Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Duke vs UVA Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Before I completely commit my mind to UNC this weekend, I am more focused on UVA. I have a feeling we could be facing another NCSU-type of situation. I don't really care that we beat them by 22 in January. We are going to their home court where they recently took UNC down to the wire. Anytime you have Singletary in the backcourt you are capable of winning games. Bottom feeder or not, UVA could prove to be another tough test for us.

I'm hoping that UVA will be tired after their trip to Georgia Tech tonight. I have tickets to the game; will anyone else be there, and will there be any gathering of Duke fans before the game?

dukechem . . .

Semi-off topic: I suggest you do not park in either of the new "parking structures" proximate to J P Jones. I attended the UVa/Duke game last season (no comment re our play or the results) and the police allow all the season ticket holders to depart before any of the single-game parkers. This resulted in 30+ minute delay even to back out of our space.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

UVA should be tired

It is huge that the make-up game is tonight. A big positive for Duke. GT plays a physical game and should be hounding Singletary all game. An up tempo game by Duke on Wednesday should prove to be too much for Singletary at this point in the year (tired legs).

We need a solid, well played game and win. We need to win by 10+ and have control over the whole game.

Suffice it to say Duke has looked astonishingly average in the last 5 games, and to some extent it is arguable that we had no business winning against NC State.

I'll take it, as a win is a win, but we need to step up big time Wed if we want to have a chance on 3/8, and make a deep run in the ACCs and NCAAs

I wouldn't say we need a big win to have success in March, but it would certainly help the team's confidence. A real solid effort (win or lose, esp against UNC) the next two games would go a long way in disproving the theory that Duke has already peaked, which I personally believe to be true. Still, hard to think the team won't be up for all the rest of the games from here on out.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I wouldn't say we need a big win to have success in March, but it would certainly help the team's confidence. A real solid effort (win or lose, esp against UNC) the next two games would go a long way in disproving the theory that Duke has already peaked, which I personally believe to be true. Still, hard to think the team won't be up for all the rest of the games from here on out.
    Exactly. Continued momentum is what we need. I don't even know that we played all that poorly against State - State just couldn't miss and we couldn't hit! I would love to see a 25-point drubbing of UVA.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Semi-off topic: I suggest you do not park in either of the new "parking structures" proximate to J P Jones. I attended the UVa/Duke game last season (no comment re our play or the results) and the police allow all the season ticket holders to depart before any of the single-game parkers. This resulted in 30+ minute delay even to back out of our space.
    I went to five or so games at JPJ last year, including the Duke game, and was quite satisfied parking in the overflow lot and using the shuttle bus - so long as you bust out as soon as the game is over and grab the first bus to leave.

Road Games

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    We need a solid, well played game and win. We need to win by 10+ and have control over the whole game.

Suffice it to say Duke has looked astonishingly average in the last 5 games, and to some extent it is arguable that we had no business winning against NC State.

I'll take it, as a win is a win, but we need to step up big time Wed if we want to have a chance on 3/8, and make a deep run in the ACCs and NCAAs
    Even strong well coached teams have trouble winning on the road this time of year. I'll be satisfied with a win and don't think it needs to be by more than 10 points.

This will be Senior Night for Singletary, yes? If so, expect an emotional performance from him, and a more-active-than-usual crowd. Still, even if Singletary is lights-out, UVa cannot match up with a Duke team at or near the top of its game. Hopefully the team will re-commit to defense after a poor showing against NCSU and build off the positive momentum of that game's finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    This will be Senior Night for Singletary, yes?
    Virginia hosts Maryland on Sunday night.

parking at UVA

My son and I are going to the game and sitting in the upper deck, where all of the visiting fans sit. (It was fun watching the UNC game to see how nervous the UNC fans were.)

