Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

If you answered "the devil is beating his wife" you're probably from Dixie

It's is from an interesting dialect site.

83%

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Please take the following test and report your score back to Demographics Management (i.e., EarlJam).

I, EarlJam, am 84% Dixie.

This came as somewhat of a surprise to me.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...ixie_quiz.html

Your redneck friend,

-EarlJam

P.S. Not sure if this link has been posted here before, but found the test entertaining, interesting, sensual.

LOL@Sensual! I'm 83%, not far behind you. We need to make up one, "How Burlington are you", with questions like...

1. Where do you go for a hotdog.
    a. Grocery Store
    b. Fast Food Resturant
    c. Zacks
    d. None of the above.

2. Cum-Park plaza is...
    a. Where I was conceived.
    b. A shopping center in Burlington NC.
    c. The parking lot at Cummings High School in Burlington NC.
    d. None of the above.

3. Munchkin Land is...
    a. An orphanage for children.
    b. Where Mugsy Bogues shops for clothes.
    c. An area in Alamance County NC supposably haunted by the ghosts of midgets.
    d. All of the above.

4. The witches grave is...
    a. Where my ex wife is burried.
    b. The grave of a supposed witch in Graham NC.
    c. A candle shop in Salem Mass.
    d. All of the above.

5. If you're under 21 and need alcohol you....
    a. Go to Joe Shopwells.
    b. Get an older relative to buy it for you.
    c. Rob parents liquor cabinet.
    d. Use fake ID.

6. Rich stuck up kids go to...
    a. Duke university.
    b. Williams High School.
    c. rehab.
    d. All of the above.

Those of you blessed enough not to be from Alamance county be glad you DON'T know the answers. And as Duke fans, be glad in this area the most common response to question #6 would be Williams High School. But I'll bet Earl can answer every one of these correctly. He may be in the ATL but he's 99% Burlington.

1. Where do you go for a hotdog.

c. Zacks

2. Cum-Park plaza is...

b. A shopping center in Burlington NC.

3. Munchkin Land is...

c. An area in Alamance County NC supposably haunted by the ghosts of midgets.

4. The witches grave is...

b. The grave of a supposed witch in Graham NC.

5. If you're under 21 and need alcohol you....

a. Go to Joe Shopwells. - Oh yeah!

6. Rich stuck up kids go to...

d. All of the above. - but mostly Williams High School

Cali & Florida

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Same thing happend to me, exactly. I wonder if we also gave the exact same answers? I'm pretty sure I'm not 73% Dixie although I wouldn't be offended if it really came out that way.

I've taken a couple of tests lie this before and I always feel like some obvious choices are missing for some of the multiple choice questions. For example:

7. How do you address a group of people?
    Missing choice is "All y'all". I mean really.

11. What do you call gym shoes?
    The two extremes are missing: tenny-pumps (south Louisiana, maybe?) and trainers (Brit influenced)

Also, this just kills me:
    19. What's a drive through liquor store called?
    I said "Brew Thru" because of the beer stores at the beach here in NC, but there is an actual drive through liquor store in a college town near where my family is from in Louisiana. The first time I actually went there just blew me away. In addition to buying a bottle of liquor you can buy "daiquiris" in three sizes (big styrofoam carry out cups like a milkshake from a fast food place) and in about 75 flavors. When we were there they were preparing for the late afternoon rush by setting up a huge tray of Jello shooters. Is this a nationwide thing that I just never noticed before or is it a Louisiana/Texas thing or something?
    The only place I've seen drive through liquor stores was in California and certain parts of Florida. But in Cali you can also buy liquor at grocery stores, at least in the bay area. Both facts shocked me, but apparently I'm not the only one. I remember a Drew Carey stand up routine where he made fun of drive through liquor stores saying they were for, "drunks on the go".

Funny but not quite as funny as when he said, "I was eating a steak and a vegetarian woman at the next table said..."someone killed a cow so you could eat that steak". To which I replied, "no lady, this cow died because you ate all his food, ya freakin' health nazi"!

I scored 91% on that test, and I am damned proud to hail from North Carolina.

dukestheheat.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I, BOSTONDevil, am 96% Dixie. I've always said, you can take the girl out of the south but you can't take the south out of the girl.

