Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ozzie or others, in years past, hasn't the Devil been a woman at times?
    "Dean Sue" was the Devil for at least a year in the late '80's. She was Dean of student life (or something like that). IIRC, there was a minor flare-up that year because something she had on her headband was deemed offensive by someone. I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point.

Can I make a suggestion?

Could someone re-title this thread to "Blue Devil MASCOT Injury"? I almost barfed when I saw the thread this morning on the list. I just finished reading the Zoubek article linked on the front page and so when I saw the title of this, I was like, "oh no, not AGAIN".

Seriously, I hope the MASCOT is going to be ok and it's nothing more serious than a sprain.

Headband

The mascot's headband messages are written on white tape which are removed after the game and are taped to the wall of an obscure storage room under Card gym where the band also stores instruments. It is quite bizarre to see hundreds of messages covering the walls. OOps...maybe this was supposed to be secret! It might make for an interesting Chronicle article though. Could be an interesting trivia game to match the phrases with the games!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I would LOVE to see a photo of that wall...

Wink More fun with Roy

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    It appeared he "wiped out" and landed wrong on his knee, but the UNC fans are saying that nobobdy truly knows since we don't publish our injuries.
    As Roy would say, "Dadgumit!"

"you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though."

Can't believe it took this long for someone to say "that's what she said"

The kid who was injured is a freshman who is in my fraternity. He tore his ACL and is on crutches right now. He's actually pretty depressed that he can't jump around and be a Crazie or a mascot for the game next week.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDster View Post
    The kid who was injured is a freshman who is in my fraternity. He tore his ACL and is on crutches right now. He's actually pretty depressed that he can't jump around and be a Crazie or a mascot for the game next week.
    Please let him know that we're wishing him a speedy recovery.

GO DUKE!!!

He's in my dorm, and I'm echoing this. He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus. ESPN are a bunch of douchebags for saying the name of any mascot (to be honest - the school telling ESPN makes me wonder what they were thinking, too, but ESPN was just idiotic)

Oh, poor kid! I hope he at least gets a good seat for the 'holes game. That's a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    The mascot's headband messages are written on white tape which are removed after the game and are taped to the wall of an obscure storage room under Card gym where the band also stores instruments. It is quite bizarre to see hundreds of messages covering the walls. OOps...maybe this was supposed to be secret! It might make for an interesting Chronicle article though. Could be an interesting trivia game to match the phrases with the games!
    It truly is a sight to behold.

I still recall one late night in K'Ville, wandering into Cameron and stumbling upon that treasure trove of devilish quips.

The best one, of course, was simple: "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell."

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus.
    uhm. What's the concern? Is being the Devil shameful? Do people believe the Blue Devil to be a real person? I thought it was a nice touch to mention that the kid had a name.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    He's in my dorm, and I'm echoing this. He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus. ESPN are a bunch of douchebags for saying the name of any mascot (to be honest - the school telling ESPN makes me wonder what they were thinking, too, but ESPN was just idiotic)
    Are you being serious...?

Sending best wishes to the Blue Devil, whoever he is, that he has a speedy recovery.

P.S. Tell him I used the picture I had taken with him for my Christmas card, and it went over really well. The card was delivered to State, Karowhina, and BC fans. heh heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Are you being serious...?
    At least in my day, the real identity of the Blue Devil was kept a loosely guarded secret, kinda like Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent, which is why I only used Jeff's first name in my earlier post. I did not hear the name mentioned, I watch time delay on TiVo and skip the inane commentary when the ball is dead.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland