Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bob Knight resigns

Bob Knight resigns effective immediately...

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/020...43647726.shtml

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

There's no "mouth hanging open" smiley, but...wow. Something obviously happened here. The Lubbock link appears to be (understandably) slammed right now; I can't get through. But the link on ESPN.com has a terse two-sentence statement, with no explanation, speculation, or even "more to come." I can't wait to hear the whole story.

Edit: So throaty's link obviously has more info, but it's almost entirely of the "career re-hash" sort. Something is fishy.

Wow.

That is premature. Anybody know why?

RMK is definitely one of my favorite people in sports.

I'm disappointed...a lot of people seem to dislike him, but he's one of my favorite coaches that isn't Coach K (I also always liked Boheim, and there are others). I hope that this turns out to be something innocent, I'd hate to see him caught up in another scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    There's no "mouth hanging open" smiley, but...wow. Something obviously happened here. The Lubbock link appears to be (understandably) slammed right now; I can't get through. But the link on ESPN.com has a terse two-sentence statement, with no explanation, speculation, or even "more to come." I can't wait to hear the whole story.

Edit: So throaty's link obviously has more info, but it's almost entirely of the "career re-hash" sort. Something is fishy.
    I cant find anything but the AP write-up on every site. Maybe the Lubbock News online knows something that everyone else doesn't.

another link

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10618978

not any more detail or reasoning...

I know, my reaction was "What the hell?" The thing is, his son is taking over the program, which makes it even harder for me to guess what happened.

This from KCBD Channel 11 in Lubbock:

Sources tell NewsChannnel 11 that Coach Knight told Athletic Director Gerald Myers that he was ready to quit and tired of coaching. NewsChannel 11 is at Texas Tech learning more about this developing story and we'll have the latest on NewsChannel 11 at 6 and 10.
    Doesn't surprise me that Knight would just up and leave his players hanging like that in the middle of a season where his kids have a shot at going to the Big Dance again.

RMK has always been Numero Uno.

Good point, Clips. That makes me wonder if it's health related? Methinks another scandal would paint his son in quite the negative light.
    On a more positive note, K could now catch RMK considerably sooner than I had expected, and has a good shot at the first men's coach to 1000 wins.

Edit: Make that the first D-1 men's coach. A cool prospect to consider nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I cant find anything but the AP write-up on every site. Maybe the Lubbock News online knows something that everyone else doesn't.
    Nah, I got through the Lubbock article and it doesn't reveal anything. Just says he notified the AD this morning and his son, Pat, will take over for the rest of the season. Definitely a shocking and unexpected occurrence.

Perhaps he wants his son to have an on-the-job evaluation rather than face a selection process.

We'll likely never really know, regardless of what the pundits say - or what he says.

-jk

guess who is #1 now?

Doesn't this mean that Coach K leads active coaches in wins?

He is, by my recollection, 108 wins behind Knight.

eddie sutton is at 800
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

His son was already slated for the head coaching job; that was part of the reason he chose Tech.

Pat Knight has had a contract signed to succeed his father for over 2 years now.

There have been rumors that RMK was going to hang it up after this season and he just got 900 wins a couple of weeks ago. I don't think there are health concerns. I kind of believe his statement that he just got sick of coaching.

However, it does seem like a rather selfish act. I just can't decide if it is a bad or good thing for his players

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Pat Knight has had a contract signed to succeed his father for over 2 years now.

There have been rumors that RMK was going to hang it up after this season and he just got 900 wins a couple of weeks ago. I don't think there are health concerns. I kind of believe his statement that he just got sick of coaching.

However, it does seem like a rather selfish act. I just can't decide if it is a bad or good thing for his players
    i think its a good thing - they're playing well and he want to make the transition to pat as coach now while their in full swing, rather than do it in the off season.

that said, i love love love bob knight and i wish him the best in retirement

I don't see Knight being forced to resign I don't see him allowing that to happen and if so he wouldn't let his son stay. this is weird.

I've never had respect for Knight and happy he is gone. Very happy.
    ~rthomas

Definitely feels like he used Texas Tech to get the record then dropped them as soon as he didn't need them anymore. At least stick it out for another month and a half. Bizarre.