Mar. 10 Polls

ESPN/USAToday poll has Wisco above us.

Wisco.

I just threw up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    ESPN/USAToday poll has Wisco above us.

Wisco.

I just threw up a little.
    Well, it's deserved. Duke is stumbling into the NCAAs again. Mask it. Put "proper perspective" or all the silver lining on it you can, but the truth is this team peaked in early February and has been gasping ever since.

Based on recent history, I don't look for it to change. We'll be lucky to make the Sweet Sixteen.

-Doom and Gloomjam

P.S. Somebody, anybody, this is an invitation to tell me why I'm wrong. I really hope I am.

P.S.S. All that said, we DID over-achieve this year and should be awesome next year.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    P.S. Somebody, anybody, this is an invitation to tell me why I'm wrong. I really hope I am.

P.S.S. All that said, we DID over-achieve this year and should be awesome next year.

Yeah, we overachieved this year, for sure. I'm irked mainly that a team with the same record as us, in an inferior league, who we played and beat by 24 is ranked above us in a poll. Doesn't mean much...

Are you WRONG? No, you're not wrong. The team is sort of stumbling now, but they're pretty young, and injuries have kind of worn us down. The little break the kids get now is reeaaalllly needed.

Sweet 16? I think we'll get one more game than that, and make it to Elite 8.

So, it's not that you're wrong, but you aren't all-right. I think that the poor shooting isn't necessarily a slide after a February peak, but rather an indication of being super tired and worn out.

You are wrong Earl Jam. We went 26-4/13-3 in the regular season. Down the stretch, we went 7-3 which included two losses on the road and a loss to the #1 team in the country at home. I would hardly describe that as "stumbling into the NCAAs again."

Losing on the road in conference play happens. As far as the loss to Carolina, as much as it hurts, the fact is Carolina has a really good team. They played great with Green and Ellington knocking down shots and we still had a chance to win at the end.

The regular season finale against Carolina proved that we are a legitimate Final Four contender. Now we have to go play & win the games.
    Bob Green

Whatever the rankings, I suspect we'll be seeded higher than Wisconsin in the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Whatever the rankings, I suspect we'll be seeded higher than Wisconsin in the NCAAs.
    we sure as @$#$## better be! We are ahead in the RPI by several spots and their SOS is in the 60s and ours is top 10.

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

According to the Pomeroy stats though, its neck and neck: we are #5 they are #4, and our SOS is #19 and theirs is #21. Of course we whooped 'em head to head so that should be a good tie breaker...

(also, I know the committee looks at RPI, but I don't know whether they look at pomeroy's stats or others' stats. 2-4 years ago I would have said no way they look at that stuff, but they might now...the RPI is so established though that I bet that if they consider several of these formulaic-stat-ranking-things (the technical term) that they give that the RPI the most weight...pure speculation, of course)

Seeding

This may a little off-topic . . . but as I read the above comments and review the polls, I think we need to get to the ACC finals in order to lock up a #2 seed in the NCAA . . .

Lose earlier than that and we sweat it out hoping not to drop to a #3.

I say this because Texas and Georgetown are right on our heels in poll votes . . if they get deep in their respective tournaments and we don't, then its a #3 seed. If we go deep, then it doesn't matter, we're a #2 seed.

Thats how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    This may a little off-topic . . . but as I read the above comments and review the polls, I think we need to get to the ACC finals in order to lock up a #2 seed in the NCAA . . .

Lose earlier than that and we sweat it out hoping not to drop to a #3.

I say this because Texas and Georgetown are right on our heels in poll votes . . if they get deep in their respective tournaments and we don't, then its a #3 seed. If we go deep, then it doesn't matter, we're a #2 seed.

Thats how I see it.
    You have a valid observation and as a #3 seed we would not play our opening round games in Raleigh. So we need to focus on the ACCT, advance to the finals, and whoop Carolina's butt!
    Bob Green

Duke's realtimerpi is 4, Wisconsin's is 13. Not to worry.
    http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html
    If Duke wins the conference it may well be a #1. Lots of ifs, ands and butts thru the weekend to decide seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You are wrong Earl Jam. We went 26-4/13-3 in the regular season. Down the stretch, we went 7-3 which included two losses on the road and a loss to the #1 team in the country at home. I would hardly describe that as "stumbling into the NCAAs again."

Losing on the road in conference play happens. As far as the loss to Carolina, as much as it hurts, the fact is Carolina has a really good team. They played great with Green and Ellington knocking down shots and we still had a chance to win at the end.

The regular season finale against Carolina proved that we are a legitimate Final Four contender. Now we have to go play & win the games.
    I like it. We are definitely contenders for the FF.

But Duke is known for getting trigger happy from 3 in the tournament and shooting ourselves out of it. I hope we continue to establish a balanced attack predicated on driving to the hoop. That has been our strong suit all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You are wrong Earl Jam.
    I have never been so happy to be told I'm wrong.

And I have never wished so hard NOT to be vindicated.

Good points, thanks and I really, really, really, really, really, really, hope you are indeed correct in your assertion that we are a legitimate FF contender.

-EarlJam

It doesn't matter whether we are #7 or #8. We are probably a 2-seed, which is appropriate and a good place to launch our campaign. We won't be in UNC's bracket no matter what, so regardless of our ranking we will match up against one of the other #1 seeds. We gotta beat all comers anyways.

This has been a fun team to watch and will continue to be for however long the ride lasts. On the one hand, I see the criticism of our team -- relies on the 3, no inside game, etc. -- and that may ultimately catch us. However, EVERY team has a weakness. We certainly have the coach to draw up the winning game plan, and I have faith that our players will show up with full intensity for our games. Attack attack attack.

I'm not saying we're gonna win it all -- but I don't see a team that scares me either. There is not a team out there that we cannot beat on any given night. And K has a long history of pulling out those games.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!