Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    i think that might be the worse 5 minutes of his career tonite as the game came to an end. i hope it it out of his system in time for the tourney.
    That dunk attempt... it looked like he changed his mind halfway up, like he was going to lay it in, but then wanted to dunk... and then, blah.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Why in the hell did we go into the stall offense with 4:00 to go and up 2? We had the momentum, UNC seemed tired and out of sorts and all of the sudden we start holding the ball at the half court line! It makes no sense to me. We lost our rhythm both offensively and defensively and gave UNC the chance to rest and collect themselves. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    I don't disagree with you, but I also know why we did it. We were dead tired. It takes a lot out of you to make a run like Duke did. You could see some dead legs (witness G airballng a dunk), and I think K was trying to give the guys a bit of a break. Problem is, as you said, it curtailed some of the momentume we'd built. We've run the spread offense so well this year (because it is very similar to our base offense) that I'm sure K thought it would work tonight as well. But it didn't. Those are the breaks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    People, please read Troublemaker's post.
    No one's blaming the refs. Just mentioning some pretty god awful calls.

Another thought, I am not sure I can remember Duke ever being blocked so many time in one game. It seemed like every other shot was blocked, it was unreal.

I didn't think the refs were very good but, in fairness, Hansbrough didn't take a single foul shot. Tough to make a case that the refs decided this game.
    We need a rematch next week. If we beat Carolina in the final next week, we should get the #1 in the East, although the bracket-makers probably won't see it that way.

Dickie V is an idiot

"Tyler Hansbrough - how many players can say they came to Duke 4 years in a row, and left with a W."

First of all Dickie, Tyler's a Junior. He's only been to Cameron 3 times.

Second of all, Duke won 4 years ago.

Idiot. Glad I could listen to Bob Harris for this one.

Gritty effort. We showed a lot of heart to come back and take the lead in the 2nd half, but then UNC started to play defense again. UNC played better than we did for most of the game, and the officials let both teams get away with a ton.

Key to the game in my mind was our lack of offense (or UNC's Defense, depending on how you slice it). We had two 5 minute stretches where we got zero points, and you can't do that against the #1 team in the country and expect to win very often. Despite that, we still almost pulled it off.

Next play.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    I didn't think the refs were very good but, in fairness, Hansbrough didn't take a single foul shot. Tough to make a case that the refs decided this game.
    We need a rematch next week. If we beat Carolina in the final next week, we should get the #1 in the East, although the bracket-makers probably won't see it that way.
    I agree. My point was, in a "let them play" game, it favors the bigger, more physical team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Not scoring in the last 5 minutes killed us, absoluley killed us. Stallball is horrible, needs to be abolished. It like the prevent defense in football, it prevents you from winning.
    So were you calling for "stallball" to be "abolished" in all the games this year where Duke ran it beautifully and pulled away down the stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTD View Post
    Good comeback... can't expect to win when missing all your shots at the end.

Still, the play of the game was the no-call on Green when he went over Scheyer's back on the rebound. I am still amazed that didn't get called.
    Terrible. I could not believe that.

Might have been a different outcome had we scored when we went up by two. Oh well, lets get them sunday.

tired = poor shots

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but I also know why we did it. We were dead tired. It takes a lot out of you to make a run like Duke did. You could see some dead legs (witness G airballng a dunk), and I think K was trying to give the guys a bit of a break. Problem is, as you said, it curtailed some of the momentume we'd built. We've run the spread offense so well this year (because it is very similar to our base offense) that I'm sure K thought it would work tonight as well. But it didn't. Those are the breaks, I guess.
    I think you're dead on. You could see the shots stop falling for both teams once they were exhausted.

Next play - looking forward to next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    So were you calling for "stallball" to be "abolished" in all the games this year where Duke ran it beautifully and pulled away down the stretch?
    Stall ball up 5 with 2 minutes left is a lot different than stall ball up 2 with 5 minutes left against a potent offensive team like UNC.

"If we beat Carolina in the final next week, we should get the #1 in the East"

it seems to me that the results of the acc final rarely have an effect on the seeding. if carolina lost before the final and we win the tourney, maybe.

well...

I see where Tyler gets that "I'm gonna cry any second now" look...from his DAD!! They showed him on the ESPN feed, and MAN did he look EXACTLY the same. Speaking of Tyler, I thought we did a great job keeping him down most of the game.

I was really proud of the team for fighting so hard to get back in the game in the second half. I thought they just didn't have anything left in the tank that last five minutes.

Thanks, Demarcus, for a GREAT four years. There are few guys I've been more proud to call a BLUE DEVIL than you. The way you've fought through the injuries to become the player that you've become, and the way you've become the young man you've become, is, in a word, special. Thanks.

Next Steps

Looking ahead... does this mean we get the 7/10 match up in the ACC Tourney. If so... would be potential rematch with Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I see where Tyler gets that "I'm gonna cry any second now" look...from his DAD!! They showed him on the ESPN feed, and MAN did he look EXACTLY the same. Speaking of Tyler, I thought we did a great job keeping him down most of the game.

I was really proud of the team for fighting so hard to get back in the game in the second half. I thought they just didn't have anything left in the tank that last five minutes.

Thanks, Demarcus, for a GREAT four years. There are few guys I've been more proud to call a BLUE DEVIL than you. The way you've fought through the injuries to become the player that you've become, and the way you've become the young man you've become, is, in a word, special. Thanks.
    Honestly, they only held Hansbrough down because they were getting away with murder down low.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I agree. My point was, in a "let them play" game, it favors the bigger, more physical team.
    I agree

I think it's important that we acknowledge that UNC played some darn good defense tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by duke211 View Post
    Did not see it, what happend
    What happened? The dunk didn't. He got a wide open lane, jumped, and just didn't elevate. He did the Sprite commercial thing. So sad.

On a related note, go Hokies.

Lot to like

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Great comeback by the devils in the 2nd half and then we suddenly reverted to the same team we were in the 1st half. Frustrating.

Love this team, but tonight I am one disappointed devil.
    A lot of things went well tonight in the second half

The good:

1. We held UNC well under their normal point total. Solid defense

2. Scheyer had an excellent all around game.

3. Paulus played well all around and his shooting in the first half gave us a chance.

4. Henderson looked decent offensively but he was somewhat neutralized by the size and quickness of UNC.

5. Thomas and Zoubek played well. Zoubek needs to get more minutes against UNC since he gives us a solid inside presence.

The not so good.

6. Nelson was good defensively but his offense was off except for a few layups. His shooting was way off tonight and he really has trouble taking the ball into a crowd of bigs. Maybe he shouldn't put himself in that position but wait for the ball handlers to deliver the ball to him in scoring position.

4. Singler couldn't operate inside against the agility and size of UNC.

Our team showed a lot of heart but just couldn't finish at the end of the game. Another meeting and we would have a good chance of winning.