Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior night - thank you Markie!

On a Saturday morning in May 2002, I headed over to Cameron with my then not-quite-1-year-old son to watch the Bob Gibbons tournament. The stands were mostly empty, and we sat down to watch a team from Southern California play a Michigan team that was loaded with Div I prospects. The California team won that day, in large part because of the play of a strong wing player from Sacramento who seemingly could not miss. I happened to be sitting next to his father who remarked "You may be seeing alot more of my son in the future." I believe it was a few days later that DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke.

We have been so fortunate to have Markie here for the past 4 years. He has always played hard, even when fighting off injuries, and has grown into a great leader his senior year. It is always a little bittersweet when our players have their last game in Cameron, but I hope we can send #21 off with a victory tonight.

Thanks for coming to Duke, Markie, and good luck vs UNC!

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    On a Saturday morning in May 2002, I headed over to Cameron with my then not-quite-1-year-old son to watch the Bob Gibbons tournament. The stands were mostly empty, and we sat down to watch a team from Southern California play a Michigan team that was loaded with Div I prospects. The California team won that day, in large part because of the play of a strong wing player from Sacramento who seemingly could not miss. I happened to be sitting next to his father who remarked "You may be seeing alot more of my son in the future." I believe it was a few days later that DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke.

We have been so fortunate to have Markie here for the past 4 years. He has always played hard, even when fighting off injuries, and has grown into a great leader his senior year. It is always a little bittersweet when our players have their last game in Cameron, but I hope we can send #21 off with a victory tonight.

Thanks for coming to Duke, Markie, and good luck vs UNC!
    When I really think about it, Nelson's career arc (except for the injuries) has been so much like the last #21 to play at Duke. A highly rated recruit who struggled a little bit early (particularly with his outside shot), only to develop into the most valuable player and lone senior leader on a young and very talented team. Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball. Duhon had the signature moment of his senior season come against UNC (the coast-to-coast game-winning layup in OT in the Dean Dome), and I can only hope DeMarcus gets to pull off some similar heroics tonight. Regardless, I know I'll have just a wee bit of a lump in my throat watching Nelson take the Cameron court for the last time (what can I say - I'm a softie).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    I was at that game too! I remember watching Nelson and going - wow, I've never heard of this kid, but he's really, really good (I actually think I wrote a post about it on the old board - is there an archive of the old board posts that I can search to try to find it?). And then he did commit very shortly thereafter - I think he got the offer that weekend at the tournament.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Nelson has reminded me of Duhon his whole career, as both their times at Duke had similar tracks. I graduated the same year as Duhon, and I remember the next season turning on the tv to watch the first game and thinking that I was watching an old contest. Markie had the same build as Duhon then. He has turned into every bit the great player we thought he would be.

Thanks DeMarcus for 4 great years. Let's hope that he can end his career in Cameron the same way that Duhon did: with a victory over UNC!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Thanks DeMarcus, for all the great moments. It's hard toi believe it's been four years. We are all glad you chose Duke. Keep up the great leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Nelson has reminded me of Duhon his whole career, as both their times at Duke had similar tracks. I graduated the same year as Duhon, and I remember the next season turning on the tv to watch the first game and thinking that I was watching an old contest. Markie had the same build as Duhon then. He has turned into every bit the great player we thought he would be.

Thanks DeMarcus for 4 great years. Let's hope that he can end his career in Cameron the same way that Duhon did: with a victory over UNC!
    During the 2004 Men's basketball banquet/ awards ceremony that I attended from the stands, Chris Duhon had just finished saying that Wojo was one of the big reasons he chose to attend Duke. I remember Coach K subsequently tell the gathering that DeMarcus Nelson (who was to become a freshmen later that year) was inspired by Chris Duhon and that that was a big reason for his commitment to Duke.

I absolutely enjoyed watching Nelson play.

C-Well

The Duhon comparisons are interesting, but DeMarcus's senior season reminds me most of Chris Carrawell's. Stepping up from role player to dominant force their senior years, defending the other teams best player all over the court, slightly unconventional games, great leadership, and most importantly representing Duke in the best possible way. Let's hope Markie can pull of a senior night rout like C-Well did.

9F
    Last edited by mkirsh; 03-08-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelin

Carawell is better!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    The Duhon comparisons are interesting, but DeMarcus's senior season reminds me most of Chris Carrawell's. Stepping up from role player to dominant force their senior years, defending the other teams best player all over the court, slightly unconventional games, great leadership, and most importantly representing Duke in the best possible way. Let's hope Markie can pull of a senior night rout like C-Well did.

9F
    The comparison to Carawell is a better one, I think. ALthough I will never forget Chris going end-to-end at Carolina to win that game, Carawell's performance his entire senior year was amazing. He was interviewed either yesterday or the day before on 850 the Buzz and talked about his time at Duke and how great it was.

Markie, I have taught you in class and seen you all around campus. I'll be there tonight to say Thank You in the way Crazies do. Your challenges here at Duke have been overwhelming (esp. injuries), but your performance this year has been nothing short of spectacular!

Here's to a win for Markie on Senior Night! #21, we love you!
    DukeDevilDeb

thanks and good luck in the NBA

Many thanks to THE CAPTAIN!!!

