Duke Baseball Sweeps Columbia

Wow, I'm actually impressed with this team so far. The boys are now 10-0 on the season, after sweeping a 4 game series with Columbia this weekend. (2-1, 11-3, 4-1, and finally 19-5 today.) They next play Wednesday against Valpo in Durham, followed by a 3 game series with the Tar Heels starting this Friday, in Durham.

Seeing as I may be in town for the weekend for GTCH festivities and such, how are the baseball games? I've never been to a college game, and I'm a huge baseball fan. Worth going to? There's a game Saturday at 2:00 which would be perfect for my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Wow, I'm actually impressed with this team so far. The boys are now 10-0 on the season, after sweeping a 4 game series with Columbia this weekend. (2-1, 11-3, 4-1, and finally 19-5 today.) They next play Wednesday against Valpo in Durham, followed by a 3 game series with the Tar Heels starting this Friday, in Durham.

Seeing as I may be in town for the weekend for GTCH festivities and such, how are the baseball games? I've never been to a college game, and I'm a huge baseball fan. Worth going to? There's a game Saturday at 2:00 which would be perfect for my schedule.
    Temper your enthusiasm. The 10-0 record was built on the backs of Columbia, Iona and Alabama A&M. Frankly, their non-conference schedule is disgraceful. Catching a game should be fun if the weather's nice, but bear in mind a couple of things. Duke's park is probably the most un-fan friendly in college baseball -- most of the seating is about 50 yards behind home plate and behind a screen. And the Heels seem to be a solid top 10-20 program every year now (in the CWS final the last two years). Not saying Duke can't compete with them, but that non-conference record tells you nothing about the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Temper your enthusiasm. The 10-0 record was built on the backs of Columbia, Iona and Alabama A&M. Frankly, their non-conference schedule is disgraceful. Catching a game should be fun if the weather's nice, but bear in mind a couple of things. Duke's park is probably the most un-fan friendly in college baseball -- most of the seating is about 50 yards behind home plate and behind a screen. And the Heels seem to be a solid top 10-20 program every year now (in the CWS final the last two years). Not saying Duke can't compete with them, but that non-conference record tells you nothing about the team.
    Yes, last year I think they started 15-0, or something close to that, but then did went under .500 in conference play. However, they did beat top ranked Florida St. once, along with some other top teams. I expect the team to have more than 25 wins this year.

And Dukegirlinsc, even with the wacky seating, games are a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Yes, last year I think they started 15-0, or something close to that, but then did went under .500 in conference play. However, they did beat top ranked Florida St. once, along with some other top teams. I expect the team to have more than 25 wins this year.

And Dukegirlinsc, even with the wacky seating, games are a fun experience.
    I knew last year the team finished somewhere below .500. I'm just a baseball fan in general, and figured it might give me something to do Saturday afternoon-ish. If it's total misery, I'm sure I can find things to do elsewhere. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    It's still something to be slightly excited about, regardless of who they've played so far...

Duke baseball just WHOOPED UNC in game 1 of a double header.

Maybe we are truly better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Duke baseball just WHOOPED UNC in game 1 of a double header.

Maybe we are truly better this year.
    God forbid you get excited about that.

I hope we do well, but I hope we don't rough up my cousin whos a pitcher for NC State too bad. Even though he's blood he was a UNC fan growing up so I won't feel bad to see his Pack lose unless it knocks them out of a chance to play for the CWS.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    God forbid you get excited about that.
    Now, now. Just 'cause you were correct is no reason to point it out...

I was on campus this morning and unfortunately my partner in crime could not join me. However if she knew of all the baseball excitement I wish I would have known When I saw the fellas walking to the field I thought it was just a practice! Way to go Baseball Devils in beating UNC in game one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Now, now. Just 'cause you were correct is no reason to point it out...
    Charles Barkley had an excellent quote last night:
    "I'm often mistaken, but never wrong."

Nahhh, I realize it's still early. Got a tad bit excited a tad bit early. But it's an excellent start for the boys, Hope they keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukie4Life View Post
    I was on campus this morning and unfortunately my partner in crime could not join me. However if she knew of all the baseball excitement I wish I would have known When I saw the fellas walking to the field I thought it was just a practice! Way to go Baseball Devils in beating UNC in game one!!!
    You made me so proud though, so proud.
    Mwah!

GTHC.

Duke just took two out of three from Virginia, ranked 16th in the country by Baseball America. Duke is now 3-3 in conference, having played two of the four ranked ACC schools. Series with Miami, NC State, Georgia Tech and Clemson will probably be tough, but perhaps a .500 conference record is not that unreasonable.