Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost 3-6 (Spoilers!)

I think I enjoyed this one more than any other this season. Ben makes me laugh. "This rabbit didn't have a number on it, did it?" and "See you guys at dinner."

Who thinks the man on the boat is Michael?

We also will know who the 6 are by next week.

I enjoyed this one because the focus was on the characters and not the other worldliness of the island. Personally, I am a little overwhelmed by episodes like last week's, though I think Desmond is probably my favorite character.

I think Michael is the obvious choice, particularly given the teaser from the preview. It is obviously somebody that John knows, which would seemingly limit the choices. Sayid and Desmond are both on the boat, but neither of them seems likely. It could also be Charlie back from the dead, but that makes little sense.

The only question re: Michael is what would he have to gain by doing this?

Re: Michael's motivations...

The leverage on Michael is always Walt. And leverage is how Ben operates. We know Walt is connected to the Island. I suspect either Walt never left, or Walt needs to get back to the island. And Michael agrees to work for Ben in order to achieve some goal necessitated by Walt.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    First time I've really felt for Juliette since the ep with her sister. Usually I just want someone-- anyone-- to wipe the 24-7 smirk off her face.

Can't think of any reason that Ben would send HER to do The Tempest dirty work rather than Harper, as Harper presumably would have just followed orders. Obviously, with Ben, you have to assume that what happened is exactly what he wanted to happen, but I can't think of any motivation for turning Jack's crew harder against Ben AND allying them with the Freighters, but that seems to be the logical outcome.

Also, for someone so diabolically brilliant about human nature, Ben sure messed everything up with Juliette.

The most chilling thing to me about this episode was the transformation of Ben from "dude with an innocent crush" into something very close to psychotic in that last scene with Juliet. They did an excellent job of leading us on - even Michael Emerson's walk was different in that scene with the so-called dinner party and what guy hasn't been in the nervous position of preparing for the big date with the big crush? Yeah, he's all sweet and goofy until he snaps and kills off your adulterous lover!

What if the "poison gas" IS the smoke monster, only in much larger quantities? I figured the shrink character (forgot her name) was the embodiment of the monster in that she vanished so quickly, the only problem there is how she was surprised from behind by Jack. They did say Ben released the gas once...and maybe smokey doesn't want them to make the rest of it's body or whatever is in those containers inert.

I don't actually think this is the case, would just make for interesting plot.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I always enjoy the very beginning of the episodes where we are trying to figure out, "now is this a flash forward, flash back or current." This episode was no exception. They really wanted to make you think it was a flash forward with all her talk about feeling famous, but then, surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    First time I've really felt for Juliette since the ep with her sister. Usually I just want someone-- anyone-- to wipe the 24-7 smirk off her face.

Can't think of any reason that Ben would send HER to do The Tempest dirty work rather than Harper, as Harper presumably would have just followed orders. Obviously, with Ben, you have to assume that what happened is exactly what he wanted to happen, but I can't think of any motivation for turning Jack's crew harder against Ben AND allying them with the Freighters, but that seems to be the logical outcome.

Also, for someone so diabolically brilliant about human nature, Ben sure messed everything up with Juliette.
    I thought that Harper was an image created by the island/smoke. Juliette heard the noise the smoke makes before Harper appeared; Harper disappeared suddenly; the disappearance was accompanied by the black smoke running away.

I'm also surprised that Juliette doesn't want to beat down the red-haired women (drawing a blank on the name) after the woman tried to kill her. That was a no-holds-barred fight while Dan was messing around with the computer, and Juliette was lucky to live through it. Then all of a sudden Juliette wins the fight and everything is good? This show isn't all that good at having people keep grudges. I'm still surprised at the fact that Claire was made to forgive Charlie so quickly back in season 3.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I thought that Harper was an image created by the island/smoke. Juliette heard the noise the smoke makes before Harper appeared; Harper disappeared suddenly; the disappearance was accompanied by the black smoke running away.
    Filed under "duh." As in , "duh, how could I miss this?"

It all makes much more sense now.

I'm also surprised that Juliette doesn't want to beat down the red-haired women (drawing a blank on the name) after the woman tried to kill her. That was a no-holds-barred fight while Dan was messing around with the computer, and Juliette was lucky to live through it. Then all of a sudden Juliette wins the fight and everything is good? This show isn't all that good at having people keep grudges. I'm still surprised at the fact that Claire was made to forgive Charlie so quickly back in season 3.
    This is one the very few flaws of Lost. I agree with both of your examples.

