Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bob Knight Hired at ESPN

wow

Now that's ironic. Bob Knight has busted on ESPN and "journalists" in general for years. Now he's joining ESPN on a short-term gig to work with "journalists"?!?!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-29-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: removed deleted quote

I wouldn't be surprised if he chokes Gottlieb at some point.

Another reason (add it to the long list) to dislike ESPN.
    ~rthomas

Watch out for the chair!

We'll see if he can remain seated to do the commentary...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    We'll see if he can remain seated to do the commentary...
    He won't if he sees Jeremy Schapp coming (Knight walked out on Jeremy during an interview).

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    now that would make it a good hire.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

D'ya think Stu Scott will do a 'Boo-Yah' in Knight's presence?
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-29-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: removed deleted quote

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    D'ya think Stu Scott will do a 'Boo-Yah' in Knight's presence?
    I'd give good money to see that play out!

If (and it's a big if) Knight can resist the baitings he'll get from clowns like Gottlieb, etc., he could be great in this kind of role.

He still knows a tremendous amount about the game, and we could actually learn some things if he's set up properly. He will also have no problem digging into the officiating, which someone needs to do. There are three teams on the floor in every game, and only two get dissected and analyzed. Across the board, officiating is so bad it's at a crisis level.

My fear is that ESPN, seeking the usual sensationalism, will try to incite him for a blowup and more press. I hope Knight is smart enough to see it coming and that he sticks to game analysis.

dukemsu

How is Stuart Scott's health? I haven't heard any updates on that in a while.

RMK as studio analyst could be potentially interesting. Probably would bring a lot of "tell it like it is" schtick.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I bet he knows all about front court-back court, and what a foul is. That will be a big improvement over some recent experiences.

neat-o!!

Can he and Bill Walton do a couple of games together?
    So what if they are both analysts... I bet the 2 of these guys together would be fab doing a game.

Players perspective vs: Coaches perspective... reverence for the history of the game with geo-political bits sprinkled in.

I wish Walton would do more college games.

<i>I hope Knight is smart enough to see it coming and that he sticks to game analysis.</i>

All his life Mr. Knight has let his temper rule his actions. Is there any reason to believe that he has mellowed in his old age?

He was on Mike and Mike this morning and pretty much shut Greenberg down when he was asked about the IU situation. Greenberg later compared to being told by his wife "This argument is over". Funny stuff.

I thought he was hired to be a studio analyst? I didn't think he'd be doing any actual games. He should be fine in the studio as long as no one intentionally baits him, which would be stupid anyways. I imagine that some of the "analysis" that occurs from guys like Gottlieb will irk him, but that should actually make for good TV.

This should be fun to watch

I hope Bob gets the same treatment that he has given reporters over the years. But love him or hate him it is always fun to watch

Like him or dislike him, the man knows his basketball. Hopefully he'll be a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Another reason (add it to the long list) to dislike ESPN.
    I disagree. This is going to be fun! Sparks WILL fly at some point! What, you'd rather watch the anthopomorphic basketball (aka Clark Kellogg) on cbs?

Also, we can be reasonably sure Knight will be pro-Duke and pro-K.

Over-under on number of days until Knight is fired: 24 (the Monday after the first weekend of the Tournament)

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    He and Gottlieb's old man played together as freshmen at Ohio State. He's definitely gonna choke him.

Knight on ESPN

I know it's only been one night so far, but I'm rather impressed with Knight in his analyst role. Some thoughts:

1. Shockingly, ESPN seems to be utilizing Knight well, letting him actually analyze and inform on the games being played and some overriding issues (like the expansion of the tournament). In no way is he being set up for an eruption, which I feared.

2. He's funny. Not surprising, given his intellect. Many of his jokes come at the expense of his pal Digger, which is fine by me. If ever there was a man screaming out to be made fun of, it's Phelps.

3. More than anything, he seems to be enjoying himself. He's smiling and looking comfortable. He hasn't looked like that on a sideline, since, wow, the Cheaney-era Hoosiers. His posture isn't the best, but I can't blame a director for not wanting to be the person to tell the General to sit up straight.
    But it is good to see this guy happy, as he certainly has appeared to be so (in public) for eons.

It's only the first day, and Knight is certainly capable of turning this into a disaster. But it's been enjoyable so far.

Anyone else have any thoughts here?