When people tell me I don't have much of a Southern accent, I always respond, "Yes, but I have INsurance."

Grits

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I, BOSTONDevil, am 96% Dixie. I've always said, you can take the girl out of the south but you can't take the south out of the girl.

When people tell me I don't have much of a Southern accent, I always respond, "Yes, but I have INsurance."
    GRITS....Girls Raised In The South. And I like mine with butter, salt and pepper, lol.

And Earl got 100 on his Burlington quiz. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of. I had someone message me as to what the %#$# munchkin land is. There is an area of Alamance County where the houses are quite small and old. I've been told they are old mill houses just built smaller than usual. But the legend is a group of "little people" were persecuted in their native land and moved to the collonies many years ago to live amongst themselves. Supposably they were gypsies and practiced the occult. Anyway they died off over the years and their houses and the area around their houses is supposably haunted. Most anyone who has grown up around Burlington has heard of the area.

One night a buddy and I were dared to walk through the area at night. I don't know about haunted but every time we took a step on the gravel road, something or someone took a step in the leaves behind the houses in the woods. When we stepped it stepped, when we walked it walked. Jessie Owens couldn't have beaten us in a foot race out of there.

Speaking of redneck activities. And this wasn't on the Dixie quiz. Has anyone here besides myself taken a non-southerner "snipe hunting", or gone cow tipping? Both are MUCH more fun than rolling a house!

68% Dixie

Maybe because I'm originally from Northwest Arkansas? Strange - I expected the number to be a bit higher.

How Dixie are you??

they forgot this one:

Do you find Roy Williams' speech to be clever?

Clever?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    they forgot this one:

Do you find Roy Williams' speech to be clever?
    Clever? It's cornball. Chicken in the bread pan picking up dough common. Dad gum? Dagnabbit? Any head coach that wears britches and lives over yonder needs to take his yungins back to the moutains and feed them vitles. Every time Roy Williams speaks the background music needs to be "Dueling Banjos". I'll take a Bob Knight stream of profanity any day over hick shtick.

62% Dixie. Born and raised in New Jersey, Durham resident for five and a half years. Would have been higher except for the "Mischief Night" question.

By the way, carbonated beverages are soda. Coke is a brand of soda. It's not so much a cultural thing, as it is factually wrong.

As for y'all... I've always said its grammar is perfect compared to the New Jersey alternative: yous guys. Blech. I'm glad I never picked up the Joisey accent, and have been known to slip into a drawl at times.

DC

Lived in D.C. much much too long! Score was 73%.

Fun thread!

Then again, as a dyed-in-the-wool Northeasterner -- and then on to L.A., I was HORRIFIED that I scored 57%. ...thought I'd be in the low 20's at best/worst. Go figure.

My 49% is the lowest score yet reported. What do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Geez, competitive much?

A live bayonetting at little round top at Gettysburg, you Yankee bastard.

-EarlJam

I actually got 47%, but I only lived in the South 11 years (6 in Houston, 5 at Duke). IIRC you're from Charleston, so if you take that into account, your score is probably worse than mine.

Ok, the west coast people have an excuse, but what are EJ and I doing up at midnight debating this? Let's all agree that I'm a huge traitor to my southern upbringing but also just a swell guy and call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I actually got 47%, but I only lived in the South 11 years (6 in Houston, 5 at Duke). IIRC you're from Charleston, so if you take that into account, your score is probably worse than mine.
    Ahh, I stand corrected. Kudos.

I may have picked some up by osmosis in Charleston, but very few people I knew had accents (no value judgment there, I just think Colbert and I ran in similar circles). On the other hand, after spending 4 years at Clemson, my sister has a _raging_ drawl.

Ok, the west coast people have an excuse, but what are EJ and I doing up at midnight debating this? Let's all agree that I'm a huge traitor to my southern upbringing but also just a swell guy and call it a night.
    I took the lead in my tennis division tonight, am a self-proclaimed bad-a&&, and hence and celebrating by drinkin a glass or seven of wine.

Please do not respond by saying, "get a life." I know. I know.

-EarlJam