Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We have a lot of very loyal students.

Duke University's biggest home game takes place a day after the start of arguably the most important time in the life of an undergraduate, SPRING BREAK. Many have posponed the stat of their much needed and well deserved vacation until Sunday. Hats off to these true fans. Nice planning Duke.

I wouldn't say it's Duke as much as the ACC and the schedule makers. It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's Duke as much as the ACC and the schedule makers. It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.
    If I recall correctly, I remember this also being the case 4 years ago (not the last time the Duke v. UNC game at Cameron was the last game of the season, but the time before that (2004)). So, it must not be all that uncommon. It's just that the last game rotates between Cameron and Dean Dome, so it probably happens ~50% of the time when it's in Cameron, so 25% of the years. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    If I recall correctly, I remember this also being the case 4 years ago (not the last time the Duke v. UNC game at Cameron was the last game of the season, but the time before that (2004)). So, it must not be all that uncommon. It's just that the last game rotates between Cameron and Dean Dome, so it probably happens ~50% of the time when it's in Cameron, so 25% of the years. But I could be wrong.
    I was at Duke in 2004. The unc home game definitely didn't fall during spring break then.
    This year's calendar sure is weird...the ACC final on the 16th? National final April 7? The St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week thing is causing some havoc, too.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I was at Duke in 2004. The unc home game definitely didn't fall during spring break then.
    This year's calendar sure is weird...the ACC final on the 16th? National final April 7? The St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week thing is causing some havoc, too.
    I beg to differ. I was at that game and it was definitely the first Saturday of spring break. That being said, it really wasn't that huge of a deal and in many ways made it more fun. Since no one had any work to care about, Friday night was a great time.

Usually spring break starts on ACC Tournament weekend. (That was in fact what I did for break every year. That's the time of year it starts to turn consistently nice in NC, so who needs Florida?)

Also, as alluded to previously, Easter falls on the second or third-earliest possible day. Throw in that daylight saving time starts next week too, which still seems weird. And finally, today is February 29! Who knew time could be so aberrational?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    You are incorrect and I did recall it correctly, apparently.

See http://www.registrar.duke.edu/regist...cacad2004.html (spring break started March 5) and http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=2003-04 (game was on March 6).

I agree that it wasn't that big of a deal, and I kind of enjoyed it since nobody had to worry about work. Staying one extra day isn't the biggest sacrifice.

I believe that spring break got pulled in a week relative to the NCAA tournament in 2003. So in 2002, the ACC tournament coincided with the beginning of spring break. In 2003, it coincided with the end of spring break... and freshman J.J. torching State in second half.

So in recent history, 2004 (my senior year) was the first year we had to stay behind to see the Carolina game. How could we not for the seniors' last game?

Edit: Sorry to repeat... I started my post and got distracted by work.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.
    I was thinking the same thing. And it seems that the ACC Tourney is a week deeper into March as well.

I couldn't think of a better way to kick off my spring break!

In 1997, Duke played Providence in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament on the first Saturday (Sunday, maybe?) of Spring Break. I remember being in a car trying to listen to a fading AM radio broadcast of the game, and not knowing that we had lost until we got to our destination.

So yeah, the scheduling is way off from what it used to be.

I think this happens every once in a while. For example the one Duke-UNC game that I went to @ the Dome with Throaty (2003??) was on UNC's first weekend of spring break and thus made it reasonably easy for use to scalp tickets.

That was the game in which one Mr. Buckner had a little run in with D'Oh!

Good times.

The schedule has been shuffled this year and is longer than in previous seasons. There are some threads on it from earlier in the year... use the Search function on the tool bar at the top of your DBR screen to check it out.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    That was the game in which one Mr. Buckner had a little run in with D'Oh!

Good times.
    It was also the game when Dahntay's buzzer beater from half court was waived off, thus breaking a six game win streak over UNC. I remember watching that with a bunch of Dukies at Panama City Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    It was also the game when Dahntay's buzzer beater from half court was waived off, thus breaking a six game win streak over UNC. I remember watching that with a bunch of Dukies at Panama City Beach.
    So true. The walk back to the car sucked.

IIRC, the shot wasn't even close to being off in time.
    WWJDD?

IIRC, the shot wasn't even close to being off in time.
    I think you're right. My use of buzzer beater was a misnomer.

We haven't beaten Carolina in Cameron since JJ Redick read Carolina's final play and the holes didn't get off a final shot for the win. That was a good one, but I think it is about time for another W. The crazies should be in even greater form this year since they will have all day Saturday to prepare without a care in the world!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    I beg to differ. I was at that game and it was definitely the first Saturday of spring break. That being said, it really wasn't that huge of a deal and in many ways made it more fun. Since no one had any work to care about, Friday night was a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You are incorrect and I did recall it correctly, apparently.

See http://www.registrar.duke.edu/regist...cacad2004.html (spring break started March 5) and http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=2003-04 (game was on March 6).

I agree that it wasn't that big of a deal, and I kind of enjoyed it since nobody had to worry about work. Staying one extra day isn't the biggest sacrifice.
    Wow...I must have been drunker than I thought. I recall the trip I was on, but I can't for the life of me remember where we watched the game. Yikes.

Spring Break/NCAAT

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. And it seems that the ACC Tourney is a week deeper into March as well.
    In 1994 I remember the NCAA tournament being during Spring Break and it was the same week as St. Patrick's Day.

I remember it clearly because we rented a house in Amelia Island, FL that summer and it SNOWED on the beach. Needless to say we watched a lot of hoops and drank a lot of green beer.

Gooch T'94

I remember the 2004 game. Tons of students did stick around (I think about 100 tents and what seemed like a ton of people from the walk-up line) even though it was the first Saturday of spring break. Only problem was, come 5 o'clock Friday evening, almost every dining place on campus closed for spring break. Pauly Dogs was open, though, and came out to K-ville and probably made a FORTUNE with the at first captive, hungry audience, and later the captive drunk audience. It was definitely nice to have time after the game to recover from tenting instead of getting thrown right back into the grind.

I think this happens every once in a while. For example the one Duke-UNC game that I went to @ the Dome with Throaty (2003??) was on UNC's first weekend of spring break and thus made it reasonably easy for use to scalp tickets.
    Yeah, that was 2003. Had to go over there with my UNC friend's brother's friends, but at least the let us drink half their keg. If only Dahntay had had about 0.5 longer!

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine