Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paulus Leading the ACC in a/to

For all of you doubters, and especially all you fans, check out this statistic. Paulus is running away with first place in assist/turnover ratio in the ACC this season.

## Player-Team........Cl..G....Asst...Avg....T urn....Avg....Ratio
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    1.Greg Paulus-DU.......JR 15------49-----3.3------20-----1.3------2.45
    2.Quentin Thomas-NC.....SR 15-----62-----4.1------33-----2.2------1.88
    3.Cliff Hammonds-CU.....SR 14-----54-----3.9------29-----2.1------1.86
    4.Ishmael Smith-WF.......SO 15-----73-----4.9-----46-----3.1------1.59
    5.Sean Singletary-VA......SR 15-----75-----5.0-----48-----3.2------1.56
    6.Hank Thorns-VT.......FR 15------57-----3.8-----37-----2.5------1.54
    7.Tyrese Rice-BC........JR 15------76-----5.1-----50-----3.3------1.52
    8.Greivis Vasquez-MD....SO 15-----111-----7.4-----74-----4.9------1.50
    8.Eric Hayes-MD........SO 13------51-----3.9-----34-----2.6------1.50
    10.Javier Gonzalez-ST.....FR 15------49-----3.3-----33-----2.2------1.48

-Minimum 3.0 assists/ game

What About Ty Lawson?

According to the ACC website here's Lawson's line:

128 assists, 50 turnovers for a 2.56 ratio

Question Yeah, but...

His ratio is excellent, but the number of assists barely qualifies him for being listed (3.3 vs. 3.0 per ACC game).

Given his other contributions -- esp. 3-pt. shooting -- he is a valuable player for the team.

sagegrouse

Ty Lawson-ACC stats

In ACC games:

10 GP, 50 A; 14 TO for a 3.6 ratio

Quote Originally Posted by stals View Post
    According to the ACC website here's Lawson's line:

128 assists, 50 turnovers for a 2.56 ratio
    As you can see from the chart figures for "games played" these are ACC season statistics. Paulus is 3rd if you toss in the early games in November and December!

I Beg to Differ

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    His ratio is excellent, but the number of assists barely qualifies him for being listed (3.3 vs. 3.0 per ACC game).

Given his other contributions -- esp. 3-pt. shooting -- he is a valuable player for the team.

sagegrouse
    Sorry, but Lawson's conference average is 5 A per game, more than Greg's. I'm not trying to be Lawson's PR guy here, but stats are stats.

Sorry, but Lawson's conference average is 5 A per game, more than Greg's. I'm not trying to be Lawson's PR guy here, but stats are stats.
    way to focus on the positives everyone...

Quick question- is it possible to remove a thread you have started after 15 minutes have passed. I was hoping to draw attention to Paulus' great accomplishments this season with this post and did not expect so many people start tearing apart the ACC statistics I posted and focus on Ty Lawson's greatness since this is a "fan site". So is it possible to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Given that you quoted sagegrouse's post above, I'm not sure what you beg to differ with (sagegrouse was talking about Paulus, not Lawson). That Greg is a valuable player for the team? Of course he is - he's a point guard who rarely turns the ball over, and has a deadly outside shot, not to mention the cojones to take that shot when it's needed. And regardless of whether Lawson is on the list or not, Paulus has the fewest turnovers per game of any ACC point guard.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Way to go Greg!

I think that regardless of what the stats show Greg brings a bunch to the table. I think that his biggest contributaion is being our floor general and emotional leader on the court, and that doesn't show up on the stat line. All of that being said, I especially like it when the stats show that he is in fact a very valuable member of the team.

Great for Greg Paulus and for Duke; equally significant is the IMPROVEMENT since last season.

Interpreting the numbers

I would expect Greg’s assist numbers to be lower relative to other point guards based on the make up of our team, i.e. the fact that we don’t have a true post scorer for the PG to feed the ball to and the fact that many times all 5 of the players on the floor can handle the ball well and set up scoring opportunities for themselves or their teammates.

