Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    How illogical. If we were so mentally fragile that a one-possession RS loss would cause that, then we wouldn't have much of a shot in the NCAAs anyway...
    In case you didn't notice, there's a big difference between winning and losing, even if the difference is only a point.

I thought the offense finally came around, but it looked, int he first half and the first part of the second half that they didn't quite know the best way to attack the zone NCSU was in. I noticed a lot of isolation and a lot of isolation. Not that that was totally bad the way we were nailing the free throws today. That saved our skins totally. We started the first half 1-11, then went 6-7 and finished up 4-14. I'm just posting my observations. The second half of the second half, we had a lot better spacing and movement. There was a lot more drawing and kicking that we're used to getting (see Scheyer driving and dishing to DMarc who backed up to the 3 line and nailed it as an example).

not to belabor the point, but either way, we need to figure out the shooting funk so we dont get caught like this in the tournament.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    My retinas were harmed by Sidney Lowe's jacket during the making of this thread.

PS 800
    LOL! I wondered if he got it at a Nolan Richardson garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    I love watching this team play. Whether they win or lose, they leave it all on the floor. And this afternoon's win was truly a gutsy performance and worthy of giving K his 800th.

Gotta say I was shocked by what was being said on snubchat. I have never heard so many negative, personal attacks on Duke players outside of IC. And, clearly, these were not trollers. I couldn't enjoy the game on snubchat. I was so disgusted by what was being said, I had to leave. Pretty sad that we can't watch a game with each other without all the b*tching.
    ITA. If it makes you feel any better, I think things improved a bit after you got disgusted and left.

Wasn't the prettiest thing ever but we got it done. I think this is a big win and I think it's the kind of win that can really set the tone for the rest of the season.

With about 8-9 minutes left, this team had their back against the wall with any chance at a 1 seed in the balance. We collectively manned up and worked through the difficulties. The fact that Krzyzewski let the team decide what to do down the stretch shows why he has 800 wins; what a coaching move.

I thought I learned a lot about this team when we came back from 9 down at Maryland and I think we learned something about this team this afternoon. Besides beating UNC, this was arguably one of the most satisfying wins of the season for me.

Big Ups to Coach K!!!

800! Phenomenal. Incredible emotion when K gave Scheyer a big hug at the end of the game. I saw Coach K get choked up in a post-game interview, crediting Coach Knight with his success. I've never been a big fan of Knight, but it's hard not to respect him with the kind of praise K was giving him.

Defense was pretty ugly tonight. And for most of the game, our shooting confidence seemed shaken. It's like whatever disease Taylor King has, has been affecting the team on-and-off for the last 5 games.

High Points: Free throw shooting. Scheyer and Nelson really delivered the win. Zoubek had some productive minutes (4 points, 3 rebounds in 8 minutes). We won! Am I missing something? 800 wins for K!

I agree about the defense. we are really overplaying the passing and the help defense steps in at the top of the circle and around the perimeter. the concern i have is that we are leaving too many people and there have been quite a few dishes by someone driving the lane on us to someone wide open. I hope it can get corrected quick.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

A w is a w is a w. But we were lucky, lucky, lucky. It also helped that State was outcoached in the last minute or so. Happy for the win, happy for Coach K''s 800th.

Exclamation The NC State postgame radio talking heads asserted...

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    i think miami exposed how to "beat" duke with their sagging 2-3 zone defense. you're right about "daring' us to win by hitting the 3. by sagging, that takes away the drive and dish and it seems like our offense really breaks down when that happens. it's as if they don't have a back up plan. dunno right now. still wrapping my brain around the ability to make the comeback.
    ...that the NC State matchup zone had its intended effect.
    Best regards.

Finish around the basket

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I thought the offense finally came around, but it looked, int he first half and the first part of the second half that they didn't quite know the best way to attack the zone NCSU was in. I noticed a lot of isolation and a lot of isolation. Not that that was totally bad the way we were nailing the free throws today. That saved our skins totally. We started the first half 1-11, then went 6-7 and finished up 4-14. I'm just posting my observations. The second half of the second half, we had a lot better spacing and movement. There was a lot more drawing and kicking that we're used to getting (see Scheyer driving and dishing to DMarc who backed up to the 3 line and nailed it as an example).

not to belabor the point, but either way, we need to figure out the shooting funk so we dont get caught like this in the tournament.
    We probably missed a dozen shots within two feet of the basket. We have to either make a good percentage of those shots or get fouled trying.

I was at this game and had pretty good seats.

A few things I noticed being there:

1) State fans are pretty uneducated about the game. Booing an offensive foul call when Paulus took an elbow to the face and bleeding? Booing the intentional foul call, which was OBVIOUS? That, and vitriol towards the refs on any and every call that went against State, legit or not.

2) There were a LOT of fouls called. The first 8 possessions had fouls called. It was a bit excessive. I thought the refs did a good job overall, though.

3) Ben McCauley is a punk. From showboating after making a layup to intentionally running through Kyle Singler at the end of the game after turning the ball over... then jawing down the court afterwards. Classless. I can't believe that no ref made a call after he ran through Singler like that.

4) NCSU fans have no loyalty. All I heard around me for the first half was lamenting about their team sucking... until they got up 8-10 points. Then it was cheer time! Not to mention the hate they were spewing regarding some of their players, like Marcus Johnson. For one, NCSU recruited him for a reason - give him time and be patient. Why wouldn't you want your young players to play and be given valuable experience and a chance to succeed?

