Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Second the above.

Life's too short for such agonizing.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Second the above.

Life's too short for such agonizing.
    I derailed the thread. It is my fault. I just read something Latta said (none of which was bad or anything) and wanted to comment on it.

When it comes to basketball it gets viewed by so many people through such a racial prism, I suppose I let loose on some things that were knocking around in my head regarding the attitude towards certain teams, coaches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    I derailed the thread. It is my fault. I just read something Latta said (none of which was bad or anything) and wanted to comment on it.

When it comes to basketball it gets viewed by so many people through such a racial prism, I suppose I let loose on some things that were knocking around in my head regarding the attitude towards certain teams, coaches, etc.
    No, no, you're entitled to your feelings and beliefs. It was just making me sad. After the loss of the poor girl at unc, it's just a long afternoon.
    Big ups to you spretster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    This thread is sort of...a) worthless b) disturbing for a number of reasons.

1) What does this REALLY have to do with Duke Basketball?

2) If some person said the converse, "Memphis is a black team..." they'd probably be stoned and put in a pillory.
    Yeah, is there some way this thread can get spiked, or at least renamed? I realize that an apparent declaration of racial allegience is probably less problematic than unchecked unsubtle sarcasm, but the moderators may want to step in here.

I derailed the thread. It is my fault.
    Maybe, I don't think so, but it was an honest answer to an interesting question in my opinion. I appreciate your candor and I agree that graduation statistics don't tell the whole story. You can paint Juan Dixon as a Maryland player with their bad rate or you can see him in the light he deserves. Which maybe reflects back on MD in a favorable way (oh, it hurt to write that).

I didnt mean it rudely..

Dude, you have nothing to apolgize for. I wasnt joking when I said I liked your earlier post. You had some good stuff. I was genuinely trying to get a better understanding. Sorry if I rambled a on a bit. I couldnt tell if you were a Duke fan or not quite frankly. I guess I missed your initial point.

I must be the one to apologize if you took my tone to be anything other than civil and my intent to less than genuine for having open honest discussion. I wasnt trying to pick a fight or make an enemy.

Its hard to have an honest discourse on race by well meaning people. Maybe this isnt the best forum for such things, and maybe I was off base a bit, but I could help but think you were looking for a similar conversation or you wouldnt have posted what you did.

That took guts I thought. I wasnt going to let an opportunity to expand my awareness pass me by like that.

maybe I should have said something like Duke is a white team when they play at home. (referring to jersey color)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    If you think Glory Road is "mostly true" then I have a bridge to sell you. It was a badly distorted account of a real basketball story, one that managed the warp the real meaning of Texas Western's historic victory.

You might want to check out this DBR article about the film:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=20571
    I still believe that Glory Road is mostly true, and a great movie. The major distortion (or lie, or what have you) is compressing 3-4 years into one year. Virtually every review makes this point. That doesn't bother me, it is not supposed to be a documentary, it is a movie. I think the makers captured the essence of the story.
    As stated in my original post, I remember clearly watching the final game on TV.
    The Buddy Holly Story was a good movie, but not historically accurate. Thats OK with me -- it captured the essence of Buddy Holly.

Oh Yeah Blame Latta6970

Oh yeah blame me!! I'm kidding. My initial question was addressed via private message very well by Down Under earlier today, and I completely understand about ones own self perspective. While it disappoints me to hear a black friend say "Duke is too white" like anyone he is allowed to have his own view. I don't agree with him anymore than I truly think UNC is a University FOR the people (i.e. the average Joe). But every school and fanbase has it's view of itself and how the rest of the world looks at it.

It kind of reminds me of the recent back and forth between Coach K and Roy toy. Coach K for the most part let Roy say what he wanted to say without addressing it. Perhaps he didn't care what Roy had to say or he let people think what they wanted to think. It took a media person listening to the initial interview and saying oops for the truth to come out. It seems Coach K has figured out no amount of campaining is going to make certain people like Duke and give the school, coaches and players their due. Most all of us have commented in the Duke Hatred Tsunami thread over the past months. But he truth is people are going to think what they want to think and little if anything will change a truly biased mind.

Again I do appologize to the readers and mods if my comments have taken this thread off it's initial focus.

Black Magic on 1944 "Secret Game"

Didn't see anyone else mention that the the upcoming ESPN series "Black Magic" (it's been promoted heavily during games the last couple of weeks) has a segment about the 1944 "Secret Game." The following is an excerpt from Newsweek's article in this week's issue (http://www.newsweek.com/id/120089)

On March 16 and 17, ESPN will air director Dan Klores's four-hour "Black Magic," which examines the rise of basketball at black colleges during the civil-rights era, a time when hardwood floors were the only level playing field around. Klores's film has great stories to tell, such as the secret 1944 scrimmage between white Duke University students and a team from the North Carolina College for Negroes, a game that could've been deadly if word got out. (NCCN won, 88-44.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post
    Didn't see anyone else mention that the the upcoming ESPN series "Black Magic" (it's been promoted heavily during games the last couple of weeks) has a segment about the 1944 "Secret Game." The following is an excerpt from Newsweek's article in this week's issue (http://www.newsweek.com/id/120089)
    See the Duke-NCCU secret game thread.