Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Duke was waaaaay out of gas when K decided to slow it down....

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Re stallball, I do think it hurt us on a couple of possessions. My concern wasn't that we went too early, but that we didn't have enough of a lead, up only two. K may have thought his guys needed a bit of a breather? But on one particular possession I remember just flat running out of shot clock altogether - I think there was maybe 1 second left when someone heaved up an ugly shot.

My overall take on the game is that the better team won. It took a furious rally with furious defense to get Duke back in the game, and at that point we had nothing left. UNC's better athletes were just too much for Duke to match up with on less than a perfect night for our guys.
    I don't feel too bad after this loss because of what we showed! That game could have gone either way, and I agree with you in that Duke was just totally tired when K waved for some hold up. I don't think it stalled our momentum at all; we just had no gas and he could see it. We could all see it in our shots during that last four minutes or so.

We are going to be very strong in the ACC tourney and in the NCAAs. Keep tuned in Devils, the team needs all of us!

dth.

Postgame player interviews

I'm always impressed with the Duke players post-game interviews. First, they're very gracious in defeat, and complimentary of the other team. After a huge loss, many would wallow in self pity and talk about how they played poorly, but they instead also give Carolina credit for playing well in addition to talking about the aspects that they could improve on. Second, they're very eloquent and articulate compared to the vast majority of other college basketball players.

Even watching the UNC post-game interviews, I felt, Duke comes off as having a much better media presence and more down-to-earth players, IMO. And UNC is certainly one of the classier programs in the nation in regards to the type of men they recruit.

Danny Green's huge chest tattoos are also interesting. Especially the "$GREEN$ TAKES THE WORLD" that goes around a picture of the globe on the right side of his chest. At least, I think it says "TAKES" but I couldn't quite make out that word. Can anybody make out the huge quote on his left side? Was just curious. I'm not saying having tattoos makes somebody unclassy (we have a few players with them), I just can't imagine Coach K recruiting a player who would have gotten a GREEN$$$$$ tattoo, but I could be wrong...

See http://wral.com/sports/ and the sports video playlist for the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Personally, I think DeMarcus kinda psyched himself out with all the talk about not wanting a repeat of JJ and Shel's senior night. That was a miscalculation on his part, IMHO. Even if he felt that way, I wouldn't have communicated it to anyone else. It just adds undue pressure to yourself and everyone around you. I say you have to posture yourself where you are the hunter and not the hunted. And when you talk about past defeats and not wanting that to happen again you kinda put yourself in a defensive position, mentally speaking. And that makes you more like the quarry that's trying to avoid being caught - again.
    Gary, we've disagreed on enough matters elsewhere that I thought it worth saying how on target I think you are here. It's usually one of K's real strengths to be able to help the players frame these challenges mentally in the right way, but Markie probably put some extra pressure on himself here he didn't need.

On the stallball issue, I'm with Jumbo. I didn't second guess K at all because I could see the tired legs. And I was also thinking that since Carolina was pretty clearly the better team last night, shortening the end of the game as much as possible by eating clock would give Duke a better chance to win. Without, I hope, revisiting the bench question, I would suggest that K consider using his longer first half rotation in the second half as well, given how much energy and effort Duke typically expends. It would give the guys who are going to be in at the end another minute or two of rest, and it might elevate King's confidence to the point where the one or two shots he gets in tight games are more likely to go in.

Also, by way of second guessing, for a long time I've wondered what's up with K's standard end-of-the-first-half offensive play. Going back at least to Grant Hill, it has been, as far as I can remember, nothing but a clear out for the best one-on-one player, having him dribble around until nine seconds are left and then throw up a shot that has virtually no chance to go in. I'd wager that if someone went back and checked the percentages in these situations, he would find that Duke has been scoring less than 20 percent of the time for years. It seems like the main idea is to prevent a turnover, rather than score.

Of course, K seems very much to have settled into the NBA-like offensive philosophy of exploiting individual match-ups, rather than running the old-fashioned set plays. I think the Olympics is going to provide a very interesting test of the two approaches.

Brian Butch

Didnt Butch say he wouldnt come to UNC because he didnt have enough "swagger"?

Perfect quote.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Gary, we've disagreed on enough matters elsewhere that I thought it worth saying how on target I think you are here. It's usually one of K's real strengths to be able to help the players frame these challenges mentally in the right way, but Markie probably put some extra pressure on himself here he didn't need.

On the stallball issue, I'm with Jumbo. I didn't second guess K at all because I could see the tired legs. And I was also thinking that since Carolina was pretty clearly the better team last night, shortening the end of the game as much as possible by eating clock would give Duke a better chance to win. Without, I hope, revisiting the bench question, I would suggest that K consider using his longer first half rotation in the second half as well, given how much energy and effort Duke typically expends. It would give the guys who are going to be in at the end another minute or two of rest, and it might elevate King's confidence to the point where the one or two shots he gets in tight games are more likely to go in.
    Thanks, dkbaseball. I think the Markie situation was pretty obvious. There just wasn't any need to insert more pressure into that moment, but that's what he did (unintended as I'm sure it was).

