Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Duke MBB v UNC-Chapel Hill pre-game/in-game thread

It's the first time since 1991 that both teams enter the game with identical conference records. Hansbrough will get his, but if Duke can limit him to 20 points and can defend the 3 reasonably well, Duke will win. In CH, the rim had a lid on it for Ellington; one has to imagine that may not happen again. As long as we show grit 1998-style, Duke will send the Baby Blues crying.

Hope that history repeats itself

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    It's the first time since 1991 that both teams enter the game with identical conference records. Hansbrough will get his, but if Duke can limit him to 20 points and can defend the 3 reasonably well, Duke will win. In CH, the rim had a lid on it for Ellington; one has to imagine that may not happen again. As long as we show grit 1998-style, Duke will send the Baby Blues crying.
    Let us not forget that Duke beat UNC twice in 1991 to win the ACC outright AND won the NC when they were not expected to do so. Of course UNC killed Duke in the ACC tourney leading to the lore that Duke has to lose to UNC once to win the NC. Let's hope history repeats itself.

I just hope Markie's Senior Night isn't ruined like JJ, and Shelden's was. Especially at the hands of Tyler Hansbro and UNC. I like our chances though, and expect Nelson comes out heck bent on making sure he doesn't feel the pain the JJ and Shelden felt in 06.

tywon get yo cheese up lawson already started the trash talkin by stating that he wants to "ruin our senior night"....gthcgthes

1998!!

Quote Originally Posted by ne1btunc View Post
    tywon get yo cheese up lawson already started the trash talkin by stating that he wants to "ruin our senior night"....gthcgthes
    I keep very few of my ticket stubs from games (I've been going for 23 years... hard to store all of them), but I do keep those from games I thought showed exceptional courage where players dig deep to find every ounce of strength and effort to win what seems to be a game in which they had no chance.

My February 28, 1998 ticket for the Duke-Carolina game at Cameron is one I treasure. I will never forget sitting in the stands at the half, just totally bummed by our first half play. We were down 17 in our own HOUSE, and Carolina looked as if they were going to romp in the second half. For one brief moment, I considered leaving... I wasn't sure I could take it. Remember, those of us from that era had just experienced the 1995-1996 seasons... we had some good freshmen, but this was the last game Wojo, Trajan, and Roshown would play at Cameron. And Elton had had a pretty week first half... just back from (surprise) a broken metatarsal.

My seat allows me to look into the eyes of the players as they run out on the court at the beginning of the game and after halftime. I will never forget Wojo's eyes that day... His eyes said, "We are going to win!" With Brand getting 16 second half points, and McLeod having 25 for the game, the offense was there. But it was the defense driven by Wojo (who slapped the floor so hard a couple of times that I thought he would hurt himself) that made the huge difference. You can't just scoring without stopping the other team from doing the same.

What a remarkable night to be in Cameron and what a wonderful time for Coach K to get his 500th career win. Now, 301 wins later, I'm getting ready for Saturday night's battle. I hope the players know about the 1998 game. Carolina had better talent, but we had better heart. And it was our heart as a team that won that game.

Go to hell, Carolina

GO DEVILS!
    DukeDevilDeb

I saw that. See the end of the following article.
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=2&c=734951

Definite locker room material for Duke. I also wonder why a player would confess to his weakness on the court "when they go to my left...etc." Misinformation?

I liked the way the team started playing in the virginia game like they did earlier in the season. Hopefully we can carry that into the Carolina game.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

7. Lawson Quote

You're exactly right. Here's the quote from Scout.com - Carolina Insider:

But even with a left hip pointer delaying his plans for a seamless transition back into the starting lineup for Saturday’s pivotal game at Duke, Lawson is determined to provide the spark that was missing in the Tar Heels’ loss to the arch rivals last month.

“It’s at their place and it’s their Senior Night, and I want to ruin that,” Lawson said.

