Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke MBB v GA Tech post-game thread

Len Elmore was not harmed in the making of this thread.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

To follow up...

on a previous post from the in-game thread, Mike Patrick "thinks Len Elmore is an idiot" because Mike Patrick IS an idiot.

But yes, Len doesn't seem quite impartial in matters Duke-related.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Should he have been? J/k.. Although that was difficult to liston to at times.

Causey, Hope he see's a DR soon.

Will take a 13 point win after shooting 2-16 from 3. Excellent defense for the most part. Have to believe that was Hendersons best defensive game or at lesat right up there.

Paulus looked lost at times.. I dont know. I harp on the kid alot. So im sorry. I just expect alot I guess. GO PAULUS

Henderson...

Loved the way Henderson played.
    Kudos to the team to get a win in a game that was so physical.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    on a previous post from the in-game thread, Mike Patrick "thinks Len Elmore is an idiot" because Mike Patrick IS an idiot.

But yes, Len doesn't seem quite impartial in matters Duke-related.
    Paulus has worked so hard at becoming a better player. Mike Patrick told me so 5 or 6 times this game and the last game and the last game too.
    ~rthomas

Gutty effort on a night when the shots weren't falling. The physical nature of the game was not captured in the foul calls - I felt there was a lot more fouling than was called. Player of the game for me was Henderson - he made a lot of plays on the defensive end when we needed to silence Ga Tech, and had some nice moments offensively.

And the "debate" by Elmore and Patrick about what is actually an over-and-back violation was absurd. For one thing, when they actually got to the rulebook, the rulebook clearly stated that the ball isn't considered in the frontcourt until the ball and both feet are across the line. That should have clearly answered the question (and proven Patrick right, for whatever that's worth). But after reading it, neither seemed to get it. Or maybe Elmore got it and didn't want to admit he was wrong (and Patrick just wasn't smart enough to understand it). Yet they kept yapping about it for 5 minutes or so, even though they both agreed that the actual play wasn't an over-and-back. Sheesh.

We survived Ga Tech's physical play. On to the weekend.

Best defensive performance this year as a team. Scheyer and Henderson were especially tough on D.

GTech only got 3 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Paulus has worked so hard at becoming a better player. Mike Patrick told me so 5 or 6 times this game and the last game and the last game too.
    What do you think Coach K and Coach Hewitt were chatting about there at the end of the game?

Coach K: Good game, Paul. Who do you think is worse, Mike Patrick or Len Elmore?

Coach Hewitt: Digger Phelps.

commentators suck

Great game by Henderson. Nice to see him adjusting to the wrist injury by taking fewer jump shots and using his athleticism to score and play defense.

Patrick and Elmore were painful... particularly the debate about crossing halfcourt, completely not being able to wrap their minds around the fact that their argument was about a hypothetical and not what happened in the game.

Nice effort by the team on a night when the 3 was not going down.

A win is a win

Duke struggled tonight but what really showed is why they need Henderson to play well. His athleticism and defense/rebounding is key to a successful run. He looked much better today. Perhaps the wrist is healing. Duke will shoot better than tonight- but fortunately this was a home game. The D was pretty good is stretches but Duke still gives up a lot of inside points - here again the strong rebounding of Henderson is big. Paulus played well in the second half- a good team win against a pretty physical team. Two road games in a row with unpredictable teams. State has been struggling of late but will be up for this one. Virgina is playing well of late and seniors tend to play very well when they realize their college careers are coming to an end. Expect some tough games.

If you finish a game with Georgia Tech with a win and no new injuries, it's a good night.

It was a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Best defensive performance this year as a team. Scheyer and Henderson were especially tough on D.

GTech only got 3 assists.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Also, we didn't stop playing defense till we got the ball, so we were hustling for loose balls and tips, and really crashing the boards.

Best wishes to a full recovery for the Blue Devil!

I was very happy with the effort. Some games, the 3s will not fall - you have to make up for that with good decisions and great defense, which we did tonight.

Henderson had a great all-around game, including a few that won't show up on the stat sheet.

Great game by Henderson. Nice to see him adjusting to the wrist injury by taking fewer jump shots and using his athleticism to score and play defense.
    I'd like him to take more pull-up shots off his drives, though I agree I wasn't ecstatic seeing all those 3s recently. He showed a couple times tonight that he can get open for a mid-range jumper, and clearly - based on his free throws recently and hitting that open shot - he can still hit it. I just wish he'd take that when it's there. He was more assertive tonight than he has been, but still not at pre-injury level in that regard. Still, definitely an encouraging effort by him on offense and defense.

Duke-gt

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    but he should have been...

Ugly game. We really didn't seem "on," but still a good win. Being at home and having the crowd certainly did help. And the defense was a strong point although GaTech didn't do themselves any favors with missed easy shots. We can't count on teams missing so many close ones. On our side, the shooting will come, but for me the most encouraging sign was to see G string together 2 good games. We really need him to be in on for us to have a good run in March. He was the most dominant force on our team tonight and that's very refreshing to see.

Other thoughts: Nelson is still getting his but hasn't been asserting his will on the game as much recently.
    -Singler seems to be struggling a bit recently. Hopefully it's a hump and he'll rebound. Not that he's playing poorly by any means, but he also has not been as effective as he can be.
    -Same old dependable contribution from Scheyer. It's so easy to take him for granted, but he really does all the little things we need.
    -All in all I'm happy we won but don't feel overly satisfied. A win's a win, but we still have a long way to go to be back in top form for the tourney.

Finally, MOTM (or should it be WOTM) should go to Stacey Dale (the sideline reporter) for finally telling Mike and Len to shut up. I think I speak for most of America in saying that her contribution was greatly appreciated.

Well I guess we can win a game without hitting many 3's! Man I hope our guys can re-find their shooting touch, 2-16 3's is really bad! On the plus side we only turned the ball over 8 times but caused 20.

) Go Henderson - Duke is so much better when Henderson is aggressive

) GLAD to hear the announcers (Len) harp on the refs for not calling more fouls in general - too much rough play allowed in the whole league. I wish they would do like Len said and call a couple of quick fouls early and shut down play that could possibly hurt someone

Did Lenny really say that?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    ) Go Henderson - Duke is so much better when Henderson is aggressive

) GLAD to hear the announcers (Len) harp on the refs for not calling more fouls in general - too much rough play allowed in the whole league. I wish they would do like Len said and call a couple of quick fouls early and shut down play that could possibly hurt someone
    Cuz...I didn't hear that. I heard him harping about the eternal block/charge conundrum but my impression was that Lenny was more interested in giving the impression that Duke was getting most (if not all the calls), or at least, the KEY calls in the game. There was a foul discrepancy and a discrepancy in the number of FT's taken, but I really thought is was because Duke was aggressively attacking the basket and drawing a lot more fouls - in particular, more shooting fouls than GT.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    )

I think tonight showed that Len Elmore is not qualified to harp on the officiating in any game. He does not understand the definitions of the rules and how they are supposed to be called.