Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From a physical fitness perspective, I do not believe the ACCT will have any adverse effect on our (our Carolina's) players. These young men are elite athletes and they can run and jump and play all day. I would be willing to bet many college basketball players go to the gym and workout after games.

From a mental perspective, the ACCT might have some drain on the players. I don't think so, however, I am willing to admit the possibility.
    Bob Green

Hey, Roy! If you don't care about the ACC tournament, can I have your tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey, Roy! If you don't care about the ACC tournament, can I have your tickets?
    LOL!!!!!

Roy isn't the only coach that feels that way, and this year it may be a little more justifiable since his team isn't as deep and injuries have been an issue. You don't want Lawson to retweek that ankle during the ACC tournament. Dean Smith also did not like the tournament, stating it was much harder to win the regular season and a much bigger accomplishment, whereas any team can get lucky for 3 days (now 4 for some).

However, it should be noted that each time we won the NC, we played in the ACC tournament finals, winning twice. I think conference tournaments can tire out a team, or they can galvanize them for the NCAA tourney run.

Evidently he doesn't care about the Final Four either.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Evidently he doesn't care about the Final Four either.
    True....he's a 2nd rd or Elite Eight type of man.

Thanks for the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood112883 View Post
    True....he's a 2nd rd or Elite Eight type of man.
    Really? Then what is Coach K? A first round kind of guy. The ACC tournament only matters for teams that need wins to get in. It counted back in the day when only the winner went to the tournament and now it is simply redundant for the best programs. It cheapens the regular season. Only the NCAA's count. 2005 is a prime example. Do you think that team ever thinks about not winning the conference tournament? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by oli-p View Post
    Really? Then what is Coach K? A first round kind of guy.
    Well I seem to remember on the biggest of stages K sent Roy home with a big fat L on a certain Monday night back in April of 91. Also got 2 more titles than Mr Aww Shucks, and many more FF's, and league titles. Also doesn't cut nets down for a reg season title, and then act like the tournament title *which is the one recognized by the ACC as the official crown* is hardly worth his time. "But dagumit!!!!! We sure are gonna try!!!!"

Btw K has only lost in the first rd twice in his career. Nice try.

Well I seem to remember on the biggest of stages K sent Roy home with a big fat L on a certain Monday night back in April of 91. Also got 2 more titles than Mr Aww Shucks, and many more FF's, and league titles. Also doesn't cut nets down for a reg season title, and then act like the tournament title *which is the one recognized by the ACC as the official crown* is hardly worth his time. "But dagumit!!!!! We sure are gonna try!!!!"

Btw K has only lost in the first rd twice in his career. Nice try.
    Only twice? Is that all? I am not sure how many times Roy has lost in the first round. I would bet it isn't 2. How are you going to feel about all of this when Coach K retires with winning records only against Grutheridge and Matt D at Carolina? In addition on the 2 more titles comment. Give Roy time, they are coming. And they are both coming sooner than Coach K's next one.

Only twice? Is that all? I am not sure how many times Roy has lost in the first round. I would bet it isn't 2. How are you going to feel about all of this when Coach K retires with winning records only against Grutheridge and Matt D at Carolina? In addition on the 2 more titles comment. Give Roy time, they are coming. And they are both coming sooner than Coach K's next one.
    I'm not going to feel nothing, because #1 K isn't done, and #2 you got any proof Roy is going to take home the bacon again before K? I mean the NCAA Tournament hasn't even started and now you got him penciled in to get a title? Might want to remind Roy there is timeouts that you can actually use in basketball if you want to make a FF much less win it. When Roy gets 3 titles I will listen to you until then it's not worth the hassle. Roy has a NC but so does Joe B Hall, and Rollie Massimino.

I like my trolls angry and unable to spell the names of former coaches (Guthridge and Doherty).

1. I highly doubt Roy will pass K in the head to head record if we include the Kansas years where K gave Roy a whooping.

2. As much as you guys like to beat up on Guthridge and Doherty, the fact is our teams were loaded in that era. You guys can hide behind them all you want, but the fact is those Duke teams owned the ACC.

3. I guess we'll just have to take your word for it when it comes to Roy winning titles. I think his track record in the tournament is not overtly impressive, but who knows, miracles happen every day.

4. Indeed you are correct sir, Roy doesn't have any 1st round exits. However, he does make up for it with 7 2nd round losses.

I'm not going to feel nothing, because #1 K isn't done, and #2 you got any proof Roy is going to take home the bacon again before K? I mean the NCAA Tournament hasn't even started and now you got him penciled in to get a title? Might want to remind Roy there is timeouts that you can actually use in basketball if you want to make a FF much less win it. When Roy gets 3 titles I will listen to you until then it's not worth the hassle. Roy has a NC but so does Joe B Hall, and Rollie Massimino.
    Actually, I don't have him penciled in for this year. I have no idea if Carolina is going to win it this year or not. UNC has a good shot. What I do know is that Duke isn't going to win it this year. How do I know that? When I found out that Lawson wasn't playing in the first game, I bet on Duke to win. We need Lawson to be a top team. However, once I knew that Lawson was going to play in Cameron, I bet even more heavily on Carolina and the under. If Duke doesn't light it up from three, they can't win and with no good big man coming and no true point guard, the recent trend will continue. And yes, I am confident that Roy will win more national championships before he retires.

