Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Blu-ray questions

My DVD player died Friday night. Rather than repairing it, I'm thinking of buying a Blu-ray. Since I am techno-ignorant, I would appreciate some advice.

My son says that I should buy a Playstation 3 - it comes with a Blu-ray and has better sound than most stand alone Blu-rays.

Is my son correct or is he just angling for a new game thing?

Is there anything I should be looking for in a Blue-ray player?
    ~rthomas

I'm a vote from the losing side(HD DVD), but the sound issue is a bit of a canard as the audio on the Blu-ray disc is the same no matter what the player. The sound is more likely to be limited by the device you are playing the audio through, receiver or TV. He is likely angling for a new game thing...however, for what it is worth, given the pricing for Blu-ray players, you are essentially paying nothing more for the game playing capability of a PS3 if you go that route.

You can spare yourself the expense as well as avoiding the gaming thing by getting an upconverting DVD player. While not as good as Blu-ray, it would serve as a stop-gap until the true nature of downloadable HD movies reveals itself in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm a vote from the losing side(HD DVD), but the sound issue is a bit of a canard as the audio on the Blu-ray disc is the same no matter what the player. The sound is more likely to be limited by the device you are playing the audio through, receiver or TV. He is likely angling for a new game thing...however, for what it is worth, given the pricing for Blu-ray players, you are essentially paying nothing more for the game playing capability of a PS3 if you go that route.

You can spare yourself the expense as well as avoiding the gaming thing by getting an upconverting DVD player. While not as good as Blu-ray, it would serve as a stop-gap until the true nature of downloadable HD movies reveals itself in a year or two.
    Well, there is another advantage to the PS3 if you want a Blu-ray device -- it is network upgradeable, and it is made by the creators of Blur-ray, so you know that it will be well supported with software updates for many years to come. Some early Blu-ray adopters have found themselves saddled with devices that are difficult to upgrade or don't support the more recent versions of the Blu-ray spec.

I agree that downloadable will probably be the way of the future, but I may pick up a PS3 at some point if prices come down. I would be doing so primarily for game play.

I got this in my email this week from Kim Komando (I get her daily tips. If I could link to it I would but this is just a free email, so I think copying it is OK?)

Blu-ray player profiles
    Question
    I know that Blu-ray has won the high-definition DVD format war. So, I felt that I could finally buy a player with confidence. But then I heard about player profiles. Does that mean there are different kinds of Blu-ray players? What do I need to look for when shopping for a player? Thank you, Kim! I love your show and tell all my friends about it.

Answer
    Thank you, right back. I love what I do. And I’m glad you love it, too.

I want to make sure you buy the right Blu-ray player. If you don’t know some important facts, you could end up with old gear.

You heard right; the format war is over. HD DVD is dead. Blu-ray Disc is the way to go for high-definition DVDs. But yes, there are different kinds of Blu-ray players.

I know it feels like I just threw you another curve ball. But it may not be as big a deal as you think. The profiles concept isn’t complicated. But it’s important to understand if you’re shopping for a player.

The Blu-ray format is adding new functionality to DVD players. New features will bring interactivity to your movies. But they are rolling out slowly. New Blu-ray profiles add different features. As new profiles emerge, older ones will be phased out.

Here’s what you need to know.

The first Blu-ray players were profile 1.0. This profile was often called the Grace Period Profile. These players simply played Blu-ray movies. They provided HD quality video. But they didn’t include any extra features.

All players manufactured after Nov. 1, 2007, must be profile 1.1. This profile adds picture-in-picture capabilities. Blu-ray movies can show bonus content in a picture-in-picture window. And they can show it while the movie is playing.

Profile 2.0 is coming soon, probably in the fall. It will add Internet connectivity to Blu-ray players. You’ll be able to access movie-related games, blogs and other content. And you’ll be able to interact with this content on your HDTV.

Salespeople may not know a lot about the different profiles. Just know that if the player supports picture-in-picture, it’s profile 1.1. And, in the future, if it has Internet connectivity, it’s profile 2.0.

So, should you go out and buy a profile 1.1 player? Should you wait for profile 2.0 players? There are probably profile 1.0 players still on the shelves. What about those?

I recommend picking up at least a profile 1.1 player. Profile 1.0 players should still play all Blu-ray discs. But format standards and requirements can change. It could become obsolete in the future. Then you’d have to buy a new player.

If Internet connectivity sounds enticing, you might wait for profile 2.0. It’s not available just yet. But several Blu-ray releases already include Web content. It’s a feature that you can expect in future Blu-ray discs.

Another option is to buy a PlayStation 3. The PS3 plays Blu-ray movies. It can already connect to the Internet. And it’s capable of receiving firmware updates online. A PS3 can be upgraded to profile 2.0 when the time comes. Plus, PS3s are priced on par with stand-alone Blu-ray players.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Another option is to buy a PlayStation 3. The PS3 plays Blu-ray movies. It can already connect to the Internet. And it’s capable of receiving firmware updates online. A PS3 can be upgraded to profile 2.0 when the time comes. Plus, PS3s are priced on par with stand-alone Blu-ray players.
    This is what I was talking about wrt the PS3 being upgradeable, I was just too lazy to do the research on version numbers. Thanks for posting that Oz (though it may be flirting a bit with copyright rules).

