Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Power Bill Issue!!! Help!!!

Recently my female room mate inherited a tarantula from her boyfriend who moved to LA.

She has a 660 W 250 V light that has stayed on top of the tartantula cage on for pretty much 24/7 for the last billing cycle.

We have a $100 jump in our electricity bill. How much would that light be associated with the jump in cost?

I went here and did a calculation based on my kWh cost (~$.09 with taxes). It came out to about $42. Another site gave a similar cost. I might have missed something, though, so you might want to get a second opinion.

Also, aren't tarantulas kind of a goth cliché? I say flush the thing down the toilet and save yourself some cash.

The kilowatt hour calculation is correct. You can also find the same calc, as well as other energy usage information at your power company's website. However, you burn much more energy during the winter months than other times. There are various reasons for this - it gets darker earlier, heating cost more than cooling, and you're inside more. I'd give it another month just to see. Especially if the past month where you are has been exceptionally cold.

However, I would definitely show her all the facts if she disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Also, aren't tarantulas kind of a goth cliché? I say flush the thing down the toilet and save yourself some cash.
    Or, you could sprinkle a few cypermetherin granules in its food.

actually he's not really in the goth mold at all. Apparently he was so terrified of spiders she'd have to kill them for him whenever he saw one. So he bought it to try to rid him of his arachnophobia.

Its about to molt soon - I kind of want to see that.

What does a spider molt consist off?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I went here and did a calculation based on my kWh cost (~$.09 with taxes). It came out to about $42. Another site gave a similar cost. I might have missed something, though, so you might want to get a second opinion.
    I'm guessing that you only did one month, and odds are that his electric billing cycle is actually 2 months. Using 61 days for the billing cycle, I got $86. So, most of the increase would be due to that light.

I got shocked one winter by my power bill. I had moved into a rental townhome with huge ceilings and the place had electric heat. It was unseasonably cold that winter and my eye popped out of my head when I saw the first winter power bill. I started reading the meter on my own the next month to monitor the usage. I haven't been surprised since and have been much more energy efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I got shocked one winter by my power bill.
    You should have grounded your power bill before opening it.

Cost of power calculations

660 W = .66kW (1 kiloWatt = 1000 Watts)
    .66kW X 24 Hours = 15.84 kWH per day
    15.84 X 30 = 475.2 kWH per month (30 days)
    475.2 kWH X $0.10 = $47.52 plus tax for the month @ 10 cents/kWH - check what your rate is.

That's one heckuva heat lamp the spider needs. Is $600/year worth it? What can you sell the tarantula for?

Besides the drier outlet and the stove outlet, where in the world in your house or apartment did you have a 240 V outlet? Did you have an electrician come in and install a new circuit? Or are you using a standard 120 V outlet and only getting 330 Watts output from the bulb?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    You should have grounded your power bill before opening it.
    That was a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I got shocked one winter by my power bill. I had moved into a rental townhome with huge ceilings and the place had electric heat. It was unseasonably cold that winter and my eye popped out of my head when I saw the first winter power bill. I started reading the meter on my own the next month to monitor the usage. I haven't been surprised since and have been much more energy efficient.
    We're at about $500/mo. Gotta love a house built in 1900.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Baked Tarantula

660 Watts? Are you trying to cook it? Seriously, look on any pet store site and see what they recommend, that seems really extreme. I have two boas, and they would live in the same jungle, and they don't need that kind of bulb.

We're at about $500/mo. Gotta love a house built in 1900.
    If I got a bill like that I would be sitting in the dark with the heat off...yes, in the middle of winter. That or I would move into my car...

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    What does a spider molt consist off?
    Sugar, spice and....Bill Murray's hair!

Wink To tie in with another thread

The tarantula could help alleviate a bunny rabbit problem.

This is the best idea ever. I'm a huge arachnophobe, had I known I would have the creepy-crawlies just by reading this post, I would have held out. The thread should be renamed to "Gross spider issue." LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    What can you sell the tarantula for?
    Squishing it sounds awesome.

Talking Bond reference

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Squishing it sounds awesome.
    Of course, there is the one tarantula scene in Dr. No. I say it's only good to squish if you have orchestration in the background.