Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Games in Cameron

A few weeks ago my father and I were talking about some of our favorite games in Cameron. I can't remember the exact year (98-99?), but I think the opponent was Michigan when they came in and were dancing on the "D" in center court. Duke opened a serious can on them. Does anyone else remember this game? Where can I find a game recap?

What's your favorite game in Cameron?

P.S. 9F9F9F

Forgotten Bitter Rival?

Favorite Indoor Stadium Game - I think it was February 1, 1971. A semester break victory against South Carolina, avenging an earlier defeat in Columbia to the hated Gamecocks and their alpaca-clad fans. Denton, Katherman, Sauders, DiVenzio, Yarbrough (sp?), Shaw, Melchionni, Dawson, and O'Connor. USC had a few decent players, too.

Senior Day - 1988.

Beginning of second half. Three straight three pointers by Snyder, Strickland and then Snyder again (I think - might have been one in there by Koubek) and I thought the roof was going to blow off. It was the loudest I ever heard Cameron.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

All in the family

I've enjoyed and loved so many games in Cameron that it's difficult to pick just one favorite.

One game which is a special memory for me was the UCLA game played on December 10, 1965. ... the first of a two night series. I was seated at one end under the goal. The game was a big deal and had received lots of publicity. (The next night was in Greensboro where we won again.) At one point during the game, I happened to look down the court to the other end .... and there was my dad seated among the students. He had a way of getting into football and basketball games without tickets (professional privilege of a school principal????). I had no idea he'd driven from Winston-Salem! What a surprise!

Don't know my favorite, but I can tell you my least favorite: December 2, 1995 -- Duke loses to Illinois 65-75, snapping a 95-game non-conference winning streak in Cameron... and I had an obstructed view seat against the back wall of Section 15 or 16.

1988 Game

That was my favorite as well. It was the day after Spring Break had started. Back then we Crazies weren't nuts like the people are now - we camped out 2-3 days tops. The weather was perfect (sunny and in the 70's or so).

At the half, I think it was tied, or close to it.

Then came the amazing run. Snyder did hit two threes. Strickland hit another. Then Brickey scored on a layup, and as Carolina passed the ball in, he stole it, layed it up and go fouled. It was a 13-2 run (he made the free throw later) in the span of about 2 1/2 minutes and Dean Smith did what he never did - call a time out early in the half (before the TV timeout).

As you said - it was the loudest I have ever heard Cameron. The band played Devil with a Blue Dress during the timeout, and you couldn't hear them. At all. The cheerleaders were all off because they couldn't hear them and finally they just waved their arms and jumped around.

Awesome!

Loved the UNC game in 1998 when we came back from 17 down with 10 minutes to go to win...

Mine are the only two games I've attended at Cameron. Clemson a few years ago and Cornell this year - both wins.

Duke/UNC Cameron 1992

I'd have to say my favorite game was my first Duke/UNC game at Cameron (1992). The backstory was that we had lost a few weeks earlier in CH, and was the game where Eric Montross left the game w/blood streaming down his face. It was also our first loss that year.

Anyway, one of the reasons that this was so memorable to me (besides being on hallowed ground for a Duke/UNC game) was that I was just a few seats away from Stephen King. He had seen the earlier game in CH on TV and wanted to come b/c (paraphrase) I like games that produce blood (or something like that). He was also a closet Duke fan. It was so loud, unlike any other game that I had the privilege of attending, that my ears were ringing for another 30 minutes afterward.

We won by 15, I think, and went on to run the season/tourney for our back/back championship.

Ahhh... good times!

F-R-E-D L-I-N-D - Say no more.

Duke - UNC, March 2005.

This was UNC's championship team w/ Felton, McCants, and May vs. Ewing, Redick, Shelden and company.

With Duke up by 1, UNC had the ball coming out of a TO with 15 or so seconds left. Felton was looking for McCants but Redick's denial forced him to look to David Noel, who dribbled the ball out of bounds. The whole gym erupted and IIRC most of the fans stuck around a good bit after the game, still going nuts. I lost my voice by halftime of that game.

Favorite Game

Duke(Laettner) and LSU (Shaq) 1991

I have been attending games in Cameron since 1964 and I have never heard it as loud as it was throughout that game. It is still my favorite.

(I also saw the Duke-UCLA game in 1965. It was my first year at Duke and my second game in Cameron. It was an amazing experience. But we were not quite yet the "Crazies."
    We did yell "Who's that?" when the UCLA players were introduced and were so loud behind UCLA's bench that Wooden took his players out onto the court during timeouts... prompting him to question our "hospitality." I think he also made a remark that it would be different at a neutral sight the next night. He was correct, Duke beat them by only 16 in Cameron and 19 in Charlotte. Obviously the "neutral court" made a difference.
    The second game was in Charlotte. At least that's where I remember attending it. If that is not correct, don't tell me.)

