Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Congrats to the guys from Chapel Hill. They made the plays at the end and we just couldn't muster up one last run. We had 3 chances up 2 to extend the lead and just couldn't get over that hump. Loss hurts, but Next Play!!!! On to the ACC Tournament in Charlotte, and lets hope we meet again. Can't complain about the refs too much, because despite Hess, and Valentine doing the game they didn't let Hansbro shoot free throws. I doubt we ever see that again. Gotta say though Paulus played awesome tonight, and so did Scheyer for the most part, and who knows if Zoubs doesn't get in foul trouble he probably could have played more. He played good for what he was in for tonight IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Stall ball up 5 with 2 minutes left is a lot different than stall ball up 2 with 5 minutes left against a potent offensive team like UNC.
    What does UNC's "potency" have to do with it? UNC isn't potent when we have the ball. The issue is purely how we run our offense, and whether we can get good shots out of it.

We've run the spread beautifully all year. We didn't tonight. Look, I didn't like pulling the ball out either when we made our comeback playing with great pace. The problem was, as I said, that our guys had dead legs. It was a calculated risk. It didn't work. That happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisDevil View Post
    Looking ahead... does this mean we get the 7/10 match up in the ACC Tourney. If so... would be potential rematch with Wake.
    We play the 7/10 winner, which is Georgia Tech (7) vs. Virginia (10).
    Bob Green

the dunk

did he hit the rim

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    What does UNC's "potency" have to do with it? UNC isn't potent when we have the ball. The issue is purely how we run our offense, and whether we can get good shots out of it.

We've run the spread beautifully all year. We didn't tonight. Look, I didn't like pulling the ball out either when we made our comeback playing with great pace. The problem was, as I said, that our guys had dead legs. It was a calculated risk. It didn't work. That happens sometimes.
    I agree it was a dead legs move. But it killed their rhythm.

And potency has a lot to do with it. Duke could only eat away 35 seconds of the clock. UNC could come down and score and then you're tied. They left themselves with too little time to take smart shots.

As much as i want to say the refs had nothing to do with it- they did. It was unreal the amount of times Duke touched the ball on the offensive end, with no fouls called, and UNC get's breathed on, and it's a foul...Duke had atleast 7 fouls at 11min left in the first half.

What I also saw was Gerald's taking over in the last few minutes- for nothing- ala the game vs. Pitt. Too many flat footed shots, too many bad shots with no proper use of the shot clock. I hope the men build off this game, and take over the ACC tourney, and beat the sh*t out of UNC in the final...If UNC makes it that far.

LET'S GO DUKE

All in all this is the first time we have lost to UNC that it doesn't make me sick to my stomach. I think tonight showed that UNC needs to worry about seeing us again because without our sub-par all around first half, we showed we are every bit as good as the so-called best team in the country. I think we showed we can slow down Hansbrough to where he didn't have an imediate impact all over the court. And I'm so tired of the Ty Lawson crap. He nor Quentin Thomas had a huge impact. The big players were Ellington and Green. Everytime we got something going those were the two who answered.
    For the first time in my life I agree with Roy that the officiating sucked!!!! It was good for the most part but the bad calls seemed to come at the worst times or the most critical times. I think they finally called it pretty straight up in the post and it showed with Hansbrough not going to the line at all.
    I'm glad this game is over. I believe now we can go into the ACC and the NCAA tournament loose and hopefully get back to our consistent play and concentrate on the big picture. I promise that Carolina is more worried about us than we are them. If we meet in the ACC tourney, there won't be the pressure of senior night and ACC records and we'll have nothing to lose on a neutral court.
    And just a tip of the hat for our team for a hard fought game and a great season so far!! One thing we can always say is our guys are the epitomy of class in the NCAA. Wish we could say the same for UNC. I think it's a disgrace that they can't win or lose without Danny Green dancing everywhere and flashing his jersey and what's up with Hansbrough not even acknowledging guys as they are shaking hands after the game. He just stands normally with his lip hanging down like he's in an empty room. OH well!! Just a lil rant before bed. Good game guys!! On to the ACC tourney. GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-08-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: took out reference to Danny Green calling him "their ghetto star"

My thought on seeding

Going into tonight, I thought Duke had to win out for the rest of the season to get the #1 seed in the East. At this point, we still have a shot at a #1 seed, but not in the east IMO.

The East #1 seed is UNC's to lose. Even if they do lose in the ACC Tournament (and we beat them), I think Tennessee or Memphis would get the East #1 over us.

That being said, as long as we make the quarterfinals of the ACC tourney, I think we're guaranteed a #2 seed. If we manage to win the whole thing, we could certainly sneak in the back door to a #1 seed, but we need help to get it.
    "There can BE only one."

I had a feeling that when G missed that follow up that might loom huge. The no call over the back on Jon allowing them to tie didn't help much either. Still this game came down to how awful Duke played in the 1st half.

