Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Duke vs. Carolina Post-Game Thread

Post your comments here.
    Bob Green

So if we when the ACC tournment can we still get #1 in the east?

Great comeback by the devils in the 2nd half and then we suddenly reverted to the same team we were in the 1st half. Frustrating.

Love this team, but tonight I am one disappointed devil.

Sooooo angry about this game...

They "let them play," which only benefits a more physical team like UNC.

And man... if they hit a couple shots up 2, game's over.

Instead, they went into dribble-drive-turnover mode. ARRRRRRRRGGGGH.

And WTF was up with that non-call on the Scheyer 3?

boo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Post your comments here.
    Well, they had their chances. If it wasn't for the brutal first half this game is Duke's. I'm confident they can rebound and win the ACC tournament. Either Duke is a legit final four threat or UNC is overrated.

I must say that the officiating was just awful. First half they call EVERYTHING, last 6 minutes they call NOTHING. Scheyer gets flat run over from behind on a rebound and that's OK. That's not fair to the players on either side. And surprise surprise, it's Carl Hess working the game! Nice no call on the offensive goaltend in the first half.

That sucked.

when Henderson missed that simple dunk

you knew it wasn't our night,

we had 3 or 4 straight possessions and we couldn't take it to 4 or 5

oh my, when we took the lead we never scored again, damn!!!

Tough to win without scoring a single point over the last 5:40

The refs had nothing to do with the loss. Let's head that off at the pass right now.

We played tight in the 1st half, finally loosened up in the 2nd half to storm back, and then UNC executed better down the stretch.

The problem with an 11-pt halftime deficit as opposed to say a 6-pt deficit is that when we made our run, instead of taking control of the game, we only created a toss-up game. And in a toss-up game, by definition, one or two plays can decide the outcome. If G makes that dunk to get a 4-pt lead, if Green gets called for over-the-back against Jon (again, not blaming the refs, though), etc etc.

We needed to play much better in the 1st half, bottom line. It wasn't too big a hole to dig out of to win, but it was too big of a hole to dig out of and then control the game. Then, UNC got some bounces and made some more plays once the game became a toss-up. And that's why we lost.

Don't blame the refs.

Why in the hell did we go into the stall offense with 4:00 to go and up 2? We had the momentum, UNC seemed tired and out of sorts and all of the sudden we start holding the ball at the half court line! It makes no sense to me. We lost our rhythm both offensively and defensively and gave UNC the chance to rest and collect themselves. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Now that my rant is over, great effort in the second half. We definitely showed that we can stick with them even when they have Lawson. Also, i can't believe that both teams had committed only 4 fouls with under a minute to go. That was a pretty physical game and the way they were blowing the whistle in the first half, it pretty amazing.

Hopefully we can get revenge next week in the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Sooooo angry about this game...

They "let them play," which only benefits a more physical team like UNC.

And man... if they hit a couple shots up 2, game's over.

Instead, they went into dribble-drive-turnover mode. ARRRRRRRRGGGGH.

And WTF was up with that non-call on the Scheyer 3?
    Two names....

Karl Hess & Ted Valentine

When I heard both of their names I knew the game was going to be a rough one.

Good comeback... can't expect to win when missing all your shots at the end.

Still, the play of the game was the no-call on Green when he went over Scheyer's back on the rebound. I am still amazed that didn't get called.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Why in the hell did we go into the stall offense with 4:00 to go and up 2? We had the momentum, UNC seemed tired and out of sorts and all of the sudden we start holding the ball at the half court line! It makes no sense to me. We lost our rhythm both offensively and defensively and gave UNC the chance to rest and collect themselves. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Now that my rant is over, great effort in the second half. We definitely showed that we can stick with them even when they have Lawson. Also, i can't believe that both teams had committed only 4 fouls with under a minute to go. That was a pretty physical game and the way they were blowing the whistle in the first half, it pretty amazing.

Hopefully we can get revenge next week in the tourney.
    Agreed. Why stall ball up 2 when you were in an offensive rhythm?

Instead, you rush shots deep into the shot clock, forcing shots that get blocked or turn the ball over. Dumb. GO WITH WHAT HAS WORKED ALL YEAR. Dribble, drive, kick, three.

I didn't think we had much teamwork in our offense for much of the game. Seems like guys were trying to win it all by themselves. We started clicking only when we started sharing the ball . . .

Good game

we need to win next week shrug off the loss, kyle needs to rest, if g dunks the ball we win the game well we still would have to hit a shot

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
    Two names....

Karl Hess & Ted Valentine

When I heard both of their names I knew the game was going to be a rough one.
    You know, I can say Duke was fouling left and right, too. But in a physical, non-call game like that, they're not going to win. They're not built for that kind of game. UNC is. That's what sucks about it.

Not scoring in the last 5 minutes killed us, absoluley killed us. Stallball is horrible, needs to be abolished. It like the prevent defense in football, it prevents you from winning.

Game thoughts

Horrible first half- Duke let the emotion get to them. Great second half comeback and good team D. The guys showed a ton of heart tonight to get a lat lead. But I think they had nothing left at the end. If a few of those shots had dropped- who knows. If Henderson had converted that layup with Duke up by two it would have put pressure on UNC. Duke had some other open looks down the stretch but for the first time in a whiile- they did not execute well in the last few minutes of the game. Can't win, if you miss 11 in a row. Duke played a bit into the hands of UNC by driving into the teeth of the D. But the refs did not call much. I mean when does a Duke UNC game end with both teams only getting 4 team fouls each. There were bodies all over the court. This was a physical game and that did not help Duke very much. But credit UNC for making plays at the end. They were the more poised team tonight when it counted. Duke had their shot to win- maybe next time. This team learned a lot tonight about playing in a big game. It is tourney time and everyone is 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Don't blame the refs.
    People, please read Troublemaker's post.

no joke

Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTD View Post
    Good comeback... can't expect to win when missing all your shots at the end.

Still, the play of the game was the no-call on Green when he went over Scheyer's back on the rebound. I am still amazed that didn't get called.
    That was ridiculous. I realize the refs don't make mistakes and that we can't blame them on this board without offending some people, but that was a terrible non-call.

On the positive side, we had that game at the end if we just make some follows in close. Let's hope we make them next weekend against whomever we play.