Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All ACC and POY

All ACC and POY

The All ACC selections are probably being voted on now by eligible sportswriters. My thoughts are as follows:

1st Team – Locks are Hansbrough, Nelson, Rice and Singletary, IMO. The 5th position should be very competitive. It seems to me that Ellington and Singler will get some votes along with Douglas, Rivers, Vasquez, Gist, McClinton and Johnson. Vasquez would get my vote. He is currently 5th in scoring (18.1 ppg), 1st in assists (7.43 apg) and 16th in rebounding (6.2 rpg). He has had some poor games but so have all the rest of the players being considered.

2nd team – Ellington, Singler, Rivers, Douglas and McClinton

3rd team – Gist, Johnson, Paulus, Vassallo, Hammonds

Lawson is one of the best players in the league but he did not play enough games, IMO, to be considered.

POY - Hansbrough

COY – If Duke wins regular season title, then it will be Coach K. If not, it will be Haith, Greenburg or Purnell.

ROY – Singler and Johnson are equally deserving. I would give it to Singler since he has been so valuable to a better team.

gw67

I don't know much, but I do know that Dino Gaudio will win ACc COY this year. Maybe if Duke had gone unbeaten K wold have given him a run for his money but the sympathy vote along with Wake being much, much better than expected will get it for him. As an aded bonus, he has done it with an insanely young team. I think he will win in a landslide.

You are right about Rice and Singletary being probable 1st team locks, but their teams have been 2 of the most disappointing teams in the ACC this year (alongside NC State) and I sorta hate it when upperclassmen on disappointing teams get honored too much. Only 5 guys are on the floor at a time in basketball. Are Sean and Ty's teammates so bad that 1st team All-ACC players cannot make them into decent teams? I like your choice of Vasquez. I would like it is KC Rivers made it too. Did you know he is averaging almost 7 rebounds a game and hitting close to 43% of his 3s? Dude is a stud.

James Johnson and JJ Hickson have both had very good seasons, but no way the ROY does not go to Singler.

--Jason "had he not been injured for several games and killed his stats, I think Henderson might get some mention for All-ACC too" Evans

At this point I think the only first team lock is Hansbrough. Rice and Singletary should make it but they might be hit with the Will Solomon Effect of great players on crappy teams.

Demarcus isn't a lock because he's only 12th in scoring, 17th in rebounding, and 10th in steals. If you factor his defense into the mix he should be a first teamer but defense doesn't always show up on the stats which many voters will use to select their team. He is helped by being the best player on one of the top two teams though.

All that said, I agree with your assessment of the first team above. I just don't see anyone in the second team that would merit bumping someone off the first team.

I also don't see Purnell as being a factor in the COY race. I'd handicap this one as K, Greenburg, and Haith. If Va Tech can finish 3rd in the league I would - and it pains me to say it - have to give the award to Seth since on paper Tech was supposed to be really awful this year.

On ROY of the year I think I would lean more toward Johnson at this point as his numbers are slightly better and his performance in the head-to-head game was stronger than Singler.

On the other side of the ledger:

Most Disappointing Coach of the Year: Sidney Lowe
    Most Disappointing Player of the Year: Ben McCauley

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    On the other side of the ledger:

Most Disappointing Coach of the Year: Sidney Lowe
    I'd have to give most disappointing player of the year to Brandon Costner. Based on his performance at the end of last season, I thought he would be a star. Maybe, we should just let the two of them share the dubious distinction.

What about Ben McCauley's teammate, preseason all-ACC pick Brandon Costner? His stats have fallen almost as precipitously as McCauley's (16.8 ppg to 9.1, 7.3 rpg to 4.7, 34 mpg to 25; McCauley went from 14.4 ppg to 5.9, 6.9 rpg to 3.8, 35 mpg to 22). Costner's been even worse in conference games, averaging 6.6 points and 2.7 rebounds. This despite the fact that McCauley faces significant competition for minutes at center from Hickson, who doesn't naturally compete with the inside/outside game of Costner (38% on threes last year).

Either way, though, this award goes to a State player.

Thumbs up Good choices, gw,...

and until 3 games ago, I had Paulus no worse than 2nd team.I wonder if the rush to reward seniors will push Singler lower.
    K has done a terrific job, but sympathy plays a role in COY voting.Unless
    Duke is undefeated in the remaining regular season and ACC tournament games,I just do not see COY for Super K.
    Best regards.

I also don't see Purnell as being a factor in the COY race. I'd handicap this one as K, Greenburg, and Haith. If Va Tech can finish 3rd in the league I would - and it pains me to say it - have to give the award to Seth since on paper Tech was supposed to be really awful this year.
    Wow, Carlos. You really don't see Dino as a huge COY candidate? Why not? Wake has played better than expected, no question about that, and he has dealt with about the most difficult coaching transition one could imagine.

Sympathy vote not carrying any weight with you?

-Jason "I agree that Nelson is not a 1st team lock -- though it is likely" Evans

Actually I think Nelson is an absolute lock for first-team All-ACC. He's the best all-around player on a team that will finish either first or second in the ACC. It doesn't hurt that he's a senior but that gravy. He's earned it on the court.

In fact, I think he'll finish second to TH in total votes.

Yeah. Hansbrough, Nelson, and Lawson are the top three ACC players, but Lawson has that whole injury thing. No way Nelson doesn't make it on first team.

Have not read anyone mention Mr. Hickson's name as an all ACC player. I would think he would have to atleast crack the 3rd team.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Have not read anyone mention Mr. Hickson's name as an all ACC player. I would think he would have to atleast crack the 3rd team.
    I agree. Hickson will definitely be in the discussion for FOY with Singler and Johnson and many think it's a two-man race between Hickson and Singler. I also think Hickson is 2nd Team All-ACC at the worst. Though he's not on my first team, I wouldn't question anyone that puts him on there.

