Are Americans' Feet Getting Bigger?

Does it seem to you like peoples' feet are getting bigger? I constantly see kids today who are significantly smaller than me, yet with feet 2 shoe sizes or more bigger than mine... I used to attribute it to the kids all wearing those enormous space-age basketball shoes, which make their feet look like canoes, but even when I put on a pair of late-model basketball shoes, I'm still wearing a size far smaller than many grade school/high school kids-- is it possible that kids are somehow growing larger feet because of more/better nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Does it seem to you like peoples' feet are getting bigger? I constantly see kids today who are significantly smaller than me, yet with feet 2 shoe sizes or more bigger than mine... I used to attribute it to the kids all wearing those enormous space-age basketball shoes, which make their feet look like canoes, but even when I put on a pair of late-model basketball shoes, I'm still wearing a size far smaller than many grade school/high school kids-- is it possible that kids are somehow growing larger feet because of more/better nutrition?
    or maybe they're just getting fatter. more weight = more pressure on feet = larger feet

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    or maybe they're just getting fatter. more weight = more pressure on feet = larger feet
    When I was in college, I wore a size 7.5 shoe. After my first child was born, I couldn't wear my 7.5s anymore and I had to go to a size 8 shoe, not necessarily a bad thing, just an annoyance because I had a nice collection of shoes at the time, and as the mother of a newborn, I really didn't have the time to shop for pretty shoes. After my second child was born, my feet grew to size 8.5. I think it's the weight of the pregnancy and the pressure that caused my feet to grow.

I'm not sure what caused my son's feet to be so huge. He's 16 years old, six feet tall, 150 pounds and he wears a size 15 shoe. (His dad wears size 11.5.) Most stores don't stock too many shoes in sizes greater than 13, so shoe shopping for him is an ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    When I was in college, I wore a size 7.5 shoe. After my first child was born, I couldn't wear my 7.5s anymore and I had to go to a size 8 shoe, not necessarily a bad thing, just an annoyance because I had a nice collection of shoes at the time, and as the mother of a newborn, I really didn't have the time to shop for pretty shoes. After my second child was born, my feet grew to size 8.5. I think it's the weight of the pregnancy and the pressure that caused my feet to grow.

I'm not sure what caused my son's feet to be so huge. He's 16 years old, six feet tall, 150 pounds and he wears a size 15 shoe. (His dad wears size 11.5.) Most stores don't stock too many shoes in sizes greater than 13, so shoe shopping for him is an ordeal.
    WOW! That is huge. I am 5'11" and wear a size 13; and I thought *I* was lopsided. At least he should still grow a bit taller? At least with me there is some genetic basis. My mom is 5'3" and wears a size 10.

I read somewhere that a lot of women gain shoe size after pregnancy. Apparently some of the hormones that help relax ligaments, etc. for childbirth can also do so in the feet - leading to permanent size gains.

Kids these days are just BIG overall. I think it does have to do with nutrition. Used to be that a 13 (the largest standard size) was hard to find. And that was only 15-20 years ago. Now you see a lot of 14s and 15s (and higher) in stores. My daughter, who just turned 6, is in a size 3 womens already. She is doomed. I wear a 13, my wife wears a 10, her sister and mom both wear 11s.

I don't know about other Americans, but mine sure have. I was a 12 when I graduated from high school, a 13 during college, and now up to 14. I hope they stop growing soon.

My first thought on reading this thread title was - "Nope - a foot still equals 12 inches in America" . . . I'm just saying . . .