Actually, I don't have him penciled in for this year. I have no idea if Carolina is going to win it this year or not. UNC has a good shot. What I do know is that Duke isn't going to win it this year. How do I know that? When I found out that Lawson wasn't playing in the first game, I bet on Duke to win. We need Lawson to be a top team. However, once I knew that Lawson was going to play in Cameron, I bet even more heavily on Carolina and the under. If Duke doesn't light it up from three, they can't win and with no good big man coming and no true point guard, the recent trend will continue. And yes, I am confident that Roy will win more national championships before he retires.
    I bet you were sweating it out when the Devils took a 2 point lead late in the game and had several wide open looks at shots.

I wouldn't bet on UNC winning much of anything this year.

I would like to know what motivates a Carolina fan to come to a Duke forum in the first place.

I mean, everyone is welcome, I assume, but why come to a place where you have so little in common with people?

Second, why come to a Duke forum and try to argue (fruitlessly, I might add) about UNC being better than Duke, defending your coach and fighting a losing battle with people who simply will not agree with you unless you can present facts. And Roy hasn't earned enough street cred, titles, wins or Final Four appearances to even be mentioned in the same breath as the Dean Smiths, Coach K's, Bobby Knights, etc of the game.

Congrats on joining most of the rational people in the world and thinking Duke might not win the NC this year. We weren't expected to, but we weren't expected to make UNC "sweat" out the ACC Reg Season either. We got a split, and wow you have Duke all figured out. It's 3's or bust? Then how in the heck did we beat Georgia Tech clanking all night from the outside? Oh wait it was the refs fault wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I like my trolls angry and unable to spell the names of former coaches (Guthridge and Doherty).

1. I highly doubt Roy will pass K in the head to head record if we include the Kansas years where K gave Roy a whooping.

2. As much as you guys like to beat up on Guthridge and Doherty, the fact is our teams were loaded in that era. You guys can hide behind them all you want, but the fact is those Duke teams owned the ACC.

3. I guess we'll just have to take your word for it when it comes to Roy winning titles. I think his track record in the tournament is not overtly impressive, but who knows, miracles happen every day.

4. Indeed you are correct sir, Roy doesn't have any 1st round exits. However, he does make up for it with 7 2nd round losses.

Case closed.

Well I guess Roy doesn't care about the ACC at all then, because, last I checked, the ACC Tournament Champion is THE ACC Champion.

If my calculations are correct, then that would mean Carolina has won exactly ONE ACC Championship in a decade. No wonder the program so infamously speaks out against the Grand Daddy. They s*ck in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Well I guess Roy doesn't care about the ACC at all then, because, last I checked, the ACC Tournament Champion is THE ACC Champion.

If my calculations are correct, then that would mean Carolina has won exactly ONE ACC Championship in a decade. No wonder the program so infamously speaks out against the Grand Daddy. They s*ck in it.
    Exactly and part of the reason the tourney lost importance *esp to UNC fans, and their coaches* is because of UNC. Dean Smith made up the "regular season champion" garbage to help make himself look better when he choked in the tournament. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point of being legitimately recognized, accepted, and passed off as truth.

My sentiments exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgghghghghk!

WHAT A RICHARD!

Seriously, how could you disrespect the nation's most esteemed college tournament like that? Especially if you coach UNC or any team on Tobacco Road?

Dang it Roy! Just dang it to heck!

Frickin' unreal.

-EarlJam
    Well put, EarlJam. I love the way you channeled Ole Roy on the response. Sounds to me like he isn't overly concerned about getting his team motivated to win. Should be easy to take 'em out if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I would be willing to wager that the majority of top financial contributors to UNC/CH athletics (alums and boosters) care more about the ACC Tournament than about the NCAAs (except, possibly, if a team makes it to the Final Four). If I'm correct, then Coach Williams' annual statement is hypercritical; he is compelled to care because the Athletic Department's economic base passionately cares.
    who are these mysterious people who care more about the acct than the ncaat??? i never have heard of someone who pays even an iota of attention to college basketball who cares more about a meaningless conference tournament than the national championship tournament.

everyone is slamming roy on here but he has a very valid point. the only reason why there is an acct is to make more money. the pac-10 resisted having a tournament for a long time but eventually gave in to the money aspect. it never will happen but i would prefer getting rid of it and using the regular season to determine the acc champion (like the ivy league does). winning 6 games in a row is hard enough. winning 9 games in a row is even harder. i would prefer duke to lose on friday and be well rested, mentally and physically, for a long run in the ncaat, than for duke to play 3 extremely taxing games in 3 days and then fall flat on their faces in the ncaat. sound familiar?

i have asked this before on here and i'll ask it again. does anyone actually think that unc's 2005 season somehow was tarnished or lessened because they failed to win the acct? does anyone even care? what about duke getting killed in the acct final in 1991?