Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you Markie for endevoring to the end and finally having the year/season you have always been capable of displaying to us!! It's so good to finally see you performing with a totally healthy body! You have done well and made us all so proud to have you as a leader of our team to root for and support!!

it's sad to see his time winding down with us. he always brings it, every night. it's been great to have him healthy for a season.

thanks for all you've done for our school mr. nelson and best wishes on all your future endeavors.

I'm almost starting to feel as though I may have taken Demarcus for granted a tiny bit...or either his time as a Blue Devil has seriously flown by. The last 2 or 3 weeks I've really been enjoying watching Demarcus play, he's grown so much since the beginning of the season.

I will miss him tremendously next year. I can't say it enough. He doesn't get enough national credit, imo. He's almost a "Nate James" type role to me. He's not always the leading scorer, but he's trying his damn hardest and, most of the time, works through his mistakes.

Markie is up there with my favorite Bue Devils - Hill, Battier and Ewing.

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for everything you have done for us. May your future be at least as bright as your past. The best of luck in your remaining games in a Duke uniform! (And good luck in the NFL-----yes, I said the NFL.)

ricks

Thanks for staying and thanks for four great years. You won't realize until you've left the Gothic Wonderland, how much you've meant to those of us who have gone before. Good luck!

Goodbye, DeMarcus.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    We have been so fortunate to have Markie here for the past 4 years. He has always played hard, even when fighting off injuries, and has grown into a great leader his senior year. It is always a little bittersweet when our players have their last game in Cameron, but I hope we can send #21 off with a victory tonight.

Thanks for coming to Duke, Markie, and good luck vs UNC!
    Like to take this chance to add my thanks -- it has been a pleasure to watch DeMarcus, and he has been outstanding leader during this regular season to what many have noted is a very young team. He's got a lot of heart, and has been good to Cameron.

Now lets beat UNC in the ACC tournament!!

Thank you Markie!

Markie will be missed for a multitude of reasons strength, hustle, determination. He improved every facet of his game this season less turnovers, more assists, rebounds shooting percentage, clutch plays, the list goes on and on. I feel bad he had what I thought was his worst game of the season last night but hey next play the season isn't over yet and he may not be the last nelson to play for us. I got the pleasure last week to watch his little/big brother 6'6 Darius Nelson a 15 year old Freshman with tons of potential at Arco Arena home of the Sac Kings in a section playoff game. After getting double teamed and scoring only 2 points in the 1st half and his team down by 10 points little brother scored 23 points in the second half capped by a drive the length of the court with 5 seconds left and drained a pull up three at the buzzer to tie the game 47-47. They ended up losing in overtime but the point is the Nelson boys are a tough pair and hopefully Darius will chose Duke in a few years and Markie will get a shot to play at the next level after leading us to a National Title. Everybody out there let's stay positive we're not done yet.

Demarcus! A treasured Dukie, a gentleman, a blessing! Go forth and prosper...

Leadership for New Season

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    Right on, here's to 10 more...!!
    Absolutely--everyone starts over for the tournaments, and Nelson's leadership will be the difference maker.

Anyone have a summary of what he said in his 'senior speech' after the game? Maybe I missed it in another thread..point me in that direction if that's the case!