The Chavez Conspiracy

Hey, what’s this—an article in DBR’s “White Hot Hype” by Chavez?

No, not the clown from Venezuela, although admittedly, one expects hype from that source.

No: I mean the piece by Luciana Chavez; “Some anger good for Duke.” You remember this Chavez—she’s the beat writer on Duke basketball for the News and Observer.

You do remember the Raleigh News and Observer, don’t you? It’s the largest circulation paper in the State capital and also has a fair circulation in Durham.

Admittedly I’ve given up reading much of the N&O: the paper of Barry (BS) Saunders, Samiha (“Dancer gives details of ordeal”) Khanna and others who undistinguished themselves in their coverage of the lacrosse case. But I still read material under the bylines of Joseph Neff and Luciana Chavez. In fact, I can heartily recommend today’s column by Luciana Chavez: “Duke’s Paulus won’t make any excuses.” I think it may also be of interest to other DBR readers!

The absence of pieces by Luciana Chavez from DBR’s news clippings has puzzled (and angered) me for some time. In the clippings from Tuesday’s game against Virginia, DBR featured the same clipping from something called Rich. com twice. (I guess there’s nothing like rubbing the win in to them!) You also featured a writer who mistakenly opined that a win vs the Holes on Saturday can get K “his 17th ACC title.” The ACC title is determined by the ACC Tournament. Is it because of this plethora of great basketball writers that you couldn’t show us Luciana’s piece on the Virginia game: “Devils flying into finale”? Or is there some other reason why she is largely absent from the selection of clippings in DBR?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Hey, what’s this—an article in DBR’s “White Hot Hype” by Chavez?

No, not the clown from Venezuela, although admittedly, one expects hype from that source.

No: I mean the piece by Luciana Chavez; “Some anger good for Duke.” You remember this Chavez—she’s the beat writer on Duke basketball for the News and Observer.

You do remember the Raleigh News and Observer, don’t you? It’s the largest circulation paper in the State capital and also has a fair circulation in Durham.

Admittedly I’ve given up reading much of the N&O: the paper of Barry (BS) Saunders, Samiha (“Dancer gives details of ordeal”) Khanna and others who undistinguished themselves in their coverage of the lacrosse case. But I still read material under the bylines of Joseph Neff and Luciana Chavez. In fact, I can heartily recommend today’s column by Luciana Chavez: “Duke’s Paulus won’t make any excuses.” I think it may also be of interest to other DBR readers!

The absence of pieces by Luciana Chavez from DBR’s news clippings has puzzled (and angered) me for some time. In the clippings from Tuesday’s game against Virginia, DBR featured the same clipping from something called Rich. com twice. (I guess there’s nothing like rubbing the win in to them!) You also featured a writer who mistakenly opined that a win vs the Holes on Saturday can get K “his 17th ACC title.” The ACC title is determined by the ACC Tournament. Is it because of this plethora of great basketball writers that you couldn’t show us Luciana’s piece on the Virginia game: “Devils flying into finale”? Or is there some other reason why she is largely absent from the selection of clippings in DBR?
    I completely agree. I am 780 miles from Durham. I would like to see all local paper articles about Duke BB linked. I don't understand not having all DHS and RN&O articles linked, as they used to be!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I completely agree. I am 780 miles from Durham. I would like to see all local paper articles about Duke BB linked. I don't understand not having all DHS and RN&O articles linked, as they used to be!
    I vaguely recall J&B having distanced DBR from the DHS in the wake of its atrociously biased coverage of the lacrosse fiasco, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Considering that the Herald-Sun has chosen to omit some/all coverage of some of Duke's games this season, I don't mind seeing their links omitted. That, and I don't think my home phone number is any of Bob Ashley or his staff's business (it's required for registration).

Besides, the Herald-Sun is a shadow of its former self, having been gutted by Paxton Media, one of the worst media companies in america. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Her...th_Carolina%29

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Considering that the Herald-Sun has chosen to omit some/all coverage of some of Duke's games this season, I don't mind seeing their links omitted. That, and I don't think my home phone number is any of Bob Ashley or his staff's business (it's required for registration).

Besides, the Herald-Sun is a shadow of its former self, having been gutted by Paxton Media, one of the worst media companies in america. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Her...th_Carolina%29
    While HS coverage may not be as in depth as it was back in the day, they still do a fairly good job IMO. Dascenzo has been around a long time and Strickland works the beat hard. I wish they were as good as they use to be a few years back when they had more pages and writers. I can tell you that they certainly haven't ignored a Duke game this season and are probably less pro Carolina than they have ever been.