Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    UVA has had a decent last five games or so but I'm not sure how much of that is due to their team and not other circumstances (luck, injuries). I think they lose to GT if Causey is in there and the UNC game seemed more about UNC looking past the hopeless hoos, at least at that time.

With that said, I see the hoos as capable of giving Duke a run for their money being that its a home game for them. If Duke brings the effort and desire than I don't think UVA has much of a chance. This could be a tough game for Duke to get really up for. Hopefully Duke can put them away early and save the emotions for Saturday.

I think this game will say alot about where Duke is at mentally right now. The last few games have seemingly been a struggle mentally for this somewhat young team. They don't seem to be having much fun playing right now. It feels like they are trying to catch their breath while bearing alot of weight on their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I think this game will say alot about where Duke is at mentally right now. The last few games have seemingly been a struggle mentally for this somewhat young team. They don't seem to be having much fun playing right now. It feels like they are trying to catch their breath while bearing alot of weight on their shoulders.
    I agree 100%. The only bearing this game has on the standings is that it could cost Duke a #1 seed should they lose. However, we have not looked sharp in our last 5-6 games. If we continue to play like we have against Wake, State, or Miami, this season will end much sooner than any of us want it to.

I really, really hope this team has put their slump behind them. A convincing (i.e. double digit) win tonight against UVA where the outcome is never in doubt will show me that we have, and give me confidence we can get it done when it is win-or-go-home time, which starts in a week.
    "There can BE only one."

The shots must fall

We need to have a game where someone gets hot from the start of the game in the loses and the state game we did not hit our shots both behind the line and on drive penetration.

I'm going as well. With the family, first college game for the twins. Don't have tix yet, but I've heard they're easy to get. Had a chance a minute ago to get 5 upstairs for $218 and decided I'll try my luck outside. Are students on break? I would think so.
    As far as parking, a friend said you can park at a daycare on Copeley Rd for free and it's close to the parking garage for JPJ. That's my plan. Anyone, feel free to stop by, maroon Pilot, Duke flags

Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by mlk View Post
    We need to have a game where someone gets hot from the start of the game in the loses and the state game we did not hit our shots both behind the line and on drive penetration.
    At this point, Duke needs to focus on their D. The O will come and go. Duke has the players to shoot the ball- but there are nights that shots will not fall. The D is a different story. Duke is giving up way too many easy hoops of late and way too many points. They need to pressure more and perhaps go for the steal strategically. The D concerns me much more than the O.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke is giving up way too many easy hoops of late and way too many points. They need to pressure more and perhaps go for the steal strategically. The D concerns me much more than the O.
    I think the key word here is strategically. I realize that playing aggressively and jumping the passing lanes is what leads to our breaks, and helps compensate for our lack of a intimidating interior presence as a backstop. However, it seems as if recently this has been coming back to bite us. I think part of that is due to the fact that as the season progresses other teams become sharper in their passing, and so our gambles don't necessarily pay off as much. Not to mention that the general fatigue of a long, very physical ACC season has I think slowed our ability to recover when we over-extend. I'm not advocating dropping the pressure, but I would like to see us taking more calculated risks. That's what I'll be paying close attention to tonight.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

ACC game numbers

1st 8 ACC games
    Duke averaged 86.6 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 71.6 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 15 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Last 6 ACC games
    Duke averaged 82.2 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 78.5 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 3.7 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Since the midpoint of the ACC season Duke has scored 4.2 less points a game while their opponents have scored 6.9 more points a game. That comes out to about an 11 pt/gm swing against Duke. While the offense and defense are related, they have had some issues on both side of the ball. Can they turn things around before the tourney? Good question. They are a tough team but it is a bad time of the year to not be playing at the peak of your game.

