Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb

The mute button is a wonderful thing. Sit with friends and call the game yourself. I guarantee a fun time for all. That's what we did last night.

Gus Johnson should be the voice of college basketball. That is all

Exclamation News of the weird

Both Billy Packer and Dick Vitale were elected today to enter the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame.

Oh yeah, check out who else got in there too!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Rumor at Si.com about Packer hanging up the old microphone!!!

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/45751

I've felt for some time now that Packer detracts from the game. It's not so much what he says, and whether he's right or wrong, but how he says it. I'm really not that sensitive of a person, but it's just occurred to me on more than one occasion that he was probably taking away from my enjoyment of the the game with his tone and attitude, both of which never change. I contrast this with the MNF crews of the past, who could almost bring enjoyment to a game you care nothing about just because they actually seemed to love being there themselves.

I generally like curmudgeons, but not announcing my basketball games. Throw Elmore and a score of others into this same bag. Sadly, I know there are a few announcers out there I really like, but I don't even know their names, just faces, since there's so little attention given.

Don't mistake what I've said to mean that I like Vitale. He's way too over-the-top, and quite annoyingly so.

Wow, so I was reading some forums regarding the rumor of Packer's retirement... and I all I can say is: When did everyone start hating Bilas? A couple years ago everyone thought he was the best analyst ever to set foot at courtside. Now, he's a pompous know-it-all. Surely it didn't take joe schmoe this long to realize Jay was a Dukie? Has he made too many picks against favorites? Become too familiar? The only time Jay really annoys me is when I feel like he's unnaturally trying to emulate Vitale for a moment or two.

I guess it doesn't matter how many times you say something someone likes, they'll remember the two times they hated what you had to say.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I've felt for some time now that Packer detracts from the game. It's not so much what he says, and whether he's right or wrong, but how he says it. I'm really not that sensitive of a person, but it's just occurred to me on more than one occasion that he was probably taking away from my enjoyment of the the game with his tone and attitude, both of which never change. I contrast this with the MNF crews of the past, who could almost bring enjoyment to a game you care nothing about just because they actually seemed to love being there themselves.

I generally like curmudgeons, but not announcing my basketball games. Throw Elmore and a score of others into this same bag. Sadly, I know there are a few announcers out there I really like, but I don't even know their names, just faces, since there's so little attention given.

Don't mistake what I've said to mean that I like Vitale. He's way too over-the-top, and quite annoyingly so.
    Your point about MNF is well-taken. The only football I watch is whatever game Madden is doing. He just seems to LOVE being there without being irritating about it.
    Well said!

Hi,

I loved how expertly Packer timed both game runs (exactly the wrong way!) on Saturday. Around 7 mins. left in the 1st half, Packer states, "it's over". UNC goes on an amazing run to narrow it down to about 4. Around that point, when asked if UNC will run out of steam, Packer says something like, "No, I think UNC has plently on energy left". Almost immediately, Kansas goes on an amazing run.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Packer's not the only one who needs to go

Thank God for the mute button. I can't listen to Packer. Vitale rambles & name-drops & is so redundant it drives me crazy. I want to send him a thesaurus so he doesn't describe every player as being "special" & every coach as having "passion."
    Bill Raftery may know what he's talking about but when he goes into that gutteral growling thing he does at the end of a sentence, I can't understand a word he's saying.
    Hmmm, seems it's the old farts who annoy me the most. Too bad there's no mandatory retirement age for bloviating gas-bags.