Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation When will the NCAA annouce the VCU player's suspension?

Did you see that VCU player come down with his hand aggressively after the shot and swat Scheyer in the eye? There's no way a player should lose control of his limbs like that, unless they are playing with a combative intent. Not only that, but it could have permanently damaged Scheyer's vision. And it drew blood, which is a clear sign that the injury was premeditated.

When will the NCAA announce the VCU player's suspension? I'm sure some nerd is feverishly uploading his proof of the incident to youtube, which I can use to back myself up.

End tounge in cheek. That is all.

Poor body control

Carl Hess would have him tossed. If he were a Duke player.

Thanks. My eyes were rolling back in my head until I read your last sentence.

I don't know about *more* blatant, but it sure looked similar.

Just imagine the media frenzy if that exact same play had happened by GHenderson! He'd be suspended for all of next season!

What should have happened . . .

What should have happened is Scheyer should have jumped up like he was ready to throw down, and then the refs would have seen that obviously there was combative intent by the VCU punk.

Personally, I think it was some of the worst officiating I've seen in a tourney game in a long time. There were a number of blatant, brutal away from the ball/dead ball fouls that were not called -- Scheyer nearly got his head ripped off long before VCU drew blood (it was my impression that putting an opposing player in a headlock, then lifting him off his feet and simultaneously twisting was, traditionally, a foul).

When you have 4-5 players (on both teams) bleeding heavily, a couple of two-handed tackles, head locks and double-locked forearms and it only results in one whistle, there's a problem with the officiating crew. (Especially considering this same crew took 1:30 to determine whether a shot was a 2 or a 3, when the player's toes were clearly 6-8 inches behind the line.)

Just to be clear, I'd be just as upset if Duke had won by 20 -- lazy, ineffective officials create a dangerous atmosphere. The last thing anyone (hopefully) wants to see is some 20 year old kid get seriously injured by an out-of-control, aggressive player. If the pros want to bang and bleed, then let them add to the WWF-like atmosphere -- they walk away with a paycheck; this is college ball and it needs to be called tighter.

PS -- I especially didn't like the fact that the particularly rotund official was motioning to Paulus to "stand up" when it was pretty obvious that he'd hit his head when he was knocked to the floor.
    Last edited by SharkD; 03-15-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Personally, I think it was some of the worst officiating I've seen in a tourney game in a long time. There were a number of blatant, brutal away from the ball/dead ball fouls that were not called -- Scheyer nearly got his head ripped off long before VCU drew blood (it was my impression that putting an opposing player in a headlock, then lifting him off his feet and simultaneously twisting was, traditionally, a foul).

When you have 4-5 players (on both teams) bleeding heavily, a couple of two-handed tackles, head locks and double-locked forearms and it only results in one whistle, there's a problem with the officiating crew. (Especially considering this same crew took 1:30 to determine whether a shot was a 2 or a 3, when the player's toes were clearly 6-8 inches behind the line.)

I'd be just as mad if Duke had won by 20 -- lazy, ineffective officials create a dangerous atmosphere. The last thing anyone (hopefully) wants to see is some 20 year old kid get seriously injured by an out-of-control, aggressive player. If the pros want to bang and bleed, then let them add to the WWF-like atmosphere -- they walk away with a paycheck; this is college ball and it needs to be called tighter.
    Amen, brother!

Although I thought it was ironic that if McClure was within a foot of the guy he was defending 25 feet from the basket, they called a foul, but if somebody put McRoberts in a half-nelson and bodily moved him 7 feet out of the lane, it was apparently OK.

Plus, Maynor -- who could be a great player -- seemed instead a pretty dirty player.

Maynard seemed both, and a jerk, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Maynard seemed both, and a jerk, too.
    I think he should have been T'd-up for continuing to get in Paulus' face, before the ball was put back in play, after the mid-court foul.

That play by Maynor was definitely intentional. You do not follow through after a shot with that motion or in that direction. It was a well disguised cheap shot. If he were in the NBA and named Kobe, he would likely be getting a retoractive 1-game suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    I think he should have been T'd-up for continuing to get in Paulus' face, before the ball was put back in play, after the mid-court foul.
    I agree that Maynor seemed like a jerk, but Greg initiated the "scrum" after that harder-than-needed foul at midcourt. I like Greg doing that. This team has reacted all year instead of forcing other teams to react to them like most Duke teams. If they're playing chippy and getting in our face, we can't just back down. Also, Greg didn't get the T like he did against FSU.

I really expected more from such seasoned fans. I don't think that Maynor is a dirty player...far from it. I think we can all agree that the game was very physical and intense.

I think that your team played a good game, and it got intense out there, and there were some 'dirtier' fouls coming on both sides of the ball.

The officiating, IMO, wasn't one sided, but it was inconsistent. Calling simple hand fouls on some possessions but not calling obvious hacks on others, very bad...but evenly horrible on both sides.