HD DVD already had the network upgradability as well as no Region coding like Blu-ray. How many weeks ago was I supposed to let this go? Apparently, I haven't...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I got this in my email this week from Kim Komando (I get her daily tips. If I could link to it I would but this is just a free email, so I think copying it is OK?)

Blu-ray player profiles
    Question
    I know that Blu-ray has won the high-definition DVD format war. So, I felt that I could finally buy a player with confidence. But then I heard about player profiles. Does that mean there are different kinds of Blu-ray players? What do I need to look for when shopping for a player? Thank you, Kim! I love your show and tell all my friends about it.

Answer
    Thank you, right back. I love what I do. And I’m glad you love it, too.

I want to make sure you buy the right Blu-ray player. If you don’t know some important facts, you could end up with old gear.

You heard right; the format war is over. HD DVD is dead. Blu-ray Disc is the way to go for high-definition DVDs. But yes, there are different kinds of Blu-ray players.

I know it feels like I just threw you another curve ball. But it may not be as big a deal as you think. The profiles concept isn’t complicated. But it’s important to understand if you’re shopping for a player.

The Blu-ray format is adding new functionality to DVD players. New features will bring interactivity to your movies. But they are rolling out slowly. New Blu-ray profiles add different features. As new profiles emerge, older ones will be phased out.

Here’s what you need to know.

The first Blu-ray players were profile 1.0. This profile was often called the Grace Period Profile. These players simply played Blu-ray movies. They provided HD quality video. But they didn’t include any extra features.

All players manufactured after Nov. 1, 2007, must be profile 1.1. This profile adds picture-in-picture capabilities. Blu-ray movies can show bonus content in a picture-in-picture window. And they can show it while the movie is playing.

Profile 2.0 is coming soon, probably in the fall. It will add Internet connectivity to Blu-ray players. You’ll be able to access movie-related games, blogs and other content. And you’ll be able to interact with this content on your HDTV.

Salespeople may not know a lot about the different profiles. Just know that if the player supports picture-in-picture, it’s profile 1.1. And, in the future, if it has Internet connectivity, it’s profile 2.0.

So, should you go out and buy a profile 1.1 player? Should you wait for profile 2.0 players? There are probably profile 1.0 players still on the shelves. What about those?

I recommend picking up at least a profile 1.1 player. Profile 1.0 players should still play all Blu-ray discs. But format standards and requirements can change. It could become obsolete in the future. Then you’d have to buy a new player.

If Internet connectivity sounds enticing, you might wait for profile 2.0. It’s not available just yet. But several Blu-ray releases already include Web content. It’s a feature that you can expect in future Blu-ray discs.

Thanks to all of you who posted on this. I read about the Profiles but this is much clearer. OK I think between what you posted and my son lokking in my office and whispering "Playstation" all day, may be sold on one.

My kid told me that Blockbuster has a 40 and 80GB bundle. Any recs on why so much memory is needed. The 40 GB bundle come with a controller (for him) and the 80GB has a remote control (for me). Plus a movie and a game or something.
    ~rthomas

For my old Xbox, the drive size seemed irrelevant as I wasn't online playing games and so wasn't saving very much. A hard core gamer may have a better explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For my old Xbox, the drive size seemed irrelevant as I wasn't online playing games and so wasn't saving very much. A hard core gamer may have a better explanation.
    If and when you can download HD movies online you might want the larger HD. Hmmm, first HD = Hi Def, second HD = Hard Drive, although you would probably download to a separate drive anyway.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Thanks to all of you who posted on this. I read about the Profiles but this is much clearer. OK I think between what you posted and my son lokking in my office and whispering "Playstation" all day, may be sold on one.

My kid told me that Blockbuster has a 40 and 80GB bundle. Any recs on why so much memory is needed. The 40 GB bundle come with a controller (for him) and the 80GB has a remote control (for me). Plus a movie and a game or something.
    The Ps3 is designed so that you can upgrade the hard drive yourself should the need arise, so there is no need to buy the extra storage from Sony. Unless you are downloading movies to it, 40GB will do just fine. You can buy the remote control separately for around $25.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the upscaling of regular DVDs by my Ps3. I don't see any need to replace any of my current collection with bluray versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the upscaling of regular DVDs by my Ps3. I don't see any need to replace any of my current collection with bluray versions.
    That's the other option for the OP. Instead of going to Blu-ray now, get yourself a cheap upscaling DVD player for under $100. It'll make your current DVD library look a bit better and you can bide your time for a cheaper 2.0 standard Blu-ray player later on.

Also note that Blu-ray movies themselves are selling for around $30. So not only is the player more expensive, the discs are about 30% more too.

BTW, Sony announced plans for two new players coming out later this year. I still feel we're in the early adopter stage, so it's buyer beware.

I own both HD DVD and Blu-ray. The biggest difference I notice between these HD media formats and SD DVD is the increased color depth, with increased resolution and detail being second. Screen size is also an important factor (i.e., 1080p is only perceptible when the screen is >= X inches - I think it's ~50 inches).

I've found SD DVD upconversion less than ideal; however, Toshiba promises to introduce "super upconversion" in their standard DVD players later this year. Apparently, this technology is currently used in astronomy and by intelligence services and will leverage the computational power of the Cell processor, which can be found in the Sony PS3, today.

Honestly, as the cost of storage continues to fall and the introduction of widespread HD Video on Demand increases, I fully expect these HD media formats to die an untimely death.

If it helps, I chose to go the PS3 route. I bought it on Amazon and including the remote it was $420 shipped (only one controller, no games). I got the 40GB model because the downloads aren't all the enticing at the moment and it will be cheaper to upgrade the storage capacity in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My DVD player died Friday night. Rather than repairing it, I'm thinking of buying a Blu-ray. Since I am techno-ignorant, I would appreciate some advice.

My son says that I should buy a Playstation 3 - it comes with a Blu-ray and has better sound than most stand alone Blu-rays.

Is my son correct or is he just angling for a new game thing?

Is there anything I should be looking for in a Blue-ray player?
    Your son's right. Right now the PS3 is the best price/performance Blue Ray player on the market. The only thing I hate about it is the remote. It uses bluetooth so a universal remote will not work.

My parents purchased a PS3 as a family gift this past Christmas. We love it, the games/movies have awesome pictures! When watching the pixar type Blu-Ray movies it is as if there is no screen it seems so life like. As far as the 40GB and the 80GB we chose the bigger one simply b/c it plays both the PS2 and PS3 games. I do not believe that has been mentioned here yet. Obviously the PS2 games are behind on quality, but they are a little cheaper and I can borrow games from friends. If you want a Blu-Ray player go for a PS3. You may end up addicted to the games even if you are not currently. Having two machine types in one does make for a less cluttered entertainment area also.

40gb

We have had a 40GB PS3 since they came out (Christmas 2006) and my kids have had no complaints - they play online games with their friends and haven't yet run into the disk limitations. It plays PS2 and PS3 games, so I'm not sure why crazie4duke bought the bigger one.

For me, it handles Blu-Ray disks perfectly. I'd rather use the Wii if I'm gaming, though I do play Guitar Hero on PS3.

A 40GB PS3 will do everything you need.

Get a PS3. Sony has done a nice job designing it and your kid will be happy for getting a nice gaming system. It really is a nice player for blu-ray discs. Unless you want to use a video game controller to run your discs, I'd invest a few bucks in the remote though.

Also, I would buy the upgraded (larger HD) system. The upgraded system has wireless capabilities which makes it convenient for the upgrades. Otherwise you have to run a long LAN cable (or unhook your system and take it to your modem) each time you do a firmware update.

As noted above, the PS3 also does a nice job upconverting DVDs. I have a 65" TV and the picture looks really nice.

Check out www.slickdeals.net for current deals on the PS3. There is usally some deal where you order it and get a rebate for 5 free blu-ray discs (which at $30 a pop is a nice perk). Also may be some other discounts mentioned.

I retract my prior statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    Get a PS3. Sony has done a nice job designing it and your kid will be happy for getting a nice gaming system. It really is a nice player for blu-ray discs. Unless you want to use a video game controller to run your discs, I'd invest a few bucks in the remote though.

Also, I would buy the upgraded (larger HD) system. The upgraded system has wireless capabilities which makes it convenient for the upgrades. Otherwise you have to run a long LAN cable (or unhook your system and take it to your modem) each time you do a firmware update.

As noted above, the PS3 also does a nice job upconverting DVDs. I have a 65" TV and the picture looks really nice.

Check out www.slickdeals.net for current deals on the PS3. There is usally some deal where you order it and get a rebate for 5 free blu-ray discs (which at $30 a pop is a nice perk). Also may be some other discounts mentioned.
    If what dukiedevil sez is true, get the bigger HD PS3. Convenience is good, and LAN cables are a pain.

I retract my statement above based on this link. It looks like the only benefit is backward compatability with PS2 and One games as well as the ability to read memory sticks. Both systems now have wireless.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/Comparison

I would still consider the upraded system, but that's just a personal preference. Sorry for the earlier mis-statement. What I said was true last Spring

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, there is another advantage to the PS3 if you want a Blu-ray device -- it is network upgradeable, and it is made by the creators of Blur-ray, so you know that it will be well supported with software updates for many years to come. Some early Blu-ray adopters have found themselves saddled with devices that are difficult to upgrade or don't support the more recent versions of the Blu-ray spec.

I agree that downloadable will probably be the way of the future, but I may pick up a PS3 at some point if prices come down. I would be doing so primarily for game play.
    Bingo! That is the exact reason I got a PS3 and not a BluRay standalone player. Plus I love Pro Evo Soccer (just released today) and Call of Duty 4, which is an AMAZING online game. Back to BluRay discussion.