Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jumbo, I may be wrong but I think some of this is cumulative. You are only taking that one article into account, while I think Tent 1 and others are looking at the bigger picture. Many of us feel the media (not just SI) have taken too many shots at Duke just because we are Duke. That's a part of what the blog was responding too, they just used the SI as a good jumping off spot. Again, I may be wrong on that point but I do think you have to consider more than just that one article in this discussion. There's a much bigger picture that adds to the feeling of being dumped on.

Just my two cents.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    There were 14 photos. The were of the Crazies. Two were of Indiana fans. Two were of UNC fans. Two were of Memphis fans. I don't see much of a problem.
    And this one was funny, even though it was at our expense:

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Oh god. You guys have really done it now. I warned you all earlier in this thread. The boards are now completely in danger of having a Tent 1 blog entry written about them. It's over...
    So much hate. Everyone here is on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    And this one was funny, even though it was at our expense:
    Well, it's doubly funny because they were wrong.

I don't really understand the criticism of the student's post. The post was a bit sensitive, but it didn't strike me as over the top. Writing a snippy blog post may not be a necessary response to an article that connected your antics, however tenuously, with death threats and homophobic slurs, but it's certainly an *understandable* reaction.

I personally do not think SI is on the "Attack Duke" train, but even if they are....

WHO CARES?

Doesn't matter if they love us, hate us, or whatever. Worst case scenario would be apathy. As the adage goes, "Any press is good press."

Someone posted earlier something to the effect of, "If you're gonna dish it out, be strong enough to take it."

Word.

I personally thought the article was fine; and that nearly all the pictures were hilarious.

See the one on Bruce Pearl? "Bruce Pearl is half the man Pat Summit is?"

Shoot me down. Call me whatever. But you all know that's funny/clever!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EarlJam
    That poster was/is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomelyRBD! View Post
    I could make an impassioned defense of our tent here, but instead I will say: Dude. Jumbo. Calm down!!!

Like for real, it's just a blog entry.

yeesh, the Carolina game is on Saturday. It's going to be AWESOME
    I'm very calm. But if you want people to read your blog entry, you need to be able to handle the reaction.

I'm very calm. But if you want people to read your blog entry, you need to be able to handle the reaction.
    And now we turn to a segment of the show we call, "Duke arguments that couldn't happen in 1992."

Not sure of any of your real names, but flash back to the early nineties. You're walking the grounds of Duke University. Future Man walks up to each of you and says:

"Man, Jumbo and AwesomelyRBD! are having quite the Message Board discussion regarding Tent1's Blog on the SI Web article!"

With modern technology, we can really argue about everything in so many ways!

Remember when The Chronicle put out that hardcopy "report card" on Duke's players and Coach K went ballistic? The Internet and all its capabilities makes stuff like that look like Pong vs. Wii.

Sorry, I just find it all fascinating. Anyone else remember the Report Card debacle?

-EJ

I don't think it was humorous, and I don't think it represents the Crazies (or Duke) well at all.
    This is exactly the point. This is why I get pissed off whenever DBR puts some idiotic idea on the front page, like when it was suggested Duke students protest ESPN by turning their backs when the camera was pointed at them. DBR has the right and freedom to say whatever stupid thing it wants, but for better or worse the reality is that this website does represent Duke fans to some degree or another, and it'd be nice to see it take that as a responsibility to represent Duke fans well (I think mostly it does).

Same thing with tenters - whether it's good or bad tenters do represent the fan base somewhat. Like everyone else they have the freedom to say stupid things but it would be nice if they didn't act like your average ignorant fans who interpret any comment about Duke that isn't overtly positive as "hate."

As a fellow tenter, I just wanted to let y'all know that tent 1 doesn't really represent the crazies very well this year. In fact, they seem to have isolated themselves from the rest of kville for most of the season. So please don't think that all of us are as sensitive to an SI article as they are. Though we all do share the same passion and excitement for Duke basketball, and we are ready to wreck havoc upon Tyler Hanztravel's ears on Saturday. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFan08 View Post
    In fact, they seem to have isolated themselves from the rest of kville for most of the season.
    as a third year tenter, i wanted to vouch for tent 1 and say the reason they may seem isolated is because tent 1 this year was put together from people who were always at the front of every line for every game last year. so they are all upperclassmen (minus 1 freshman), and everybody already knew each other and knew that the whole tent shares the desire to be front and center for every home game, obviously including the carolina game.

and also - kville just IS isolated. the top 3-5 tents all know each other (from bonding in december when nobody else is around), but after that it depends on who is in your tent, if you're all freshmen, etc etc. i remember thinking it was hard to talk to new people in k-ville as a freshmen, and i still think its hard unless you happen to be giving out free food or something. i met new people usually waiting in line for other games, not just from wandering around and introducing myself to other tenters. anyway, i love kville and hate to see tents bashing on each other. any tenters out there, you should try talking to the tentone-ers. they love to give kville-related adivce, they arent trying to be exclusive, and most of them wont bite

gthc...gth.