I absolutely agree with your comments about the 1st half rotation being used some in the 2nd half of games. 100% agree. That's been my one beef for most of the ACC season, because it's been really clear that we are willing to use the full 10 in the first half pretty much regardless of score or situation. But not so in the 2nd half. I'd like to see that tweaked just a tad so that we have fresher players come crunch time.

Gary

I don't think there's any question that our guys were gassed at the end of the game last night. I also don't think that there's any question that this affected shots (and perhaps decision making). Anybody else think that Gerald throws that dunk down instead of grazing the front of the rim if he's not exhausted?

That being said, I'd guess that two factors played more into our dead legs than a short rotation. One, it looked a little warm in Cameron last night. Wasn't there, but Shulman and V managed to whine about it being "90 degrees" about a half dozen times, so I'm guessing there's something to that. Two, every time we play UNC and especially every time we play UNC for Senior Night, it is really, really, really hard for the guys not to get geeked too quickly and at times even start the game worn out. A lot of emotional and physical energy is spent just leading up to the game. The staff does everything they can for that (from what I've read and heard), but when you're playing in this rivalry in this day and age, and you're 20-something years old - it is hard to throttle down appropriately.

These factors played far more into our tired-ness than a short bench.

On the ESPN telecast, Erin Andrews said either late in the first half or early second half that both teams were gassed, and both teams are pretty deep; she also said it was about 90 degrees in CIS so I'm not surprised guys were tired.

As far as last night goes, I think Duke is just fine. Of course, I would've liked to beat Carolina but there are some positives to take from this game. Even with a solid 15 minutes of play in the 2nd half, Duke played one of their worst games of the year and still had a prime opportunity to win a game against the #1 team in America. What's more, we also had 6-minute drought in the first half and a decisive 5 minute drought to finish the game. Much like Carolina on 2/6, we came back after halftime but just didn't have enough gas left to get over the hump; it happens in college basketball all the time.

Krzyzewski had a great quote about how winning in a game like last night requires getting a lead of two possessions late in the game. He couldn't have been more right; when Duke was got up 68-66, I knew we were in trouble when we kept blowing opportunities to get up by 4 or 5 despite getting some stops. Carolina's the last team you let hang around.

I was extremely impressed with the way both Scheyer and Zoubek played and with Brian coming around, I think Duke's chances to win it all increase materially; he was called for a couple cheap fouls but that's going to happen from time to time

We looked a little rough last night but I still think this team in headed in the right direction going into the ACC Tourney. That being said, I think how we do this coming week is very important. Losing that NC State game last year just continued a downward spiral going into the VCU game; in hindsight it's not too surprising we lost. We need to get a few Ws in the ACC Tourney and start to click heading into March. This isn't last year where I would've been happy just getting to the Sweet 16.

8. Who still wore Duke gear in public today?

Regardless of who we win or lose to, I still wear all of my Duke gear in public, around Tar Heels, and anyone else. This year, perhaps, more than ever. Why? Because I still think we have a excellent team and I think we will make some noise in the Big Dance.

- We proved that we can compete well against teams with size (UNC, Wisc)
    - We proved that we can complete well against teams with athletes (Marq, UNC)
    - We are # 2 in the country in scoring
    - We have 5 players averaging in double figures

I can't wait to see how well we do against teams who haven't watched tape on us all year long, and on neutral courts. I think we'll do really well. I think we'll do far better than our many critics think we'll do.

MARCH ON, DUKE, MARCH ON...

Why wouldn't you be wearing Duke gear? I had my Cameron Crazie shirt on all day today. Wouldn't have it any other way, win or loss.

Proudly wore my sweatshirt to the gym today. Didn't get so much as a glance from anyone.

LGD.

I went to the mall with my Duke sweatpants and sweatshirt. A few cashiers made comments but most of them asked what happened because they missed the game.

Like TwoDukeTattoos, I feel good going into these 2 tournaments. Duke played what I thought was one of their more inferior games of the year and still found themselves staring a W in the face with 5 minutes left. I'm upset we didn't win but I was impressed that Duke was able to come back to recapture the lead in the first place.

Of course I still wore my Duke Sweatshirt--despite my UNC neighbor's look of astonishment. Let's get ready for the tourney!!

Every single day is a great day to be a Duke Blue Devil fan. Some days are better than others, but there is no such thing as a bad day to be a Duke fan. Why would you not where your Duke togs. Far more important to wear the Duke togs after a loss than after a win. That's what makes us Duke.

Currently wearing my Duke shooting shirt.

Thought Scheyer did a great job last night (and for the last several games) of being more assertive on offense, and forcing the situation a little-- but not too much-- his assertiveness has been a crucial add, in this period when Singler's ability to hit the outside shot has diminished.

Wink Not me, alas

My only public foray today was to go skiing, and my one-piece ski outfit is totally unsponsored.

sagegrouse
    'Maybe next year I'll have a Blue Devils ski jacket'

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    This is from Pat Forde's article:
    Green went after the rim with particular gusto on one first-half fast break, posterizing Paulus with a thunderous dunk that Heels fans will be celebrating for months.