I was wondering last night why doesn't one of the Losties knock off Ben.

Lord knows he's got it coming, and they occasionally have him under their thumb. He mocks them when they're upset. And he always seems to manipulate them into making their lot worse. Who cares what his motivations are-- into the void with him! Study the island and try to figure it out after he's gone. Better that then have him continually outmaneuvering you.

I just remembered the episode where they used the gas to kill the Dharma people, I retract my theory on the "gas" being smokey.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

What's new?

Something that determines a good episode of me is, what do I know now that I didn't know before this show?

1. Locke's an idiot and is being easily manipulated by Ben - that's nothing new.
    2. There's a remote place on the island which has a computer that counts down towards something. The two newbies say it's something about gasing the island. But if it were, wouldn't Ben have died in the gas attack as well (he didn't have a gas mask, right)?
    3. Faraday and the red head somehow knew about the remote gas place. But we don't know why they went there. If Faraday was trying to make the gas inert, what was the alarm all about, what was going to happen?
    4. Ben thinks he owns Juliette, and sent the guy she was sleeping with to be a spy. But Ben didn't kill the guy, we all saw him die, right?
    5. The story is a bit different than it was back when the Losties were first captured, and Juliette was one of the leaders. And who was the judge that decided if people lived or died, what was that all about?

What I guess I'm saying is that this episode didn't really go anywhere. Ben is loose, and now Jack knows Juliette loves him (?), so they had a kiss. What was the point? What has changed? Probably nothing, it was a lost Lost.

I thought that was the others' whisper sound. Hmm... there is an others whisper sound, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    Faraday and the red head somehow knew about the remote gas place. But we don't know why they went there. If Faraday was trying to make the gas inert, what was the alarm all about, what was going to happen?

What I guess I'm saying is that this episode didn't really go anywhere. Ben is loose, and now Jack knows Juliette loves him (?), so they had a kiss. What was the point?
    More confusion. If their primary island goal was to make the island safe, why didn't thy just ask for help from Jack & Co? It's akin to the question of why Ben didn't just ask Jack for spinal surgery.

Do we really think that was their first kiss? Maybe I have been jaded by my years in New York, but as was memorably said by Ana Lucia, ~ "you're hot, she's hot, why aren't you getting it on?"

I have taken this week's episode as filling in the blanks on the characters. There still is much more to be learned about each of them. The story line continued only minimally, raising more questions than were answered. That's good. It keeps the interest up, and the story moving.

On your issue with the read head and the nerd not seeking help from Jack and friends, perhaps they did not want to alert them to the existence of the chemical disbursing site. They definitely were in a hurry to get there, so I interpret that as wanting to stop something rather than starting something. The gas masks were just a red herring, and Juliet had to know of the site's existence, and purpose. We are still guessing at it's purpose, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    They definitely were in a hurry to get there, so I interpret that as wanting to stop something rather than starting something.
    Yeah--they seemed in a big hurry all of sudden. If I were on an island that was about to release a death gas that was somehow concentrated enough to kill every person on the island (and not, apparently, kill animals), I'd have headed straight to the station to give myself a bit of lead time. I might also have been hesitant to sign up for the project in the first place, making me think that they somehow got instructions while on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I might also have been hesitant to sign up for the project in the first place, making me think that they somehow got instructions while on the beach.
    Yeah, that would explain the rush. They had wandered away while jack was somewhere with Juliet, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I have taken this week's episode as filling in the blanks on the characters. There still is much more to be learned about each of them. The story line continued only minimally, raising more questions than were answered. That's good. It keeps the interest up, and the story moving.

On your issue with the read head and the nerd not seeking help from Jack and friends, perhaps they did not want to alert them to the existence of the chemical disbursing site. They definitely were in a hurry to get there, so I interpret that as wanting to stop something rather than starting something. The gas masks were just a red herring, and Juliet had to know of the site's existence, and purpose. We are still guessing at it's purpose, aren't we?
    My perception is that the gas was not imminently going to be released-- until Faraday began the process of trying to make it inert (or whatever he was doing to the system-- he claimed it was to make it inert); once he began that process, the system sensed an intrusion and began a defensive process of releasing the gas (or something to that effect was claimed in the audio and written warnings on the computer screen-- the warnings stated that the intrusion was unauthorized), at which point Faraday was in a "no-going back" position-- he had to finish making the gas inert, or it would be released and kill them.