If we're a #2 what region we getting sent to?

Looked Young

We came back great, looked tough but in the last 5 minutes either our legs wore out or we were just mentally not tough enough, which could say a lot about our youth. Irregardless of all the opportunities, we just couldn't push the lead past 2 and then we simply rushed some really bad shots.

Carolina played great, great defense tonight. Probably their best defensive performance of the year, I can't see that type of play lasting from them. We went toe to toe with the supposed #1 team in America, playing horrible ball for about 25 minutes, and still we were in the game.

Let's get some rest, calm down and bit and work the bloody ball on Offense and pray the Kyle can find his da#@ shot.

I still like our chances in the Dance, we've had a heck of a year people, I'll take 13-3 any day.

Good bye number one seed for us.

It really hurt watching us take the lead at 68-66 and then proceed to NOT score the rest of the game. Really painful. After they got the lead back at 70-68 and then 72-68 it seemed like we got tight again and started forcing our offensive touches....

I would have loved to see the lead for us grow to 70-66 and see what happened. We had our opportunites...what if??? I hate losing on our home court...

Got a quick ban on Snrubchat, but things were already a little touchy by then...I've said a lot worse so and read a lot worse so I'm not going to sweat it...

On to the ACC Tourney...

I also thought...

that our real scorers all had a terrible game. Singler, Nelson, and Henderson combined to shoot 9-34, or 26%. I just don't see us winning with those guys having such a bad game. And it wasn't just shooting. Several times, it seemed that GH, DN, or KS dribbled into trouble and just got lost. Greg definitely kept us in this game. But when he's your high scorer (and don't take this wrong because I'm one of his supporters!), you're screwed.

I agree it was a dead legs move. But it killed their rhythm.

And potency has a lot to do with it. Duke could only eat away 35 seconds of the clock. UNC could come down and score and then you're tied. They left themselves with too little time to take smart shots.
    Okay, but take a step back for a second. Forget about this game. Do you agree that Duke has run the spread very well this year?

I don't disagree with you, but I also know why we did it. We were dead tired. It takes a lot out of you to make a run like Duke did. You could see some dead legs (witness G airballng a dunk), and I think K was trying to give the guys a bit of a break. Problem is, as you said, it curtailed some of the momentume we'd built. We've run the spread offense so well this year (because it is very similar to our base offense) that I'm sure K thought it would work tonight as well. But it didn't. Those are the breaks, I guess.
    You're right about Duke being tired but so was UNC and we have just as much or more sitting on the bench. We had an advantage and think that if we had pressed it we would have had a better shot. We didn't necessarily need to press and run for the sake of running but we should have at least been running some offense.

The think to remember is the the stall offense takes precision and concentration which are difficult when you are exhausted. If you keep moving and attacking adrenaline has a chance to keep you going. Also, if you don't let UNC rest maybe they don't execute so well down the stretch?

Of course I don't have 30 years of coaching experience, so what do I know?

Okay, but take a step back for a second. Forget about this game. Do you agree that Duke has run the spread very well this year?
    Yes. They have... but not as well in the last few games. But we can't forget this game, because they didn't run it very well tonight. That's the point. I just don't think stall ball after you finally caught an offensive rhythm is the kind of risk you take with the way the game was going.

Ole Roy covering "Duke" with tape on his chair

Can you imagine the reaction that would ensue if K did that? Yet I guarantee you most other schools think it's "cool" for Ole Roy to do it because he smiles and says dadgumit. I have much less respect for him than I did for Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post

That being said, as long as we make the quarterfinals of the ACC tourney, I think we're guaranteed a #2 seed. If we manage to win the whole thing, we could certainly sneak in the back door to a #1 seed, but we need help to get it.
    Well unless our bus driver forgets where the Bobcats Arena is we won't miss the Qtrs since we have all ready locked up that spot as the #2 seed . I agree with you though.

On the #1 seed topic who's to say that we even need that. Remember besides 86, 92, 01, and 04 *in K's time* we have been to the FF without being the #1 seed. 91 we won it as a #2 seed so who knows maybe we can do better this time out of that spot? Just trying to look at the bright side of things.

congrats carolina blues... you just hit the shots... we didnt... i knew we had to shoot 40% or more from the treyball line to win ... and we didn't... 34% from treyball line and 32% from the field will not beat a UNC team...

ah, come on...

Honestly, they only held Hansbrough down because they were getting away with murder down low.
    ...and the baby blues weren't?

As Singler Goes...

In all four losses this year, I'd like to see Kyle's numbers because even though he's a frosh, when he plays well, we win...tonight, he played very good D but the offense still is a bit off. I hope he hasn't hit the freshman wall...

Still, we played horrible offense for 25 minutes and still almost won the game. We are going to be fine.