Three stand out...

1. Senior day 1998, Duke comes back from 17 down in 2nd half, beats UNC w/Jamison, Wojo hugs K. Unbelievably loud. Maybe people who live in Durham and have attended games this decade have heard louder, but I can't imagine Cameron any louder than during the 2nd half of this game!
    2. Senior day 1988 (my senior year), 2nd of Duke "triple crown" wins over UNC.
    3. My first game in Cameron, 84-85 season, vs. U. of Washington, David Henderson monster jam.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Duke(Laettner) and LSU (Shaq) 1991

I have been attending games in Cameron since 1964 and I have never heard it as loud as it was throughout that game. It is still my favorite.

(I also saw the Duke-UCLA game in 1965. It was my first year at Duke and my second game in Cameron. It was an amazing experience. But we were not quite yet the "Crazies."
    We did yell "Who's that?" when the UCLA players were introduced and were so loud behind UCLA's bench that Wooden took his players out onto the court during timeouts... prompting him to question our "hospitality." I think he also made a remark that it would be different at a neutral sight the next night. He was correct, Duke beat them by only 16 in Cameron and 19 in Charlotte. Obviously the "neutral court" made a difference.
    The second game was in Charlotte. At least that's where I remember attending it. If that is not correct, don't tell me.)
    I loved the "Overated!" chants tossed at Shaq that game.

Who's he?

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    I was a student then and attended every game. What the students yelled following each introduction of the visiting player was, "Who's he?" not "Who's that?" One of the administrators eventually told us to stop, that such a way of addressing visitors was not the Duke way.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

February 28, 1981: Duke 66, UNC 65 (OT)

Banks' last home game. I was so stressed out I had to go out in the hallway as the final seconds dwindled down, and listened to the crowd reactions. I came back and watched through the breezeway as Banks nailed his jumper over the outstretched arm of Sam Perkins. Too much to handle for a 11 year old kid, my poor heart!

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Duke - UNC, March 2005.

This was UNC's championship team w/ Felton, McCants, and May vs. Ewing, Redick, Shelden and company.

With Duke up by 1, UNC had the ball coming out of a TO with 15 or so seconds left. Felton was looking for McCants but Redick's denial forced him to look to David Noel, who dribbled the ball out of bounds. The whole gym erupted and IIRC most of the fans stuck around a good bit after the game, still going nuts. I lost my voice by halftime of that game.
    February 9th. Duke hosted the first of the two games in 2005.

I know because after 5 weeks I was good and ready to be done with tenting on the 10th.

Much better to be there

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Banks' last home game. I was so stressed out I had to go out in the hallway as the final seconds dwindled down, and listened to the crowd reactions. I came back and watched through the breezeway as Banks nailed his jumper over the outstretched arm of Sam Perkins. Too much to handle for a 11 year old kid, my poor heart!
    Perhaps the most exciting game I have ever seen in person. The first of the great last second out of bound plays by K. They quickly get the ball to half court and call timeout and then the two seniors, Dennard and Banks- on senior day- one makes the pass and one makes the shot- just to get to overtime- where Duke ends up winning. A great win and the first for K against Ol' Deano. In many ways that game bought K two years and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    Loved the UNC game in 1998 when we came back from 17 down with 10 minutes to go to win...
    That one's definitely my favorite, and it isn't even close. Carolina comes in #3, Duke at #1. We had something like 1 win against the Heels in the previous 8 meetings, and they'd beaten us by like 25 in Chapel Hill a month earlier. Duke is down double digits at the half, and Antawn Jamison is tearing us apart (I want to say he didn't miss a shot in the 1st). Elton Brand, out since December with a broken foot, comes in to play a few minutes in the first, but Duke is still clearly outmatched. With 10 minutes left and Duke down by 17, Brand takes over, making his trademark 5-8 foot jumpers over two and three Carolina defenders. He completely dominates Jamison for the last 10 minutes, and with a lot of help from Ro, Duke roars back.

Final minute of the game, Duke is up by 2. First Brendan Haywood, then Ed Cota go to the line with a chance to tie the game. It was the loudest I've heard Cameron, loud to the point where standing there screaming my head off was physically painful. Cota steps to the line... clank, clank. Wojo sprints across the court to a bear hug from Coach K, who just won his 500th game. Burn baby, burn.

My favorite is the 12/05 Dock Beats the Clock win against VT. This was also my first ACC game as a Duke student.