"It felt good, man," Green said. "There's a lot of people in the country that don't like Greg Paulus. I'm pretty sure they were pretty happy watching that."

And people wonder why I hate UNC so much...these guys seem to be more interested in ego than heart. I really hope they collapse in the NCAAs again. It would be nice to see them get taken down a notch by a mid-major.

Not that I'm bitter or anything...
    Where does Green get his market research on Paulus-- how does he know this? I'm not saying he's wrong, because there have been about 3-4 teams in the league (Miami, VPI, NC State, and BC, among others) who have taken cheap shots at Paulus early in the game, when he couldn't possibly have done anything to justify it, so maybe Green is right-- maybe my question should be "Why the hell do all these people have it in for Paulus-- what has he done to deserve these cheap shots?"

And while I'm on the subject of Green-- does anybody else think he has a ridiculously proportioned body-- all torso, short legs, like somebody put him on the rack and stretched him from the waist to the shoulders-- he looks like Gumby to me, and every time he starts doing his dance, I think "Dance, Gumby, dance" (visions of Eddie Murphy floating through my head.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Where does Green get his market research on Paulus-- how does he know this? I'm not saying he's wrong, because there have been about 3-4 teams in the league (Miami, VPI, NC State, and BC, among others) who have taken cheap shots at Paulus early in the game, when he couldn't possibly have done anything to justify it, so maybe Green is right-- maybe my question should be "Why the hell do all these people have it in for Paulus-- what has he done to deserve these cheap shots?"
    Greg is relatively small, combative, and doesn't back down. He also is the player who most resembles some of the most hated Dukies of the past (Hurley, JJ, Wojo, Collins). It's most just someone new stepping into the role. I'm surprised Scheyer hasn't taken more of the brunt.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-10-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

on to the tournaments

If UNC is a consensus choice for #1 overall seed in the tournament (which they seem to be among the talking heads), I think we should be encouraged about our prospects in the tournament. Duke just dug too big a hole in the first half and much of that appears to be from circumstances specific to that game...Senior night, hype, overly emotional, etc.

Wouldn't mind playing Carolina again. Kansas makes me nervous, but no other team does. We can make a big run this year IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You know, that's an interesting analogy. That game didn't bother me because of how well the Giants played. And tonight I'm not as upset as usual after a loss to UNC. But this time, I think it's because we didn't play well, yet showed some real guts to make a second-half run and take the lead. Hmmmm...
    I agree with both you and Pernell-- and I like the analogy even better because in this case, Duke has already beaten UNC on their floor, not just given them hell at home... so I would say that Duke has every reason to think that on another day, with an inspired performance, they can beat UNC on a "neutral" floor (we'll see how neutral it is, when we see how many seats UNC fans get to the final, if we meet them there), much as the Giants beat the Patriots.

I think with Scheyer continuing his inspired, assertive performances on offense, and Henderson generally getting better every game, since he has recovered from the initial debilitation of the wrist injury, another week can only help Duke, as Paulus is likely to remain consistent with his level of play so far, and Nelson is unlikely to play as poorly as he did last night. Zoubek may also be able to build on some of the positive things he did against Hansborough last night, as well. Yes, Lawson will also improve, but I don't think he has that much more headroom, given the slow rate he has recovered from the ankle injury.

My main concern going into the UNC game was Singler's recent slump from outside-- and it continued last night-- I don't know why he is missing now, but I have no sound reason to expect it to end soon, as this has been going on for about 3-4 games now. I have no answer, other than he seems a little more accurate from the top of the key than from the corner, so if he is going to take that shot, I'd like to see it from up high, rather than the corner.

Even with Iron Man slumping...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    I agree with both you and Pernell-- and I like the analogy even better because in this case, Duke has already beaten UNC on their floor, not just given them hell at home... so I would say that Duke has every reason to think that on another day, with an inspired performance, they can beat UNC on a "neutral" floor (we'll see how neutral it is, when we see how many seats UNC fans get to the final, if we meet them there), much as the Giants beat the Patriots.

I think with Scheyer continuing his inspired, assertive performances on offense, and Henderson generally getting better every game, since he has recovered from the initial debilitation of the wrist injury, another week can only help Duke, as Paulus is likely to remain consistent with his level of play so far, and Nelson is unlikely to play as poorly as he did last night. Zoubek may also be able to build on some of the positive things he did against Hansborough last night, as well. Yes, Lawson will also improve, but I don't think he has that much more headroom, given the slow rate he has recovered from the ankle injury.

My main concern going into the UNC game was Singler's recent slump from outside-- and it continued last night-- I don't know why he is missing now, but I have no sound reason to expect it to end soon, as this has been going on for about 3-4 games now. I have no answer, other than he seems a little more accurate from the top of the key than from the corner, so if he is going to take that shot, I'd like to see it from up high, rather than the corner.
    ....Duke was still in a great position to win that game! Even with all the things that went wrong, we were one shot, maybe two, from winning that game, and after being down so far and also watching our Captain go completely scoreless in that first half....this speaks well of Duke. Dang guys, Duke is right now equal to Carolina in my opinion.

dukestheheat