1. Florida a 3-Peat?

The year they won their first title they were not ranked in the preseason polls and eventually cracked the top 25 and, of course, went on to win it all. This year they were not ranked in the preseason polls but have managed to spend a few weeks in the top 25. I don't think anyone would pick Florida, but wow, wouldn't it really suck for them to win three in a row! Anything can happen.

Are you Kidding

They may not even make the tourny, their RPI stinks and the SEC is pathetic...

If they win it all, I will run naked from Colorado Springs all the way to Gainesville and kiss billy D on the mouth.

Talking Now,TDT, you are about to get a certain mod ...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    The year they won their first title they were not ranked in the preseason polls and eventually cracked the top 25 and, of course, went on to win it all. This year they were not ranked in the preseason polls but have managed to spend a few weeks in the top 25. I don't think anyone would pick Florida, but wow, wouldn't it really suck for them to win three in a row! Anything can happen.
    ...from the Sunshine State excited by this Gator talk!
    Best regards.

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    They may not even make the tourny, their RPI stinks and the SEC is pathetic...

If they win it all, I will run naked from Colorado Springs all the way to Gainesville and kiss billy D on the mouth.
    If Duke doesn't win, I hope UF does so that RockyMtDevil will have to follow through on that.

The seasons are not at all similar. although it is true that florida was unranked in the 2005-2006 preseason poll, they were ranked #14 by week 2. for weeks 3-18, their rankings were: 11,10,7,5,5,5,2,2,5,8,7,10,12,17,16,11

Clearly, they were not the favorite to win the championship that year, but they were by no means a bubble team and were ranked in the top 10 for much of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    The seasons are not at all similar. although it is true that florida was unranked in the 2005-2006 preseason poll, they were ranked #14 by week 2. for weeks 3-18, their rankings were: 11,10,7,5,5,5,2,2,5,8,7,10,12,17,16,11

Clearly, they were not the favorite to win the championship that year, but they were by no means a bubble team and were ranked in the top 10 for much of the season.
    I agree with your assessment. To add to your point, that 2005-2006 team had the benefit of playing in what was probably the strangest NCAA tournament ever. The #1 seeds were either overachievers (like Duke and Villanova) or underachievers (like UConn). There were no dominant teams to contend with. Aside from UConn, everyone felt that the top seeds were extremely vulnerable . And UConn's rep was based largely on names, not performance. They were very susceptible to lazy play, hence they eventually got upset.

In that tournament, UF had to play an undersized, overachieving team that was a very poor matchup against the Gators (Villanova), a #12 seed that was scrappy but overmatched (George Mason), and a #2 seed that was undersized and couldn't score (UCLA). I'm not saying that UCLA or Villanova were bad teams - they were very good. I'm just saying that UF's size and depth exploited the weaknesses of those two teams. This year, there is a clear pecking order at the top, with 6-7 teams clearly ahead of the rest. It's very unlikely that this less talented UF team could have a similarly favorable path.

They have about as much chance as Colorado.

8. Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree with your assessment. To add to your point, that 2005-2006 team had the benefit of playing in what was probably the strangest NCAA tournament ever. The #1 seeds were either overachievers (like Duke and Villanova) or underachievers (like UConn). There were no dominant teams to contend with. Aside from UConn, everyone felt that the top seeds were extremely vulnerable . And UConn's rep was based largely on names, not performance. They were very susceptible to lazy play, hence they eventually got upset.

In that tournament, UF had to play an undersized, overachieving team that was a very poor matchup against the Gators (Villanova), a #12 seed that was scrappy but overmatched (George Mason), and a #2 seed that was undersized and couldn't score (UCLA). I'm not saying that UCLA or Villanova were bad teams - they were very good. I'm just saying that UF's size and depth exploited the weaknesses of those two teams. This year, there is a clear pecking order at the top, with 6-7 teams clearly ahead of the rest. It's very unlikely that this less talented UF team could have a similarly favorable path.
    Awesome insight. I am breathing easier already!

Those teams had a little bit more talent to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    a #12 seed that was scrappy but overmatched (George Mason).
    George Mason = 11 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    George Mason = 11 seed.
    Oops! Thanks for the correction. The main point about GMU still stands, though.

This is funny.

Billy Donovan

If it happened, Donovan would be elevated to be a GOD of college bball coaches- and his team would be the odds all favorite to win it all for the next couple of years since no on their team would be leaving. Of course, worse than this is for UNC to win it all with a gimpy Lawson and for Hansblah and company to stay one more year. If Lawson is not 100% he will have to come back and Hansblah is likely to stay simply to break every record at UNC, win another NC and by doing so and be elevated to a GOD in Chapel Hill- to the point that they will construct a 50 ft statue of him and place it in front of the Dean Dome. So, neither of these events CAN happen- or it will change college bball forever.