I think they had the gas masks as a measure to allow them to continue to try to de-activate the system, even if/after the gas may have been released-- but once Juliet came in without one (and knocked theirs off), Faraday was compelled to get the job done before anything was released. Faraday's intrusion was like tampering with a landmine or pulling the pin on a grenade-- you have to do something once you start, or you're in big trouble.

Folks, none of you are talking about the most important line in the episode:

Doc Harper says to Juliet in hinting at Ben's crush on Juliet: "You certainly look a lot like her."

Who is Harper tlaking about here? Probably Annie, the girl Ben befriended in his early Dharma days as a child. But, we have not seen Annie since Ben was about 12-years-old. It is extremely doubtful that she is still around today as Ben would not be desperate for Juliet or someone who looks like Annie if the real Annie was available. So, we can be fairly confident that Annie is not alive on the Island right now.

However, it is quite important to note that Doc Harper knows what Annie looks like -- knows well enough to be able to compare Juliet to her. If that is the case, then Annie has been on the island fairly recently -- recently enough so that Doc Harper knows her. It is safe to assume that this means Annie has been around post-purge, when Ben helped kill all the other Dharma folks.

We are going to hear more, a lot more, about Annie in the future, I am sure of this. Her relationship with Ben will likely provide us with an understanding of a lot of his motivations and actions. Perhaps she is at the root of his obsession with pregnancy (maybe she died having his baby and that is why he stole Alex from Danielle?). We do not have enough to go on, but that one line -- comparing Juliet to Annie -- is a big deal in my mind. When we look back on the tapestry of Lost in a couple years, I suspect that the most significant thing to come out of this episode will be the line that told us that The Others know what Annie looks like.

--Jason "we all know who Ben's 'man on the boat' is now too, right?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Folks, none of you are talking about the most important line in the episode:

Doc Harper says to Juliet in hinting at Ben's crush on Juliet: "You certainly look a lot like her."
    Funny, I thought the most important line was "It's stressful being an Other, Jack."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Who is Harper tlaking about here? Probably Annie, the girl Ben befriended in his early Dharma days as a child. But, we have not seen Annie since Ben was about 12-years-old. It is extremely doubtful that she is still around today as Ben would not be desperate for Juliet or someone who looks like Annie if the real Annie was available. So, we can be fairly confident that Annie is not alive on the Island right now.

However, it is quite important to note that Doc Harper knows what Annie looks like -- knows well enough to be able to compare Juliet to her. If that is the case, then Annie has been on the island fairly recently -- recently enough so that Doc Harper knows her. It is safe to assume that this means Annie has been around post-purge, when Ben helped kill all the other Dharma folks.

We are going to hear more, a lot more, about Annie in the future, I am sure of this. Her relationship with Ben will likely provide us with an understanding of a lot of his motivations and actions. Perhaps she is at the root of his obsession with pregnancy (maybe she died having his baby and that is why he stole Alex from Danielle?). We do not have enough to go on, but that one line -- comparing Juliet to Annie -- is a big deal in my mind. When we look back on the tapestry of Lost in a couple years, I suspect that the most significant thing to come out of this episode will be the line that told us that The Others know what Annie looks like.

--Jason "we all know who Ben's 'man on the boat' is now too, right?" Evans
    I thought that they meant Annie, but that Ben had killed Annie in the purge. Your idea makes the most sense, though. That relationship will make a lot of sense. I wonder what Annie's last name is - maybe Widmore? That would be an interesting connection. I am not sure how it would work, but I wouldn't be shocked if Annie was Penny's lost sister or cousin.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I thought that they meant Annie, but that Ben had killed Annie in the purge. Your idea makes the most sense, though. That relationship will make a lot of sense. I wonder what Annie's last name is - maybe Widmore? That would be an interesting connection. I am not sure how it would work, but I wouldn't be shocked if Annie was Penny's lost sister or cousin.
    Yeah, I am somewhat resigned to Annie being a Widmore or Hanso or something silly like that. Heck, maybe she is Jack's long-lost sister... No, wait, that can't be right because Claire is Jack's long-lost sister. Which means Kate is caring for Jack's nephew... though Jack does not know it.

The relationship coincidences get to be a little tough to take at some point.

Here's a fun one-- what if Annie is Penny's mother? We have never met Mrs. Widmore and Ben is probably old enough to be Desmond's father

--Jason "not that Ben's age matters... after all, time is a fluid thing on The Island" Evans