We usually park in Barracks Road shopping center. There is a McDonalds at the end of the parking lot near JPJ. All you need to do is cross Arlington Blvd and take the next right on Copeley Drive. Walk about 1/4 mile up Copelely and the JPJ parking lot is on your left. Walk through the parking lot and you can get to a door that lets you into JPJ at the lower level. When you leave you can head out of the far end of the shopping center and get on 250 or 29 very easily.

State just shot the ball really, really well.....

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Exactly. Continued momentum is what we need. I don't even know that we played all that poorly against State - State just couldn't miss and we couldn't hit! I would love to see a 25-point drubbing of UVA.

and when we had to, we did, and we did all the other things we had to do to win that game. I personally wouldn't hang too much emotion or too much dissection regarding Duke on that State game because again, State just couldn't miss much in that first half and while they 'got every shot they wanted', as one of their players said afterwards, usually they don't shoot close to the 54% or so that they did in that one game.

I actually think we're looking pretty good going into UVA and the next battle with the HATED holes from Chapel Hell.

I wonder if that's a faint glow of a pre-emptive FIRE I see coming from that part of the state of North Carolina........?.......

dukestheheat lest you forget it.

Duke just needs to keep their flow and their rhythm going. Make the easy shots that we've been missing, make some free throws, try and stay out of foul trouble, and work on the defense a little. If those things improve even in the slightest, I say Duke should handle UVA quite easily. (Believe it or not, I have been wrong in the past. )

Right now I only care about the UVA game. You know Singletary is going to do his best to light us up. A loss to UVA will do far more damage to our potential seeding than a loss to the holes

State Couldn't Miss

I'll agree they shot well, but it looked to me as more a result of great offense/our bad defense. They were making open shots and dunks down low. They penetrated at will and dished when the double came. They did a great job cleaning up the boards and getting second chance points.

Duke on the other hand took a lot of ill-advised shots, shots contested with people in their face. Perhaps I need to watch the game, but I just felt that we never were in an offensive rhythm.

On a positive note, we shot incredibly well from the free-throw line, but I think this game is the exception not the rule, this many games into the season, you don't suddenly become an 85% shooting team from the line.

On last thought: is it just me, or does it seem like our down swing in the last 5 games coincide with K's desire to play a more tradional team. Perhaps Jumbo can confirm through his charts, but we seem to be playing Thomas/BZ down low a lot more minutes per game. As a result, we're not spreading the court as well, and having a more difficult time penetrating and kicking out to the three.

I'm done. GO DUKE!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

One last chance to kick some azz

This is the guys' last chance to show off before Carolina, and I think it's a good team to do it against in a great environment. I was at the 1st game in Cameron, and Singletary was amazing to watch. I was thinking to myself "This guy is going to have fun at home". Well, it's his turn now. Hopefully our boys have learned from their recent away games to know that the target is on their back, and they aren't invincible. I want to soooo badly see a blowout, I think that will set a great tone for Saturday, but I won't be shocked by a close game either. Best of luck, GO DUKE!!!

Advnatage Duke v UVA

DIdn't realize UVA had to play last night... A little tired legs maybe

*Is Singletary hurt? Someone said he was but I didn't watch?

19. UVA Beat GT

UVA beat GT on the road with a buzzer-beating 3, so they definitely have some momentum going into the game with Duke. But they only shot .379. Hopefully they'll have tired legs and Duke can wear them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    My son and I are going to the game and sitting in the upper deck, where all of the visiting fans sit. (It was fun watching the UNC game to see how nervous the UNC fans were.)

We usually park in Barracks Road shopping center. There is a McDonalds at the end of the parking lot near JPJ. All you need to do is cross Arlington Blvd and take the next right on Copeley Drive. Walk about 1/4 mile up Copelely and the JPJ parking lot is on your left. Walk through the parking lot and you can get to a door that lets you into JPJ at the lower level. When you leave you can head out of the far end of the shopping center and get on 250 or 29 very easily.
    My daughters and I will be up there with you! Everyone has a new Duke T and have been practicing their cheers.