Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB v NCSU post-game thread

My retinas were harmed by Sidney Lowe's jacket during the making of this thread.

PS 800

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Never a doubt!

huge win...HUGE!!! huge for confidence, huge for 1 seed, just a HUGE win

I'm still shaking!!!!

Talk about getting 800 in style!

What a win!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Coach K on his 800th, and what a way to earn it.

I think this win was H-U-G-E for the team. Had they lost I could have seen us spiraling out of control and looking at an earlier than planned exit from the tourney. This helps confidence and keeps us on top of the ACC (tied, to be technical), in my opinion.

Gary

toughness

I do think it's helpful to have a win like this late--coming back from behind and holding on at the end. That seems to epitomize this team--figuring out a way to win no matter what. Congrats on 800 Coach K!

:D

Awesome win for the team.

Builds confidence in their toughness! And it's K's 800th!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I think this win was H-U-G-E for the team. Had they lost I could have seen us spiraling out of control and looking at an earlier than planned exit from the tourney. This helps confidence and keeps us on top of the ACC (tied, to be technical), in my opinion.
    How illogical. If we were so mentally fragile that a one-possession RS loss would cause that, then we wouldn't have much of a shot in the NCAAs anyway. Or have made it this far in the RS in a tie for 1st.

This team is tough.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Never a doubt!
    I'm an emtional wreck after watching this game. Tough guys came through when it counted. The 5 guys on the floor at the end are super tough. State played their very best, yet in the end, Duke showed the determination to get it done.

I loved Scheyer's game, but Nelson also was great making his freee throws at the end. Paulus played well as did Henderson. Not one of Singler's best but he is so versitile he just keeps making plays.

I would have liked more of Zoubek against McCauley. He seemed to be the only one to be able to rebound and to offer more resistence against the inside game of State.

Why no timeout

Lowe had 2 timeouts to work with, why not take one just off the rebound? Breathtaking; this old heart can't take too many more of these.

I was screaming at DeMarcus most of this game. He played a HUGE role in the comeback and you gotta love that he never gave up, even when playing pretty poorly.

800 hundred and counting!!!

NC State played one of their best games of the year and really challenged Duke today.... not a surprise really (Senior Day, playing Duke). Our team struggled, but when it counted at the end the guys were able to control the clock and hold on to the lead. This one goes into the record book as a W!

I agree on the confidence thing. Clutch plays towards the end; both FTs and 3-point shots. Confidence can be fragile in a young team and this type of victory, when it's about making plays at the end, will do them wonders.

Congrats to the best coach in college basketball!!

I just threw up

My body cant take it

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    How illogical.
    Whatever. I said it was my opinion, so feel free to belittle it all you want. But many of these players were on last year's team, and that team did have a poor second half to the season. I just think it was critical that they get this one.

Gary

Amazing comeback

Last year, this team folds. What a great win - Nelson put us on his back at the end of the game. Scheyer with his usual all-around brilliance. Singler, Paulus and Henderson just kept making big plays. Despite State's bigs, our smaller lineup played tremendously. We were better off without Zoubek in the second half- he just does not have the strength and quickness now to defend in the post or finish in traffic.

Great confidence boost heading into the final 2 games. Congrats to K on his 800th.

Gee Dee..

GD what a game!!
    wow... just when I was feeling sorry for myself and conceeding the loss mentally... We gut it out and win. GD!

Wow couldnt be more thrilled at this moment with the team.

PS:
    How DARE State find a heart a play us with fierce emotion and passion like that. They roll over over and dry up for the heels but fight us like men possessed. Bah! They should bring more often that every 3rd game.

WE BLOODY <insert profanity here> WIN!

Okay, now that i got this out of my system....

K we played a terrible game with a bad team.

The Good:
    Not much here. Well we were incredible on the line, and managed to win despite them nailing 25-29 FTs (a rediculous number). Despite the large amount of foul shots, none of our players fouled out. And we made a few clutch 3s and clutch Free Throws down the last 2 minutes.

The Bad
    A lot. Before UNC we were a top 4 defensive team in the nation. And our D is still ranked 6th in the Ken Pom ratings. Still, 85 to NC State is unacceptable. I understand that if they shot like a normal team on Free throws, they'd have scored maybe 80. Which is still way too much. They had a way too easy time at bits getting easy baskets, finding open men (due to Double Teams) under the basket, etc. etc.

Truely sloppy.

---------------------------

All in all, i almost had a heart attack. We need to regroup. We did not look like a team deserving to play in the NCAA Tournament for most of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Whatever. I said it was my opinion, so feel free to belittle it all you want. But many of these players were on last year's team, and that team did have a poor second half to the season. I just think it was critical that they get this one.

Gary
    Totally agree...there is a huge difference in mental state between "we've lost 3 of our last 4 acc games" and "we just came back from 11 down to win coach k's 800 on the road"