Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roy doesn't care about the ACC Tournament....

and wishes UNC didn't have to play in it.

"In my mind the ACC Tourney is one of those "necessary evils". I really don't care if we win it, but at the same time I don't want to lose to any other teams. I honestly wish we could somehow opt to not participate, I wouldn't care what other team fans would say."

Roy without the ACC Tournament the ACC wouldn't be what it is now. If you don't want to be there go ahead and lose your first game. So you can go home, and let the teams that want to be the official champ of the ACC try and win it. Get out of here with that weaksauce.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood112883 View Post
    and wishes UNC didn't have to play in it.

"In my mind the ACC Tourney is one of those "necessary evils". I really don't care if we win it, but at the same time I don't want to lose to any other teams. I honestly wish we could somehow opt to not participate, I wouldn't care what other team fans would say."

Roy without the ACC Tournament the ACC wouldn't be what it is now. If you don't want to be there go ahead and lose your first game. So you can go home, and let the teams that want to be the official champ of the ACC try and win it. Get out of here with that weaksauce.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgghghghghk!

WHAT A RICHARD!

Seriously, how could you disrespect the nation's most esteemed college tournament like that? Especially if you coach UNC or any team on Tobacco Road?

Dang it Roy! Just dang it to heck!

Frickin' unreal.

-EarlJam

Sounds like he's trying to lower expectations for what is sure to be an early exit from the ACC tourny.

"I didn't wanna win that dadgum thing anyway."

Soooo sick of the "aw shucks" song and dance.

He's just channeling Brendan Haywood.

Well, we know that he doesn't give a s#!t about Carolina so this should not be a surprise.

I think I was a 10th grader in 1983 when NCSU faced the necessity of winning the ACC tournament just to get invited to the NCAA tournament. They did, and in so doing, became a Cinderella team even before winning the first of their NCAA games. Just a few weeks later, of course, they became (arguably) the ultimate Cinderella team in winning it all.

It is sad, though, that if you finish 5-12 in the ACC regular season, you've got to win 4 games in 4 days to win it, and for most of those teams, they'd need to perform that virtually impossible feat just to get in the NCAA tournament. For most of the season, teams average about 2 games a week, or 3.5 days/game. A 1/1 ratio for 4 straight days is ridiculous, and another unfortunate result of league expansion.

Point is, I miss that about the ACC tournament. That the 8th place team, or some other also-ran can still "win the lottery" by winning the ACC tournament (3 in 3 days, still quite a task, but IMO, 4 in 4 is a LOT more than 33% harder).

I don't blame Roy for the attitude he takes, his team is likely to be a #1 seed in the NCAAs regardless, and when your season has been that good, and presumably it means you have that kind of likelihood of winning it all, I can see why you'd set your sights on the NCAAs and pretty much feel that you've already proven yourself as far as the ACC is concerned. But as is true for most of us speaking off the cuff, he could have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    But as is true for most of us speaking off the cuff, he could have said it better.
    He could have kept it to himself and not let it out in public. No matter if he was trying or not he came off acting like his team and himself was bigger than the ACC Tournament, and without the Tournament the ACC would never be as big as it is today. It's still the tournament that as kids our teachers stopped class *if we were unfortunate to be in school that qtr fri* and show the games instead of teach, or we would skip school just to sit at home and watch on tv, or go to the games themselves. Sorry I could see someone at FSU, Miami, VT, or even BC saying that...but a founding member institution shouldn't be airing that out in the media not to mention a Big 4 team. Funny thing is if they slip up they might lose that #1 seed in Charlotte to Tenn if they aren't careful. I'd try and not let the suspense happen and just go out and win the thing. Especially this year with what is potentially at stake.

He could have kept it to himself and not let it out in public. No matter if he was trying or not he came off acting like his team and himself was bigger than the ACC Tournament, and without the Tournament the ACC would never be as big as it is today. It's still the tournament that as kids our teachers stopped class *if we were unfortunate to be in school that qtr fri* and show the games instead of teach, or we would skip school just to sit at home and watch on tv, or go to the games themselves. Sorry I could see someone at FSU, Miami, VT, or even BC saying that...but a founding member institution shouldn't be airing that out in the media not to mention a Big 4 team. Funny thing is if they slip up they might lose that #1 seed in Charlotte to Tenn if they aren't careful. I'd try and not let the suspense happen and just go out and win the thing. Especially this year with what is potentially at stake.
    Exactly, Roy could have kept this to himself. When you're the coach of arguably the league's most recognizable team, a flagship team no less, it just doesn't look good to say you really don't care about the conference tournament, one of the biggest events the conference holds. Especially in a conference like the ACC with such an illustrious history.

All I have to say is, can you imagine what ACC fans and the media would be saying if it was Krzyzewski that said this instead of Roy?

Roy says this every year. I don't agree with him, but this is hardly new.

Roy has said this over and over and over

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Exactly, Roy could have kept this to himself. When you're the coach of arguably the league's most recognizable team, a flagship team no less, it just doesn't look good to say you really don't care about the conference tournament, one of the biggest events the conference holds. Especially in a conference like the ACC with such an illustrious history.