Greg Paulus is also close to the lead in Effective Field Goal percentage, which is the same as normal FG% but with an added bonus for the 3 point shot (since it is, after all, worth more): (FGM+0.5*3ptFGM)/FGA

His 57.7% is third in the league behind JJ Hickson and Courtney Fells. Check it out:

http://kenpom.com/leaders.php?c=eFG&y=2008&f=ACC

I agree, we have no big man to feed, and also as I mentioned in another thread, we run almost a "position-less" system where anyone can get assists and kickouts, so Greg's assist numbers are not even as high as G's or Nelson's sometimes, and that's ok.

I think the biggest thing Greg brings to the table is not A/T ratio but leadership. He's one tough kid, and it doesn't matter if they're taunting him, or giving him a bloody cut on the face, he fights through it all, and the team follows. I especially love how he sets the tone at hostile road games. He took the first shot in the Carolina game, when that place was fever-pitch - and made it. He took the first shot here too, in the UVA game - and made it. It's things like that, and not necessarily A/T stats, that makes me a fan of Greg.

I am sorry that there is so little love for GP on this board. He is our horse in this race, and we need to ride him. For whatever reason, probably injury, Nolan Smith has not come up to expectations. Jon Scheyer is our next best PG, and I am happy to see him get some experience in case GP gets hurt.
    GP's improvement from last year, in every aspect of the game, is wonderful. I am very happy to have him on our team.

Official ACC stats, so we can at least agree on what we're arguing about.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confldrs.html

Actually, since we are talking ACC only stats, I think this link provides what we are talking about. I assume Lawson is not listed because he played in less than 75% of UNC's ACC games

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confonly.html
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Check out the ACC stats on Markie!

17.5 ppg in conference games, leading the conference in FG%.
    i like that kind of senioritis!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I am sorry that there is so little love for GP on this board. He is our horse in this race, and we need to ride him. For whatever reason, probably injury, Nolan Smith has not come up to expectations. Jon Scheyer is our next best PG, and I am happy to see him get some experience in case GP gets hurt.
    GP's improvement from last year, in every aspect of the game, is wonderful. I am very happy to have him on our team.

'Bout time somebody stepped and pointed this out. Greg is the heart of this team, he's the leader. He understands what K wants, even if the execution doesn't always run to completion. K trusts Greg; he's K's guy.

We sat behind the bench last night at uva; it was a revelation to see what goes on in that huddle. All team eyes on K and then that team focus goes to Greg when the team is on the floor. Greg can do and is doing the job.

Seeing those young men up close puts everything in perspective. They're a complex mix of talent and abilities and maturities under great pressure to perform as a single, seamless unit. And they are fearsome to behold when the screws tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Quick question- is it possible to remove a thread you have started after 15 minutes have passed. I was hoping to draw attention to Paulus' great accomplishments this season with this post and did not expect so many people start tearing apart the ACC statistics I posted and focus on Ty Lawson's greatness since this is a "fan site". So is it possible to do this?
    No. If you post something and it turns out you are wrong then you have to suffer through being corrected. You said Greg was leading the ACC in A/TO ratio. As Jim showed us, you are wrong. In fact he's not even 2nd, he's 3rd (which, frankly, is awesome...but not the point).

While your enthusiasm for Greg is appreciated by all, integrity of information is also appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    No. If you post something and it turns out you are wrong then you have to suffer through being corrected. You said Greg was leading the ACC in A/TO ratio. As Jim showed us, you are wrong. In fact he's not even 2nd, he's 3rd (which, frankly, is awesome...but not the point).

While your enthusiasm for Greg is appreciated by all, integrity of information is also appreciated.
    Sorry to make you look the fool here Silky, but I actually posted completely accurate information. The ACC statistic for A/TO ratio requires a minimum of 3.0 assists/ game (as i specified). Lawson does not meet this requirement. My information came straight from the ACC.com statistics. In the conference this season Greg Paulus is the assist/turnover ratio leader.

In case you feel like checking up on the "integrity" of this information-

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confonly.html

No harm, no foul. We are all rooting for Paulus to drop 20+ against Carolina anyways. GTHC!!!