Okay, folks, let's not let this turn this into tent-on-tent bashing. Cool?

I also laughed at that one. I wonder if Bruce Pearl will begin to threaten to cancel series with teams who have fans that make signs like that?

Okay, folks, let's not let this turn this into tent-on-tent bashing. Cool?
    I actually thought this was a positive direction for the thread to develop in. I mean seriously, who doesn't want the dirty behind the scenes factoids about k-ville this year, that are bound to emerge in "the on-line tent wars" (I am hoping the name will catch on.)

Since the spring cleaning thread warned against using subtle sarcasm, I will make it unsubtle by declaring this message sarcastic.

About the blog...

Bloggers must be excused if their post is not worthy of a Pulitzer. Keep in mind they are cold, hungry, tired, muddy and in danger of failing their midterms (from too much attention to basketball and too little attention to classes) and then having to tell their parents about it next week over Spring break.

They pray for grace...

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I'm sorry, this is just driving me nuts. No, I wouldn't be angry, because I'd understand the context. The writer did not call Duke's behavior boorish. The writer used it as an example of the difficulty of deciding where to draw the line. Just because it's mentioned in the same article as the stuff Oregon fans did to Kevin Love does not equate the two acts.
    The author chose a bad example to illustrate where the line is. The use of clever phrases by the Crazies to illustrate a fact does not come close to approaching the line.

I'm very calm.
    In the many years I have participated in this forum, and I've been here from the beginning, I have rarely found this to be the case when you are challenged.

And furthermore...

As a Duke grad and tent 1 parent, I can assure you that this bunch is passionate and dedicated, so we need to chill a bit and support them. After all, who else is clever enough to hold up signs in Spanish that even the churlish Greivis Vazquez had to laugh at?

I am glad that SI brought up the question of abusive fans, but after seeing real abuse when Duke played at the University of Miami recently, I don't think the crazies should have been mentioned at all. As you might have heard, when Greg Paulus was fouled while attempting a three, the entire student section (standing right behind the backboard he was shooting at) started chanting "F.U. Paulus" during the first and third free throws. People all around me were surprised and asking, "Are they saying what I think they're saying?" They were.

When it started, Haith should have gotten up immediately to quiet the crowd, and since he didn't, President Shalala should have. Instead, the abuse was allowed to continue, and it wasn't until after the third free throw that the public address announcer finally reminded the crowd that the university did not allow abusive comments by fans. That would have been appropriate previously, when they chanted "BS," but at that point it was too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by detule View Post
    I actually thought this was a positive direction for the thread to develop in. I mean seriously, who doesn't want the dirty behind the scenes factoids about k-ville this year, that are bound to emerge in "the on-line tent wars" (I am hoping the name will catch on.)

Since the spring cleaning thread warned against using subtle sarcasm, I will make it unsubtle by declaring this message sarcastic.
    The sarcasm was quite clear and hilarious. I still prefer "tent-on-tent violence," though.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    The author chose a bad example to illustrate where the line is. The use of clever phrases by the Crazies to illustrate a fact does not come close to approaching the line.

In the many years I have participated in this forum, and I've been here from the beginning, I have rarely found this to be the case when you are challenged.
    I can assure you that you have little understanding of my pulse rate. Also, please read the "Spring Cleaning" thread. We want to stay away from this type of stuff.
    The author's use of one example from the Crazies was not wrong at all. What is clever to one man is cruel to another. That's why he chose it.

I am the Watcher! I see and remember everything. Pity the poor chronic that grades the Devils.

Tenters beware! I will be out and about campus the next couple of days. If you want a group shot pic and plug on my site, post number here or pm me. I may even bring the court jester known as CTG.

And now we turn to a segment of the show we call, "Duke arguments that couldn't happen in 1992."

Not sure of any of your real names, but flash back to the early nineties. You're walking the grounds of Duke University. Future Man walks up to each of you and says:

"Man, Jumbo and AwesomelyRBD! are having quite the Message Board discussion regarding Tent1's Blog on the SI Web article!"

With modern technology, we can really argue about everything in so many ways!

Remember when The Chronicle put out that hardcopy "report card" on Duke's players and Coach K went ballistic? The Internet and all its capabilities makes stuff like that look like Pong vs. Wii.

Sorry, I just find it all fascinating. Anyone else remember the Report Card debacle?

-EJ