What a great kid. What a great season he's having.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    When I really think about it, Nelson's career arc (except for the injuries) has been so much like the last #21 to play at Duke. A highly rated recruit who struggled a little bit early (particularly with his outside shot), only to develop into the most valuable player and lone senior leader on a young and very talented team. Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball. Duhon had the signature moment of his senior season come against UNC (the coast-to-coast game-winning layup in OT in the Dean Dome), and I can only hope DeMarcus gets to pull off some similar heroics tonight. Regardless, I know I'll have just a wee bit of a lump in my throat watching Nelson take the Cameron court for the last time (what can I say - I'm a softie).
    I agree and also another #21 that had injury probs but overcame them in Trajan Langdon. It's sad to see Markie play his last game in Cameron tonight so I want him to go out with a win.

The power of No. 21

With so many retired jersies, it's great to see a number that has produced so many good players in a row.

The current streak started with Jay Bilas. He passed it on to Robert Brickey. He passed it on to Tony Lang and from there to Langdon, Duhon in Nelson in succession.

Wow -- I love all those players. That's 24 straight years of excellence without a break.

As for DeMarcus, I really respect the way he's persevered in his career. Injured as a freshman ... injured as a soph ... he's made himself into a great player -- a clear first-team All-ACC choice (in many years, he'd be an ACC POY candidate, although that will go to Hanstravel this season).

I'm not suggesting that No. 21 be retired -- it shouldn't be -- but I hope the staff keeps the winning streak alive. I'd love to see Elliott Williams in No. 21 next season.

PS Maybe I like the number because my first Duke hero wore No. 21 -- Howard Hurt was a star on the 1960 team that won Duke's first ACC title. I was 10 years old at the time and he was my favorite player. Later, he became a great high school coach at Enloe in Raleigh, where he mentored future Duke star Randy Denton.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    With so many retired jersies, it's great to see a number that has produced so many good players in a row.

The current streak started with Jay Bilas. He passed it on to Robert Brickey. He passed it on to Tony Lang and from there to Langdon, Duhon in Nelson in succession.

Wow -- I love all those players. That's 24 straight years of excellence without a break.

As for DeMarcus, I really respect the way he's persevered in his career. Injured as a freshman ... injured as a soph ... he's made himself into a great player -- a clear first-team All-ACC choice (in many years, he'd be an ACC POY candidate, although that will go to Hanstravel this season).

I'm not suggesting that No. 21 be retired -- it shouldn't be -- but I hope the staff keeps the winning streak alive. I'd love to see Elliott Williams in No. 21 next season.

PS Maybe I like the number because my first Duke hero wore No. 21 -- Howard Hurt was a star on the 1960 team that won Duke's first ACC title. I was 10 years old at the time and he was my favorite player. Later, he became a great high school coach at Enloe in Raleigh, where he mentored future Duke star Randy Denton.

The historical perspective is pretty neat. I wonder if new players actually look into Duke basketball lore before they chose their number.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post

I absolutely enjoyed watching Nelson play.
    Enjoyed!?! Heres to 10 more games, starting tonight.

But yes, it has been a pleasure to watch him play at Duke.
    Thank you DeMarcus and good luck in the Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Enjoyed!?! Heres to 10 more games, starting tonight.
    Right on, here's to 10 more...!!

DeMarcus, I bow in homage! D-Mark! D-Mark D-Mark!

I'm a huge fan of yours and very much enjoy watching your game. I'm so appreciative of the four years you've given us and your great senior season. But most of all I admire your senior leadership and the way you represent the university.

Thank you, DeMarcus! Mon capitaine!

Thumbs up The Leader

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    TMarkie, I have taught you in class and seen you all around campus. I'll be there tonight to say Thank You in the way Crazies do. Your challenges here at Duke have been overwhelming (esp. injuries), but your performance this year has been nothing short of spectacular!

Here's to a win for Markie on Senior Night! #21, we love you!
    It's wonderful to see that bond between student and faculty ... and a great reminder about what binds us all together. Markie is one of many great players we've had the privilege to witness. No matter what comparison gets made, Markie is one of a kind.

After tonight, here's to hoping for nine more chances to see Markie further his place in Duke history!

CHEERS!!!
    Lavabe

Markie has grown into one hell of a leader. Whoever compared him to C-Well is right on.

I am proud to have had you represent us for the last four years, and in the years to come. Enjoy tonight, beat Carolina, and carry us through to the NC!!!

my fave d-mark moment wasn't highly touted but i think it was against va. tech last season when we were down three with a few seconds left in the 2nd half wen d-mark pulled up and buried the shot to send it to ot...we lost the game but i he was the man from then on

It's been so gratifying watching Demarcus finally have the kind of year we all knew he was capable of. It's been a long, injury-filled road since Demarcus first stepped foot on campus but the kid has persevered and that's what makes this season all the more gratifying. It's been a joy watching Demarcus play for Duke.

I remember Nelson's freshman year (my junior year), when we played UNC at Cameron and Nelson came off the bench to score 16 points in 29 minutes. That was when I knew Demarcus was a special player and I hope to see him leave the rivalry like he entered it.

If there's anything that could actually make me want Duke to win even more, it's by virtue of sending Demarcus off on the right note.

GO DUKE