As someone who has had the privilege to perform the national anthem many times at cameron (as part of an a cappella group), I'm torn about the "O." When I was first a crazy, it neither seemed wrong nor right, it was just the thing everybody did. Then when it came time to arrange my group's version of the National Anthem my friend and I really had to think about how to treat that word. In the end, we chose to begin "O" on a dissonant chord, holding it until the students stopped their cheer, and resolving the chord on the same syllable. I know it sounds crazy but in my warped mind it sounds far more beautiful that way than if we had just performed it straight.

That was a long time ago, although I know that to this day the group performs our arrangement, morphing O and all. I would imagine the current members of the group don't know it any other way. The point, I guess, is that I started out accepting it without question, subsequently questioned it only when forced to think about it, and have come full circle into thinking it's part of what it's like to experience a game in Cameron. Does it insult the country or the people who sacrifice on its behalf? I'm not really the one to ask. Honestly, I agree with a previous poster: if it's ok with K, it's ok with me.