light of this tragedy, particularly considering the extent to which Coach K and Duke went to honor Eve with the blessing of the UNC community, is unfathomable.

I've heard reference to the media synthesizing this controversy - is there a definitive starting point of this nonsense? Whomever started this should be called out - I want names!

I am a UNC grad and one of the people who posted a comment on the WTVD website. As I said in my comment, I commend Coach K and Duke for all that they did before and during last Saturday's game. I was especially moved my some of Coach K's comments before the game in which he was visibly emotional about what it would be like to lose one of his daughters. I was not upset that he did not wear a ribbon considering all of the other things he did. However, at the time I did not think carried himself particularly well in yesterday's press conference by saying that people will always look for him to do something wrong and call him out for it.

Looking back on it, I can see why he got angry because he had already answered the question at a previous press conference. The media and some fans are making a too much of a big deal about the ribbon and are ignoring all that was done by Duke and Coach K to honor Eve. As someone who knew Eve personally, thanks for all you did last week and I am sorry some people are making a big deal about the ribbon. There are obviously more important things to think about right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jgflava View Post
    I am a UNC grad and one of the people who posted a comment on the WTVD website. As I said in my comment, I commend Coach K and Duke for all that they did before and during last Saturday's game. I was especially moved my some of Coach K's comments before the game in which he was visibly emotional about what it would be like to lose one of his daughters. I was not upset that he did not wear a ribbon considering all of the other things he did. However, at the time I did not think carried himself particularly well in yesterday's press conference by saying that people will always look for him to do something wrong and call him out for it.

Looking back on it, I can see why he got angry because he had already answered the question at a previous press conference. The media and some fans are making a too much of a big deal about the ribbon and are ignoring all that was done by Duke and Coach K to honor Eve. As someone who knew Eve personally, thanks for all you did last week and I am sorry some people are making a big deal about the ribbon. There are obviously more important things to think about right now.

Well said, and thanks for bringing some sanity to the conversation.

Fair Shake

Call me an idiot, but as well meaing as wearing the ribbons were you don't wear the opposing schools colors especially when playing them. Just like wearing the "green" shirts earlier this year in support of the "going green campain". Wear Duke shirts and colors only. The moment of silence was appropriate, the black patches with EVE written on them the UNC players wore were much more appropriate.

All that being said (Go ahead and send me hate messages for my opinion on the previous paragraph.) Duke is NEVER going to get a fair shake in the media and by opposing fans. The anti-Duke tsunami thread listed 1000 ways Duke is hated and disrespected. But it isn't going away unless Duke goes away for ten years. Duke can hire a PR team and do everything they suggest. But the bias against Duke is so deeply engrained and spurred by MD, UNC, ESPN etc. Fans see Duke now seen as the evil empire much like the yankees in baseball and the USA in much of the world. It is NOT going away no matter how much things like this controversy tick us off. Every action and word a Duke player or coach does / says is put under a microscope and examined. It is going to continue and I for one say let them say what they want.

When Duke plays an away game the crowds are louder than they are all year. That shows the Duke hatred but it also shows Duke is seen as the team to beat and the school universities most want to be like. Their games on ESPN are the highest rated because non-duke fans tune it and hope they lose. That again shows the power Duke hatred has over this nation. Face it people Duke is hated because they are consistantly good, they have intelligent players, the school focuses on academics and 9 games out of 10 they beat those other teams. The hatred should be seen as applause in a way, to be hated is to be respected. Duke is NEVER going to please everyone, so why try. I know Coach K is sick of answering stupid media questions about stupid controversies. In fact if anything keeps him from breaking the all time wins mark I think it would most likely be disgust with the way Duke is perceived. But in truth there isn't a damn thing anyone can really do about it. If I were Duke I would close ALL media out of post game interviews. I wouldn't grant interviews or allow my players to talk to the media. I'd be willing to bet the ESPN's of the world would have less need for a few reporters. And as someone who hates the media in general the world would be a better place. (And less jobs for UNC grads.)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jgflava View Post

Unfortunately, about four commenters after you continue to go after K.

The Daily Tar H--l comment board seems particularly rampant with folks who are upset with K. Hopefully you will post your comments there once the paper is open after spring break.

Maybe things will pass as the process of mourning continues.

Lavabe

Many do appreciate what was done

I just got back from my annual tax prep meeting with my CPA. He's a UNC grad and a big Ram's Club member. The first thing he did was to ask me whether I had attended the game Saturday. I told him that I was there. He then spoke at some length to express thanks for the classy and compassionate way Duke recognized Eve Carson Saturday. He was truly moved by what was done wanted to express his appreciation on a person to person to person basis....
    I have received this sort of appreciation from many acquaintances who are Tar Heel fans... people who were responding on a person to person basis. The people who complain in the newspaper or online I just choose to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Coach K has demonstrated to more than one fanbase that he is hard to hate:

1. NC State---his care, concern, and friendship for Jim Valvano was noticed by many of the Wolfpack faitful
    2. Wake Forest---the yellow tie demonstration of respect for the late Coach Skip Prosser was appreciated by many Demon Deacs
    3. UNC---the silence and tribute on the occasion of Eve Carson's murder
    4. Maryland---K and Gary seem to have a very good personal relationship (not all Terp fans have gotten the memo)

Coach K is a fine, decent man in addition to being a great coach. Those who believe otherwise have a difficult burden of proof.
    I was surprised he didn't wear a ribbon, simply because of his prior sartorial efforts at honoring people who have died. That said, those efforts were related to people within the basketball community, and not on the student-to-student or university-to-university (i.e.- black bands for VT and April 16) arena.

Cool I can be equally unreasonable...

...if Roy were a real man, he would have given K HIS ribbon.