Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Devil Mascot Injury

This may have appeared elsewhere, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know what happened to the first-half Blue Devil last night? The Devil apparently hurt a leg/ankle/foot at the end of the surfing and had to be helped off by two security people... it looked bad.

Couldn't see from my seat, however, exactly what happened or, more importantly, if the Devil is OK. I certainly hope so.

Go Devils!
    Last edited by Carlos; 02-29-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Avoid angst over suspected player injury
    DukeDevilDeb

On TV....

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post

Does anyone know what happened to the first-half Blue Devil last night? The Devil apparently hurt a leg/ankle/foot at the end of the surfing and had to be helped off by two security people... it looked bad.

Couldn't see from my seat, however, exactly what happened or, more importantly, if the Devil is OK. I certainly hope so.

Go Devils!
    It appeared he "wiped out" and landed wrong on his knee, but the UNC fans are saying that nobobdy truly knows since we don't publish our injuries.

The sideline announcer last night indicated that it was a sprained knee.

I hope The Blue Devil heals quickly!

Who makes up the funny quotes on his headband? Him or someone else?

There's a video of the injury on 850 the blog

Is there a doctor in the house?

It's surprising that there aren't more such injuries among college mascots.

When the Blue Devil was assisted to the area alongside the band, I was looking to see if Dr. Tee Moorman was nearby as he often is. ... Dr. Moorman heads the Sports Medicine Clinic; his specialties include shoulders and knees. Whatever treatment may be needed, the Duke Sports Medicine Clinic is among the best in the country.

The headband writing was really kicked off in earnest in the late 80's (1986-88 time period) when a buddy of mine who goes by the name of Jeff was the Blue Devil. He was from Chicago, and a huge Bears fan. Da Bears had a quarterback who went by the name of Jim McMahon who liked to wear white headbands with messages on them (and they made a really really bad 'rap' video, the Superbowl Shuffle) after he was told not to wear the one he liked, which had an Adidas logo, since Adidas was not a sponsor, or some such nonsense.

Jeff wrote his own messages on the headband.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    It appeared he "wiped out" and landed wrong on his knee, but the UNC fans are saying that nobobdy truly knows since we don't publish our injuries.

That's actually pretty funny.

Hope the kid's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The sideline announcer last night indicated that it was a sprained knee.

I hope The Blue Devil heals quickly!
    While I join you in wishing the individual in particular well, he/she fortunately has a few fellow mascots so the cheering duties won't fall entirely to the cheerleaders during the healing process.

Has anyone here ever "rented" the devil?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
    The headband writing was really kicked off in earnest in the late 80's (1986-88 time period) when a buddy of mine who goes by the name of Jeff was the Blue Devil. He was from Chicago, and a huge Bears fan. Da Bears had a quarterback who went by the name of Jim McMahon who liked to wear white headbands with messages on them (and they made a really really bad 'rap' video, the Superbowl Shuffle) after he was told not to wear the one he liked, which had an Adidas logo, since Adidas was not a sponsor, or some such nonsense.

Jeff wrote his own messages on the headband.
    Thanks! Thats a great piece of trivia!

Go Devils!
    It was jersey #2 Blue Devil who went down with the knee injury. After half time, #50 subbed for him/her.

I wish the injured Devil the best and a speedy recovery, but whoever is #50 is definitely the "first string" Devil. He is a far superior surfer, dancer, performer to the other one.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Let's not get dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It was jersey #2 Blue Devil who went down with the knee injury. After half time, #50 subbed for him/her.

I wish the injured Devil the best and a speedy recovery, but whoever is #50 is definitely the "first string" Devil. He is a far superior surfer, dancer, performer to the other one.
    Ozzie or others, in years past, hasn't the Devil been a woman at times?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Let's not get dirty...
    Haha I thought that myself, but I didn't know how else to word it. Heck, that's what it says on the website! ;-)

Yes, the Devil was a woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ozzie or others, in years past, hasn't the Devil been a woman at times?
    I have had several Devils in my classes over the years, some of whom have been women... you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though.

#50 is the first half Devil; #2 is the second half Devil. I agree that the first half Devil is more creative and limber than the other.

That said, GTH,C
    DukeDevilDeb

I have had several Devils in my classes over the years, some of whom have been women... you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though.

#50 is the first half Devil; #2 is the second half Devil. I agree that the first half Devil is more creative and limber than the other.

That said, GTH,C

You know, I have been going to games for years and have never noticed there were two Devils or their particular numbers. Instead, I have been looking at the cheerleaders. What's wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Who makes up the funny quotes on his headband? Him or someone else?
    I believe the devil makes the quotes. I know this because my roomate tried out for the spot a few years ago, and as part of the tryout, he had to come up with some potential taglines for other ACC teams.

Overall, he said the hardest part of the tryouts was balancing the devil's head while dancing so that it didn't fall off.

Rent?

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Rent? Hell I was married to her for five years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Rent? Hell I was married to her for five years!!
    So, in a way, you did rent her. Well, five years is more of a lease than a rental period.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com