Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Coach K angry at ribbon controversy

I 100% agree. It was a student to student thing that was brought up by the DUKE STUDENTS!!!!! K didn't come up with it, but knuckle heads in the media, UNC fans, etc...starting whining, and crying about it. Now it's out in the media and he has to answer questions about it just like "the comment that wasn't a comment." Pathetic that this was even made out as a story and had enough legs as it did. I'd said a lot more than he did, and not been as nice about it. Especially after that last episode.

I think whats angering K the most is they are taking a gesture to honor someone who lost their life as yet another tit for tat in a college basketball rivalry. "our coach is better cause he wore a ribbon, K didn't, he's such a jerk" Give me a break. You could tell in that interview that he was almost in disbelief that his motives get questioned yet again even though he went above and beyond to honor Eve Carson. Its like he can't do anything to please the media at this point. They want to hate him, they want to call him a jerk, call him a hypocrite. Even some of the (more reasonable) UNC fans think this is going overboard. I have a few choice words for the media that would be frowned upon by the DBR terms of service, so instead I will virtually shake my fist at them.

Was there nearly as much vitriol when Roy Williams chased after Skip Prosser's recruits the week after he died?

Or how every good memory Roy mentioned of Skip was Prosser praising Williams?

You just have to shake your head at UNC fans sometimes. It's beyond absurd that Coach K would receive criticism for not wearing the ribbon when it was he and Duke that spearheaded the effort in the first place to honor Eve and provide her with a moment of silence as well as bring the two teams together for an embrace before the tip. I'm at a lost for words. I don't know what to compare it to. Is it like giving a gift of $10,000 to someone and having them turn around and criticize you for giving it in stacks of $20s instead of $100s? Actually, that's not even it. I can't even come up with a proper analogy for this level of hatred, for those UNC fans who dared to use Eve Carson to criticize Coach K and the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

It makes me wish more UNC fans were dead to be honest. Okay, I kid. But it's absurd.
    I won't go that far, but some of them have really lost touch with reality when it comes to Ewe NC basketball.

It takes a lack of integrity to even have a mind that could conjure up such a "controversy". In no way does such sleaziness reflect on the caring shown by real human beings for one another. Next play.
    Last edited by killerleft; 03-11-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: undangling a participle

So far, none of the UNC fans who've posted comments on the video have accused K of dissing Eve Carson. One calls it an inadvertent PR mistake; the others agree with K that he has nothing to apologize for.

The whole thing is beyond mind-boggling. Implicit in the criticism of K is the suggestion that he deliberately decided not to wear a ribbon, which suggests that he deliberately intended to make some sort of insidious point by not wearing the ribbon. That is simply outrageous.

While, in this information overflow era, it may be true that some knuckleheads on fansites and elsewhere raise these issues, and while it may be true that, as the link suggests, come called the news to inquire, the media has an obligation, in my mind, not to treat everything as a "story" that must be disseminated yet more broadly. Just because "dozens" of people called or emailed the news station, doesn't mean they should bite.

What a world we live in. If K ever leaves early, it will be because of crap like this.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    So far, none of the UNC fans who've posted comments on the video have accused K of dissing Eve Carson. One calls it an inadvertent PR mistake; the others agree with K that he has nothing to apologize for.
    Actually, a couple of the replies so far have come from ***. One suggested that this controversy was K's fault and another suggested that he acted unclassy in the press conference. I mean, seriously. These people are certifiable.
    Last edited by MulletMan; 03-12-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Language

In Fantasyland, Roy would make another point of defending Mike.

Yeah, silly of me, I know...

Not quite true

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    Sort of. In one of the comments, K's reaction on the clip is called into question:
    "With that said, he should have conducted himself with class and courtesy during today's press conference instead of acting like everyone is out to get him."

Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Actually, a couple of the replies so far have come from ***. One suggested that this controversy was K's fault and another suggested that he acted unclassy in the press conference. I mean, seriously. These people are certifiable.
    This is the reason why I generally don't attack Ol Roy for what he says in press conferences, I don't want to be one of those ***. I'm not going to say that everything he says is right or doesn't deserve some scrutiny (K deserves a bit as well) but I have better things to do with my life than twist every single quote by some basketball coach to fit my skewed worldview just because I don't like his team. I really hate it when people do that to K, so I don't really care to do that to do that to Ol Roy, Sweatin' Gary or anyone else. Also no a big fan of cognitive dissonance.
    Last edited by MulletMan; 03-12-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Language

Angry

The UNC fanbase is why I could never cheer for their school even though my sister and brother graduated there. They are petty mean spirited people who show no class or respect for Duke. We honor their dead but thats not good enough. I have seen remarks at Foxsports comments and elsewhere and its reprehensible.Hopefully Danny Green and his teammates will fall short of a championship, just so their awful fans will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Hopefully Danny Green and his teammates will fall short of a championship, just so their awful fans will suffer.
    AMEN! Do you know how many times people have asked me over the past few days why K wasn't wearing a ribbon? Come on, i know unc fans are not that smart, but do they really think K would DELIBERATELY dishonor the memory of Eve Carson by not wearing a ribbon? this is borderline ridiculous.

There is no greater feeling that wearing a Duke shirt the day after UNC's season has just ended.

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    AMEN! Do you know how many times people have asked me over the past few days why K wasn't wearing a ribbon? Come on, i know unc fans are not that smart, but do they really think K would DELIBERATELY dishonor the memory of Eve Carson by not wearing a ribbon? this is borderline ridiculous.

There is no greater feeling that wearing a Duke shirt the day after UNC's season has just ended.
    K told the students not to use the GTHCGTH cheer. What more could he possibly do to honor Eve Carson other than throw the game? Me thinks it is time to tell Coach K about 9F so he can tell the media where they can go! We can call it 9FM - Go To Hell Media, Go To Hell!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This is just another case of the media trying to create a situation where none exists, hoping to goad an answer they can make to sound like they've made a scoop. I think the vast majority of those with interest, have full knowledge of what the facts are and know better than to take this as something controversial.

This clip is from the Durham TV station. WTVD continues to lag behind WRAL in market share in the area. The promotion of this sort of manufactured crisis is typical of their strategies to try to attract viewers. The situation reflects the TV station's inability to cover news and attract viewers.

The media thrives on controversy and it should not be surprising that one of them would stoop so low as to infer something that would serve their own interests, regardless of the context or truth. People see what they want to see, and forget the rest - it's called confirmation bias.

If Roy had any class he'd call a press conference to back up what K had to say about it, and put it to rest. Then the controversy can be over the media person responsible, or over widespread misconceptions of the Duke program.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    The whole thing is beyond mind-boggling. Implicit in the criticism of K is the suggestion that he deliberately decided not to wear a ribbon, which suggests that he deliberately intended to make some sort of insidious point by not wearing the ribbon. That is simply outrageous.

While, in this information overflow era, it may be true that some knuckleheads on fansites and elsewhere raise these issues, and while it may be true that, as the link suggests, come called the news to inquire, the media has an obligation, in my mind, not to treat everything as a "story" that must be disseminated yet more broadly. Just because "dozens" of people called or emailed the news station, doesn't mean they should bite.

What a world we live in. If K ever leaves early, it will be because of crap like this.
    he did deliberately decide not to wear one and it should have been abundantly obviously that he was going get slammed for it. shortly after the game was over, the subject came up on the chat and everyone was like "what was he thinking because he is going to get killed for it?" i don't care that he didn't wear one but i don't want to see him get slammed for it. that wasn't one of k's brighter moves.