As far as COY, they'd be hard pressed not to give it to Gaudio but what if Wake doesn't make the tournament? All emotions aside, it's pretty hard to give a guy COY that has a middle of the road team that goes to the NIT. I like Gaudio a lot, I'm just saying. And if Duke wins the regular season crown, you really have to look at Krzyzewski.

POY will be Hansbrough and given the way he's performed sans Lawson, I think he undoubtedly deserves it.

My 1st team

G - Tyrese Rice (BC)
    G - Demarcus Nelson (Duke)
    G - Sean Singletary (UVA)
    F - James Gist (Maryland)
    C - Tyler Hansbrough (UNC)

I know Gist is a surprise to many but he averages 16 and 8 on a Top 4 ACC team. I wanted to get someone from Clemson but Clemson is a very balanced team, so it's hard to do so. I also think it's a tribute to Gist in that he's gotten incrementally better every year at Maryland. I don't think he gets enough credit for the year he's having.

I am a little suprised no one is throwing Trevor Booker into the mix. He is fifth in the ACC in rebounding and fourth in blocked shots.

1st Team: Hansbrough, Gist, Nelson, Singletary, Rice

2nd Team: Booker, Douglas, McClinton, Vasquez, Lawson

3rd Team: Singler, Johnson, Hickson, Ellington, Vassallo

POY: Hansbrough

COY: Gaudio

ROY: Singler
    Bob Green

Question Who will be unanimous selections in 2008? There were 3 ...

...in 2007.
    The 2007 selections:

UNC's Tyler Hansbrough, Boston College's Jared Dudley and Florida State's Al Thornton were unanimous first-team All-ACC selections . Here's the complete list:

First team
    *Jared Dudley, Boston College (106), 318
    *Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (106), 318
    *Al Thornton, Florida State (106), 318
    Sean Singletary, Virginia (100), 312
    Zabian Dowdell, Virginia Tech (90), 302

Second team
    J.R. Reynolds, Virginia (20), 232
    D.J. Strawberry, Maryland (2), 180
    Tyrese Rice, Boston College, 177
    Josh McRoberts, Duke, 159
    Brandan Wright, North Carolina, 150

Third team
    Kyle Visser, Wake Forest, 120
    Javaris Crittenton, Georgia Tech, 104
    Brandon Costner, N.C. State, 94
    Jamon Gordon, Virginia Tech, 61
    Jack McClinton, Miami, 48

Honorable mention (20 or more points)
    Ben McCauley, N.C. State, 36
    James Mays, Clemson, 34
    DeMarcus Nelson, Duke, 34
    James Gist, Maryland, 28
    Ekene Ibekwe, Maryland, 22

Best regards.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Where's Henderson?

The first teams I've seen posted I couldn't argue with, but I'm surprised at everyone leaving Henderson off their lists entirely. There have been games this year that we would not have won, had he not decided to carry the team, and the other games that he had help on he played just as well. I was amazed at the GT game, knowing his wrist was injured, to see him doing what he was doing. He would be on my second team for sure. Just an observation.

Booker and Rivers are nice options. Both are deserving of some recognition in their way. But if you were going to pick one Tiger for 2008 it would have to be Cliff Hmamonds. Hands down. No doubt.

Of course Clemson hasn't managed to place a player on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team in three years (at least.) So I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow, Carlos. You really don't see Dino as a huge COY candidate? Why not? Wake has played better than expected, no question about that, and he has dealt with about the most difficult coaching transition one could imagine.

Sympathy vote not carrying any weight with you?

-Jason "I agree that Nelson is not a 1st team lock -- though it is likely" Evans
    Actually, I agree with you about Dino - I didn't see your post until after I had posted.

Klemnop,

I will be astonished if Clemson doesn't get one, maybe two players on the 15-deep All-ACC team.

As for Henderson, Duke is NOT pushing him for All-ACC. They are promoting Nelson, Singler, and Paulus.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Klemnop,

I will be astonished if Clemson doesn't get one, maybe two players on the 15-deep All-ACC team.

As for Henderson, Duke is NOT pushing him for All-ACC. They are promoting Nelson, Singler, and Paulus.
    not to get all nefarious on the program's choice of who to push for All-ACC, but do you think any part of this decision is designed to increase the odds of another season at Duke for Henderson?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    not to get all nefarious on the program's choice of who to push for All-ACC, but do you think any part of this decision is designed to increase the odds of another season at Duke for Henderson?
    While I have no inside information, I doubt an All-ACC 2nd or 3rd team award for GHenderson would tip the scales one way or another regarding his pro aspirations. Additionally, I am pretty confident that the decision to come back has already been made. Even if he was thinking about it, the off-season wrist surgery would pretty much rule it out as he would have trouble working out for teams pre-draft once he has the surgery.

Henderson will be back next year, I am almost certain of that.

--Jason "the only mild worry would be Singler, and I think that is not worth worrying about either" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    Booker and Rivers are nice options. Both are deserving of some recognition in their way. But if you were going to pick one Tiger for 2008 it would have to be Cliff Hmamonds. Hands down. No doubt.

Of course Clemson hasn't managed to place a player on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team in three years (at least.) So I'm not holding my breath.
    Clemson does get robbed here - no doubt... I mean we keep saying Duke and UNC help players get on the lists bc they are top two teams in conference..
    well, Clemson is third (Or possible) and I think Purnell deserves some look for coach of the year. Booker, Hammonds, and Rivers should get some look (3rd team / honorable mention) for all ACC. Mays would have been worhty if not for the hand injury. If they finish third with NO All-conference players then Purnell better be COY...

There is definitely a bias towards top teams on these lists and if Clemson locks up third they should benefit from this since they have probably suffered from this in most years.