All I have to say is, can you imagine what ACC fans and the media would be saying if it was Krzyzewski that said this instead of Roy?
    This is not Roy's first dissing of the ACC tournament. Usually, he saves saying for teams that he is certain are not going to win the ACC. He certainly said it in 2005. Also, if you look back at past champions since 1999, UNC has taken itself out of the tournament (with the exception of last year).

Look at these stats

YEAR WIN Runner up Location MVP
    1999 Duke North Carolina Charlotte Coliseum Elton Brand, Duke
    2000 Duke Maryland Charlotte Coliseum Jason Williams, Duke
    2001 Duke North Carolina Georgia Dome Shane Battier, Duke
    2002 Duke NC State Charlotte Coliseum Carlos Boozer, Duke
    2003 Duke NC State Greensboro Coliseum Daniel Ewing, Duke
    2004 MD Duke Greensboro Coliseum John Gilchrist, Maryland
    2005 Duke Georgia Tech MCI Center J.J. Redick, Duke
    2006 Duke Boston College Greensboro Coliseum J.J. Redick, Duke
    2007 UNC NC State St. Pete Times Forum Brandan Wright, UNC

If there is anyone, anywhere who doesn't believe that Duke has been the major force in college basketball over the last decade, please send him or her this.
    DukeDevilDeb

Question What is Roy Doing?

This is an incredible comment from someone like Roy Williams. The 12 athletic departments in the ACC are rivals but, in truth, business partners. The ACC basketball tournament is the signature event in the entire year and a huge money-maker for the conference and the schools.

Roy's comments are impossibly naive for someone who has been around the ACC as long as he has. They are harmful to the conference and UNC but also are potentially discouraging to both his team and the UNC fans.

He has a different personality from Gary Williams, but like his namesake, both seem to say whatever comes to mind, no matter how inappropriate.

sagegrouse

Is there a link for this or was it something you heard? After the whole K "injury" farce I figure I'll withhold judgment until I know for a fact that he said this. Although given his past comments I certainly wouldn't be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Is there a link for this or was it something you heard? After the whole K "injury" farce I figure I'll withhold judgment until I know for a fact that he said this. Although given his past comments I certainly wouldn't be shocked.
    http://www.charlotte.com/hoops/story/531130.html

Charlotte Observer cleaned it up a tad. The link I did have for that is now dead or has been "replaced."

It was on IC but can't seem to find it now. After futher review a poster said that and had " by his post and now the " are gone....take it for what its worth I guess?

The quote that is on IC now reads as follows..."“Well, it’s the same thing I’ve said every year. It’s a great cocktail party, a big party for all of the fans and the whole bit, but growing up here in North Carolina, the ACC Tournament is the granddaddy of all of the tournaments. It means a great deal, and at the same time, we can’t put all of our loaves in this basket because we have accomplished enough during the regular season that we know we’re going to be playing after this week. But it’s something that I continue to have mixed emotions about, but it’s a wonderful, wonderful thing and we have to play, and so by golly, we’re going to try to do the best we possibly can to win it and it was fun winning it last year.” http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/736250.html

Coach Williams has said the same thing in the past. The linked Charlotte Observer article contains the following quote:

"It's the same thing I've said every year," Williams said Monday during the ACC coaches' teleconference.

In the past, I've read that Coach Smith also disliked the ACCT, but I do not have a link to support that claim, only my sometimes feeble memory.
    Bob Green

Thanks for updating that. My guess is that a lot of coaches feel that way but have the good sense to keep that sentiment to themselves. Of course keeping his opinion to himself has never really been Roy's strong suit...

I would be willing to wager that the majority of top financial contributors to UNC/CH athletics (alums and boosters) care more about the ACC Tournament than about the NCAAs (except, possibly, if a team makes it to the Final Four). If I'm correct, then Coach Williams' annual statement is hypercritical; he is compelled to care because the Athletic Department's economic base passionately cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Thanks for updating that.
    Hey no problem. I wanted to make sure I got it right instead of heresay. I hated those "back injury" rumors with K and all the like as well.

A Roy Quote or Not?

To be fair to Roy (as if I really cared about being fair to him )
    On Inside Carolina, that exact original quote is written by a poster, but does not seem to be attributed to Roy anywhere. So who really said it? Are you saying it was originally in quotes and in the charlotte.com article?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=...&sto=pagestart

wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Nice to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    To be fair to Roy (as if I really cared about being fair to him )
    On Inside Carolina, that exact original quote is written by a poster, but does not seem to be attributed to Roy anywhere. So who really said it? Are you saying it was originally in quotes and in the charlotte.com article?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=...&sto=pagestart

wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Nice to be back.
    It had quotes originally but now the quote has been took away.

ACC Tournament

Although readers are not going to like this comment, I agree with him. I do believe, however, he was not smart in making this comment publicly.

I think three games, back to back, if it comes to that, will thoroughly drain Duke's gas tank, if it's not already empty. If it is on empty, as it was last year at this time, we won't see the light of day past Friday.

GMR