Either way...a great game by your team...I do not want to face these sophomores and freshmen when they are juniors and seniors.

The officiating was indeed bizarre. I won't say one-sided, but so so many ticky-tack and phantom fouls followed by ignored hacks, bumps, and pushes. There certainly wasn't a lack of fouls, as I think UCLA almost beat us to halftime and they started about 15 minutes later by my watch. I was too unhappy by the end to notice if the other games had ended yet.

I haven't said this in any post yet, but I must even if not pertinent here: Where O Where was Zoubek? Do we have to try to matchup evenly with every team instead of exploiting their weaknesses? Why don't we try trading our weakness for theirs every now and then... might work out for the better. So they're fast and like to steal the ball... do we have to be overprotective and only play our fastest guys with the best handle (supposedly)? Rebounds can be just as much a change of possession. Remember early in the year when Zoubek started out like he would destroy smaller teams that had no big defender? Edit: And remember what he did to McBob in the blue and white?

Lulu the question is, what does Zoubek do with the ball? I could have nightmares thinking of what double teams with VCU defenders would do to Zoubek.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I agree that Maynor seemed like a jerk, but Greg initiated the "scrum" after that harder-than-needed foul at midcourt. I like Greg doing that. This team has reacted all year instead of forcing other teams to react to them like most Duke teams. If they're playing chippy and getting in our face, we can't just back down. Also, Greg didn't get the T like he did against FSU.
    Initially, I was happy that Greg didn't back down. However, this play seemed to motivate VCU and propel them to victory. At the time it happenned, I was sure Duke was in the process of blowing the game wide open. Instead VCU stormed back from an 11 point deficit and won the game. They went 4 for 4 from 3-point land in the couple of minutes directly after this play took place. We would have been better off if the whole confrontation hadn't taken place. Of course, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking here.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Bob, you actually expected Duke to blow the game wide open? I have to say that when we were up 11 with 10 minutes to go the clock couldn't tick fast enough for me. For me, I have had a feeling in the pit of my stomach during the second half of each of the recent Duke games where I just KNOW no matter what our lead, we'll blow it or come close to blowing it. Sad isn't it? However, when I think about how many fans must feel that way every year, I realize how lucky I have been to have so many years when I just KNEW we'd pull out the close wins, or that we'd blow out a team in the second half.

I do really appreciate this team, and I think a season like this DOES make us appreciate the outstanding seasons we so often can take for granted. I LOVE Paulus. A good night's sleep certainly can help bring perspective.

Now, LET'S GO DUKE WOMEN. They have been so much fun to watch all year. I really hope this is their year.
    Last edited by Susan; 03-16-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Initially, I was happy that Greg didn't back down. However, this play seemed to motivate VCU and propel them to victory. At the time it happenned, I was sure Duke was in the process of blowing the game wide open. Instead VCU stormed back from an 11 point deficit and won the game. They went 4 for 4 from 3-point land in the couple of minutes directly after this play took place. We would have been better off if the whole confrontation hadn't taken place. Of course, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking here.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    You very well may be correct that VCU's play may have gone up a notch after this collision but I think it was more a result of Duke's propensity for turning the ball over and not getting back in transition D than being fired up after this exchange. VCU made largely uncontested transition threes all game.

I guess that I was looking at the exchange more from Paulus' point of view. It showed that he wasn't intimidated. VCU had been doing small things to intimidate Duke (talking smack after making a basket, their point man on the press getting in Josh's way as he tried to pick the ball to inbound it after made baskets) and from my less than ideal vantage point in my living room, it looked like Duke was just sitting there and taking it. I know that letting your play do the talking is the best way to combat this, but this Duke team seemed way too passive and reactionary all year long and I liked Greg standing up for himself.

Koolaid, I understand your perspective, and while mine is probably not objective, either, I don't like seeing 18-22yo kids getting hurt.

I don't mind a "physical" game so long as the refs ensure that, however rough the play may be, that the players are in control. When they get out of control (as GH did against Hansbrough, and as much of the VCU did last night), it's up to the refs to either assess a foul, or just pull both coaches to the scorer's table and tell them to reign-in the players.

Seeing Paulus' eye during the presser, I can only imagine what Scheyer's face must look like. Same goes for the VCU kid who was sidelined with a bloody nose. It's just unacceptable that an officiating crew let the game get that out of hand, but was more than willing to call an infrequent hand-check.

As I said before, if Kobe, or Shaq, or Artest, etc. want to beat each others' brains in, let them -- they'll get paid (minus their fines). But this is college ball and things need to be kept in check.

I also feel, that if touching the ball after it goes through the net is a technical, then hindering the inbounder from getting to the ball should be as well -- I literally screamed out loud when I saw that kind of crap going down without even a word from the official to the VCU player or coaches.
    Last edited by SharkD; 03-16-2007 at 01:41 PM.