Second time around

1st 8 ACC games
    Duke averaged 86.6 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 71.6 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 15 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Last 6 ACC games
    Duke averaged 82.2 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 78.5 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 3.7 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Since the midpoint of the ACC season Duke has scored 4.2 less points a game while their opponents have scored 6.9 more points a game. That comes out to about an 11 pt/gm swing against Duke. While the offense and defense are related, they have had some issues on both side of the ball. Can they turn things around before the tourney? Good question. They are a tough team but it is a bad time of the year to not be playing at the peak of your game.
    Except for Wake- where foul trouble was an issue, all the other teams Duke has "struggled" with have seen Duke once before. Duke seems to play better or look better against teams that have seen them for the first time- St John's, Tech etc. So going to the NCAAs, that is plus- but going into the ACC tourney and the next few games it is an issue. Teams are making adjustments. So that account for some of the swing. This Duke team, without any real All-American type players has played very well this season. They have played many fewer close games than UNC. In many ways, it is a bit remarkable. I hope they can continue to find ways to win- by whatever margin. The 1983 NC State Wolfpack were able to win it all eeking out wins against much better teams. It can be done by thin margins and it does not have to be pretty.

Those truly are some 'uh oh!' numbers....

1st 8 ACC games

Last 6 ACC games

They may be correct, and I appreciate you pointing them out, but I had a sinking feeling when I read your post. Reality bites. GO DUKE!

dth.

Thumbs up Make Layups

1st 8 ACC games

Last 6 ACC games

Your post prompted me to look at this season's stats. Our problem appears to revolve around missed 2-pointers. It seems we're missing 4 more 2 pointers in the second half of the season on the same average number of shots per game. We're actually taking and making an extra 3-pointer in the second half of the season and we're making about 2.5 more free throws. Rebounding is basically the same - so we're missing 4 extra shots per game but not getting any extra offensive rebounds on our misfires. Assists are basically the same, we're turning the ball over once more per game (that number is particularly skewed by Wake & Miami), and our steals have been consistent. Overall, I'm impressed by our consistency. A couple more of those layups go in and we're back to golden.

Sorry about the non-formatted table, I've had persistent trouble with that.

Some Numbers
    Stat 1sthalf 2ndhalf

FG 29.8 26.0
    FGA 61.8 61.8
    % 48.2 42.0

3FG 9.1 9.7
    3FGA 24.9 26.0
    % 36.7 37.2

FT 18 20.5
    FTA 26.3 29.3
    % 68.6 69.9

OReb 12.5 12.8
    DReb 23.0 22.5
    AVG 35.5 35.3

Assist 14.1 13.8
    TO 12.6 13.5
    Steals 10.4 10.3

Oh no. Its Elmore and Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Oh no. Its Elmore and Patrick.
    Thus far it's fine, though, Elmore has only said 'take Duke off the bounce' once as of yet, and we've had no mention of backcourt violation rules.

"And Boeheim reached out and extended twain fingers on his right hand, and thrain on his left, and sayeth to Coach K, "2-3 Zone," and Coach K complied, and it saw that it was good."

A classic Duke scoring run to close out the half (save the two free throws)... a sight for sore eyes!

that was a very solid, business-like half of basketball

Zone Zone Zone!

i have been saying for a long time that we need to play more zone! i know the game isnt over but look what happen when we went to the 2-3! by going zone we can help in our weakness to rebound by 50%! good Call K!

The Bigs: Mikalauskas and Zoubek

I don't know what that second foul against Mikalauskas was for but I can guess--having seen at least a couple of times he elbowed our players as they were going down the court without official retribution.

On a positive note, I am impressed with Brian Zoubek's play tonight: some nice rebounds. And it looks to me as if the team is rebounding much better than in some recent games.

And the 2-3 Zone seems to be working well. Before this season, I guess I never thought I'd see the day when we departed from man to man. Go Boeheim and Syracuse! (Note I don't say Orange tonight!).

Why has Nolan Smith not gotten much playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Why has Nolan Smith not gotten much playing time?
    K's trying to lure Lawson into playing...