Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    And from Julio's Spring Cleaning Thread:

"We have also instructed our moderators to delete posts (aggressively, if warranted) that they don’t think add meaningful content to the board. We're adding a mild infraction, "needless posting" (1 point, expires in 14 days), for posts wholly without redeeming qualities that don't rise to a more serious infraction. It's okay to say you agree with somebody, but if you're not adding something that advances the conversation, please don't post it."

Would that be a point Jumbo?
    Cute. (Note that it was on Feb. 27th.) In all seriousness, that's one of the trickier things to moderate. If you've been in a back-and-forth discussion, I wouldn't have any problem with anyone writing something like that. Through conversations with other moderators, I think that the idea was more about people popping into the convo for the first time simply to say, "I agree." But I could be wrong. I don't expect to hand much out for that -- there are WAY bigger problems with posts to deal with!

I was sitting at the kitchen table eating lunch about an hour ago. ESPN2 was on the small kitchen TV when all of a sudden, there was Mulletman, as plain as day, being interviewed about Speedo Guy. Then, Speedo guy came on and told his story, and Jackie Manuel told his. They put on the video, all of it. It was as good as the day it happened. Mrs. Speedo guy told how she switched brothers after it happened, and married him. Speedo guy is now a pastor in Tennessee. I did not react fast enough to get it on the dvr. I couldn't find a link to that item on ESPN2, but I would like to get it, so I can replace that rather grainy mpeg that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I was sitting at the kitchen table eating lunch about an hour ago. ESPN2 was on the small kitchen TV when all of a sudden, there was Mulletman, as plain as day, being interviewed about Speedo Guy. Then, Speedo guy came on and told his story, and Jackie Manuel told his. They put on the video, all of it. It was as good as the day it happened. Mrs. Speedo guy told how she switched brothers after it happened, and married him. Speedo guy is now a pastor in Tennessee. I did not react fast enough to get it on the dvr. I couldn't find a link to that item on ESPN2, but I would like to get it, so I can replace that rather grainy mpeg that I have.
    I believe the segment will run again during the 8pm ET college gameday.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Thumbs up Gameday Feature

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I believe the segment will run again during the 8pm ET college gameday.
    It's supposed to. It was priceless cinema verite (or film noire). They deserve an ESPY. Mullet, Viking, and Speedo, in all their glory (so to speak).

Now all we need is Lederhosen Guy!

I saw it on ESPN2 with Gottlieb talking afterwards; Gottlieb was wearing a Tar Heel-colored tie.

Congrats on the piece!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

they just ran the piece during sportscenter, about 7:45 pm eastern. it brought tears to my eyes. i'm a sucker for nostalgia.

It just aired on SportsCenter, absolutley hilaroius. Can't wait to see what the Crazies have planned for tonight.

I belive it will re-air on GameDay at 8pm.

Ugh

Whoever did the Speedo tonight was shameful. Not only was it sad to do it after all the ESPN hype about the original, but the 'dance' that he did was grossly inappropriate.

It embarrassed me as someone who stood in the grad student section and cheered our team on.

Exiled

ESPN did not have to show that guy in the first place

What about Crazy Towel Guy? They should do something on him. Where can I see that segment on Speedo guy?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan assassin View Post
    What about Crazy Towel Guy? They should do something on him. Where can I see that segment on Speedo guy?
    About every 3 years, I would guess. I think I saw a segment on him in '01, and again in '04 probably. So we should be due.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan assassin View Post
    There's a really good (~7min) segment on him during Fox Sports' "The Life" from 2004. Includes him going to the Duke heart center for a checkup on his bypass surgery -- rescheduled for the offseason, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Whoever did the Speedo tonight was shameful. Not only was it sad to do it after all the ESPN hype about the original, but the 'dance' that he did was grossly inappropriate.

It embarrassed me as someone who stood in the grad student section and cheered our team on.

Exiled
    I agree and ESPN even had to apologize for it. After all the good press Speedo Guy got today that guy ruined every bit of it.

crazy towel guy got abut 5 seconds of air time somewhere in the second half.

and someone should run the speedo guy imitator up a pole.

There's a really good (~7min) segment on him during Fox Sports' "The Life" from 2004. Includes him going to the Duke heart center for a checkup on his bypass surgery -- rescheduled for the offseason, of course.
    It was actually ESPN who produced The Life: Duke Basketball, but, I agree, it is a great, great piece. I think it was done in like 2002, during Jason's final go around in Durham (as the mini-doc focused a lot on him and his parents' annual trips from New Jersey to watch him play in Cameron).

As you pointed out, though, Berg, there is a wonderful segment in the mini-doc on Herb Neubauer, better known as "Crazy Towel Guy." The piece talks about how the tradition started, what he does with each and every towel, his game day routine, etc. Very interesting stuff.

My favorite part of the show, however, is the segment on longtime Cameron Indoor Stadium caretaker D.C. Williams. I taped the original broadcast of the show and every time I watch, D.C. Williams gives me chills as he describes his "duty" of upholding Cameron's legacy. I absolutely love it Our little gothic cathedral.

Tonight really sucks, though. I feel like walking for miles along my family's wooded acreage. (It's 19 degrees out with a foot of snow on the ground). I'm that miserable right now. I just hate these feelings of disgust in your stomach. What could have been, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post

Exiled
    I don't know that it was inappropriate. It was just...well it was dumb and more unoriginal than a Milli Vanilli song.

What I want to know is this...

Original (and better) Speedo Guy and his spot on ESPN. His wife said he was dating Speedo Guy's brother at one point. Anybody know if this is true? How on God's green earth could you...well, date your brother's ex girlfriend? Am I the only person that thinks that's Jerry Springer lite?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    I don't know that it was inappropriate. It was just...well it was dumb and more unoriginal than a Milli Vanilli song.

What I want to know is this...

Original (and better) Speedo Guy and his spot on ESPN. His wife said he was dating Speedo Guy's brother at one point. Anybody know if this is true? How on God's green earth could you...well, date your brother's ex girlfriend? Am I the only person that thinks that's Jerry Springer lite?
    The chopping at the crotch motion, imitating some pro wrasslin' thing, was inappropriate. That he did Speedo at all was sad.

I would agree with Exiled. The first Speedo Guy was creative and funny, and helped bring in a new moment of fame to The Rivalry, one that has grown into legend. The latest edition was a disgrace. Not only did he make a complete embarrassment of himself, his family, and, more importantly, the Cameron Crazies, the new underwear guy also helped ruined the legacy of the first. After I saw that, it all became a joke. This clown should be banned from all future Duke athletic events. What he did on ESPN, in front of millions, was completely inapt.

After Coach K had specifically let it be known that he did not wish to see another Speedo Guy, believing that Cameron's standards are higher than that (especially higher than a blatant "suck it," "suck me," "suck my %$#!" reference on national television), this never should have happened. Again, this is in no way a reference to the first Speed Guy. I liked him and still laugh out loud every time I see the replays. He was legendary.

The new underwear man should feel like a jerk.

was watching the pregame with non-duke friends (down in FL for spring training), and my friend's wife, who is totally not into sports, said that the Speedo Guy segment in the pre-game was "the funniest thing she's ever seen". that was a brilliant performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The new underwear man should feel like a jerk.
    So now we have a Crazy Speedo Guy and an Underwear Man.

YOU HAVE COINED THE PHRASE MON FRERE!! 'Underwear Man' is *perfect* and it really captures the sentiment of how most people feel about it. heehee

Where was Herr Leiderhosen last night? I don't remember seeing him in the midst of all the festival activities.