8. My February 28, 1998 ticket for the Duke-Carolina game at Cameron is one I treasure.
    I recall this being the most intense Duke game ever, IMO. Duke slammed by UNC in CH and it was happening again in Durham. After halftime, Coack K was having none of that. He came out of the locker room wearing a polo shirt as opposed to his button-up shirt and coat! That is the only game I can recall that ever happening. And the look on McLeod's face was awesome! He was a man possessed during the 2nd half.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-06-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Definite locker room material for Duke. I also wonder why a player would confess to his weakness on the court "when they go to my left...etc." Misinformation?
    This is not misinformation - this is the truth, and everybody knows it. It doesn't mean teams were able to stop him going right (pre-injury anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    This is not misinformation - this is the truth, and everybody knows it. It doesn't mean teams were able to stop him going right (pre-injury anyway).
    True, I guess it would be common knowledge. Do you think it's possible that Carolina, expecting people to drive on his left, have practiced having someone there to be ready to pick up the charge?
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

So Ty Lawson is now the Derek Zoolander of the ACC? (He can't turn left.)

(Go ahead, Tent 1 -- feel free to use 'Blue Steel'.)

3 Words

Let's get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood112883 View Post
    I just hope Markie's Senior Night isn't ruined like JJ, and Shelden's was. Especially at the hands of Tyler Hansbro and UNC. I like our chances though, and expect Nelson comes out heck bent on making sure he doesn't feel the pain the JJ and Shelden felt in 06.
    That was the last game at Cameron of my college career and it was the worst. Only Carolina game we lost at home in my 4 years.

That was the day I knew Hansbrough was for real. He gave Shelden all he could handle and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    My February 28, 1998 ticket for the Duke-Carolina game at Cameron is one I treasure.

I recall this being the most intense Duke game ever, IMO. Duke slammed by UNC in CH and it was happening again in Durham. After halftime, Coack K was having none of that. He came out of the locker room wearing a polo shirt as opposed to his button-up shirt and coat! That is the only game I can recall that ever happening. And the look on McLeod's face was awesome! He was a man possessed during the 2nd half.
    The official story on Coach K’s wardrobe change was that it was so warm in Cameron, the game was actually an afternoon tip on an unseasonably warm early spring day, that he had sweat through his dress shirt.

The look of intensity in the teams’ eyes may have been a transfer of passion from their leader. Coach K got a little caught up in his halftime speech and in the process tried to loosen his tie and collar, he was so caught up in the speech that he not only loosened the collar but lost the top three buttons of his dress shirt.

That afternoon was also memorable for the administration’s attempt to curb the bonfire tradition with a foam party on Clocktower Quad. Although foam parties were all the rage at the time, they were still new and apparently the art of foam making had not been perfected. Instead of a foam filled quad, we ended up with a few big mud puddles in front of the foam blowers which led to a big mud pit. Never the less it was a great Saturday afternoon capped off by a few benches being burned later in the evening.
    GTHC!

People - how did this thread fall off the front page - game time is less than 36 hours away!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Ahh, memories

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    The official story on Coach K’s wardrobe change was that it was so warm in Cameron, the game was actually an afternoon tip on an unseasonably warm early spring day, that he had sweat through his dress shirt.

The look of intensity in the teams’ eyes may have been a transfer of passion from their leader. Coach K got a little caught up in his halftime speech and in the process tried to loosen his tie and collar, he was so caught up in the speech that he not only loosened the collar but lost the top three buttons of his dress shirt.

That afternoon was also memorable for the administration’s attempt to curb the bonfire tradition with a foam party on Clocktower Quad. Although foam parties were all the rage at the time, they were still new and apparently the art of foam making had not been perfected. Instead of a foam filled quad, we ended up with a few big mud puddles in front of the foam blowers which led to a big mud pit. Never the less it was a great Saturday afternoon capped off by a few benches being burned later in the evening.
    GTHC!
    That was a great night! I also recall a bench burning protest later that week, either Wednesday or Thursday. It wasn't a raging party but rather a statement to the admins that we wanted to continue that tradition. I recall that night fondly, as it was the first and only time I ever got pepper sprayed!!

GTHC,

Gray

Has anybody heard of a single commentator choosing Duke over Carolina on saturday?

Last night I saw Steven Bardo and Fran Fraschilla both pick DUKE in a close game.

No commentator... but

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Has anybody heard of a single commentator choosing Duke over Carolina on saturday?
    on espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebo...ekendwatch0307)
    they say that, if we can hit our perimeter shots, we will likely win the game.

GTHC
    DukeDevilDeb