Overall, it was fun, despite the obnoxiousness of the fans. Glad they pulled out the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Just remember that last year's team suffered a defensive breakdown late in the season, and couldn't find a way to overcome that in the ACC Tourney against NC State.
    While I'm obviously psyched about today's win, I'm a little concerned that we're suffering a bit of a defensive breakdown here at the end of the season similar to last year. I think there is a much better chance of us being knocked out of the tournament due to a bad defensive performance than due to a bad shooting night. So what gives with the defense? What can we do to step the D up a notch for March Madness?

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    So, I was at the game today and had tickets given to me by a fat cat last week; sat up a couple rows almost directly behind the State bench. Folks, that arena was HOSTILE towards our guys today and also the game was extremely physical. Duke is very, very fortunate to come back, down by at least 13 points deep into that second half, and win it. The team was elated to get this win!

Couple points:

1) Paulus was completely decked by their PG and it looked like a very bad play from what I could see. I saw it all unfold very clearly. What got me was the reaction of the fans! All were calling for Paulus's head to be chopped off and many around me were laughing at him as he lay on the floor, bleeding. I was astounded. Grown men and grown women were up and shouting expletive deleteds at Paulus!!! This was out of control and it shows how crazy many people have gotten at college basketball games the last couple years. The play was thug life at its best, Paulus was very clearly injured, badly, and many grown fans (these were not State students where I was sitting) were completely out of control with their emotions towards Duke and in particular, Paulus, today.

2) Good chats with Taylor King and also Kyle Singler today afterwards; King was business-like and we talked about how well State shot the ball today, and he was obviously well aware of the stats. I said State shot out the lights and I think they hit about 57% and he said well actually it was 54% and yeah they were lights out. Singler is a portrait. His face is scarred from all his injuries this year and he looks like a dude right out of the Friday the 13th horror movies or something like that. I told him we'd nicknamed him 'Iron Man' on the DBR and he really loved that! I took the chance to thank him for representing Duke so well and he appreciated it. He grinned the whole time we chatted and he gives you that impression that he just knows something you don't know!

3) Paulus looked totally haggard after the game and he just limped onto our bus and didn't say a word! He waved over at me and that was it. He just looked totally drained. I was so proud of him to SHUT UP THAT CROWD today with dagger after dagger. The same stupid woman who was deriding him when he was on the floor shook her head and said 'well, he plays hard and he can shoot, I gotta give it to him'.

Anyways, we needed this win and this comeback, and for Duke to hang in there and overcome all that adversity and win it, it says a lot for the team.

dth.
    Check out the current issue of SI, it addresses the current hostilities found in a lot of college arena's around the country. Several Duke references.

Angry interesting...

I know I mentioned this before about the SJU game, but I just noticed this again on the CBS telecast today. They listed UNC at 11-2 ahead of Duke at 11-2, despite the fact that Duke beat UNC head-to-head. Some mentioned that it was UNC's overall record that warranted this listing, however, again today, they listed VT at 8-6 ahead of MD at 8-6. In this case, VT has beaten MD twice, but MD is 18-11 overall, while VT is 17-11. So, they're listing VT ahead of MD despite MD having a better overall record based on VT winning head-to-head, but they're listing UNC ahead of Duke by better overall record despite Duke being ahead on head-to-head results. Seems a little conveniently inconsistent to me. Just bugs me, I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I love your new avatar.
    I'll share my bud light with you now

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I know I mentioned this before about the SJU game, but I just noticed this again on the CBS telecast today. They listed UNC at 11-2 ahead of Duke at 11-2, despite the fact that Duke beat UNC head-to-head. Some mentioned that it was UNC's overall record that warranted this listing, however, again today, they listed VT at 8-6 ahead of MD at 8-6. In this case, VT has beaten MD twice, but MD is 18-11 overall, while VT is 17-11. So, they're listing VT ahead of MD despite MD having a better overall record based on VT winning head-to-head, but they're listing UNC ahead of Duke by better overall record despite Duke being ahead on head-to-head results. Seems a little conveniently inconsistent to me. Just bugs me, I guess.
    The official acc site also list unc in first place.

17. Awesome!!!

My son, Grant, and I were jumping up and down and double high-fiving! And my 10-month old, Quin was gripping his little Duke basketball and squealing with glee as his family and Devils were all pumped with victory!

It was a grueling game to watch. It seemed that State couldn't miss and Duke couldn't hit. Thank goodness for a solid effort from the line to give us a shot at winning down the stretch. I am gaining a lot of confidence in DeMarcus's ability to will his team to victory and that quality will be huge come Tourney time!

GO DUKE!!!

And as was mentioned when you mentioned it before, the material for an in-game graphic probably isn't heavily scrutinized for tiebreaker consistency. I've seen worse mistakes than that in graphics.

Moreover, it's not the type of thing that really matters anyway. If we somehow wind up in a tie with UNC (looking unlikely), we'll most likely get the tiebreaker, because it looks like Maryland will wind up ahead of Wake. But ultimately, the graphic at the end of the season is all that will matter.

For the record, if i ever complain that the refs game the opponent's team the game again...shoot me.

The way NC State fans are I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about that on their board makes me want to throw up. 4 of every 5 fans think the refs cost em the game, whereas only 1 of every 5 posts is logical and addresses their failures in the game.

Morons.

EDIT: The best part is that anyone who says "Oh that wasn't a foul by duke against us" gets quoted in a question asking for a ban.
    Last edited by loran16; 03-02-2008 at 08:45 AM.

The logic of that is, after the conference record they look to the overall record, to determine the standing. UNC has one less losses than Duke. That gives UNC a better overall winning percenage. The DBR ACC Roundup table, referenced on the home page, lists UNC ahead of Duke for this reason, as well.