Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If I remember correctly the Speedo worked both times...something magical about it. I agree with the majority here...the Chef's are lame. I've had a hard time explaining that one to my State and Tarheel friends...

Speedo Guy on YouTube

No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    My God. If it weren't for Duke Basketball and all its elements, I just don't know what I'd do. This is fantastic.

Question: If Speedo Guy put his Speedo up on the eBay auctioning block, would anyone bid?

I damn near might.

-Damn near Jamm

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    Eh, they're really great fans and nice guys to boot. You guys should lay off them.
    Hey I didn't bring it up.

As someone else said, I am forced to explain the pun to people, including Duke fans, all the time b/c they botched it.

Being nice guys and all is great, but I am more interested in maintaining our image as the best fans in the world, and that means being clever and having good/funny outfits, imho.

Chefs

Often at games the ugrad section is disconnected (half cheering a different chant than the other half). It takes groups like the Chefs (many of them are grad students that have attended all home games for over 4 years) to preserve chants, the rhythm of chants, and to pick up the atmosphere at the most critical times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    They should lay off the chef hats. Then we'll all get along swimmingly.
    11 E, sir, 11 E.

My expert opinion as a biologist:

The "funny input" gene gets turned off when you leave college. Then, only things that happened when you were at Duke were funny/clever. New things are obviously dumb/copycats, because if they were funny, you'd know, you keeper of all things funny! Except your funny input gene is turned off. Too bad, too, because then you wouldn't be grumpy all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Being nice guys and all is great, but I am more interested in maintaining our image as the best fans in the world, and that means being clever and having good/funny outfits, imho.
    elitist, too, apparently

Speedo Guy = legend.

Isn't the speedo hanging in the rafters?

ESPN will be airing the segment on Speedo Guy at approximately 11:40 this morning, and once again this evening in the hour-long run-up to the game.

Apparently, he is now "Speedo Man." Kudos to ESPN for tracking him down.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    11 E, sir, 11 E.

My expert opinion as a biologist:

The "funny input" gene gets turned off when you leave college. Then, only things that happened when you were at Duke were funny/clever. New things are obviously dumb/copycats, because if they were funny, you'd know, you keeper of all things funny! Except your funny input gene is turned off. Too bad, too, because then you wouldn't be grumpy all of the time.
    That is utterly absurd especially since, you know, tons of posters on this board didn't go to Duke. Many recent antics have been hilarious, none more than the subject of this thread, Speedo Guy. I'm far from grumpy and I'm ready to laugh at the drop of a hat .. a chef's hat, that is. Into a garbage can. Oh snap!

Ha! That was a humorous segment. Nice cameo MulletMan! The did correctly say "Speedo Guy" after saying "Speedo Man" this first time. I like it that they even got Coach K to talk about it a bit.

Is it actually true that Speedo guy's wife was dating his brother beforehand? I mean, it's obvious she didn't switch immediately after and due to the speedo incident as she suggested as a joke, but I felt that it's (maybe?) possible that she was telling the truth about dating his brother. That's pretty strange...but she was probably just joking. I guess I can't determine sarcasm that easily.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Hilarious bit on GameDay today! They had more and better coverage of Speedo Guy's moment of glory than I've ever seen before. I hadn't seen the whole "rising up like a flower" bit, either.

Those of you that didn't catch the morning version should definitely try to tune in for the later round of GameDay.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

He got introduced by Erin Andrews!

[Throaty melts into woozy-headed Erin Andrews haze]

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Had I know Erin Andrews was going to be doing the gig from Cameron I would have painted myself a nice shade of Bruce Pearl Orange and gone over to say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    He got introduced by Erin Andrews!

[Throaty melts into woozy-headed Erin Andrews haze]
    I expect to see 'throaty 4 erin andrews' in the room tonight.

I really don't like Will Blythe...

... and his post on what he calls "Speedo Guy" (an excerpt from his book) just enhances my dislike!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/s...blythe_excerpt

Methinks he should head over to the Duke Eye Center for a checkup!
    DukeDevilDeb

Wink Ahem, Jumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    What he said.
    And from Julio's Spring Cleaning Thread:

"We have also instructed our moderators to delete posts (aggressively, if warranted) that they don’t think add meaningful content to the board. We're adding a mild infraction, "needless posting" (1 point, expires in 14 days), for posts wholly without redeeming qualities that don't rise to a more serious infraction. It's okay to say you agree with somebody, but if you're not adding something that advances the conversation, please don't post it."

Would that be a point Jumbo?
    Last edited by bluepenguin; 03-08-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrong attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Hilarious bit on GameDay today! They had more and better coverage of Speedo Guy's moment of glory than I've ever seen before. I hadn't seen the whole "rising up like a flower" bit, either.

Those of you that didn't catch the morning version should definitely try to tune in for the later round of GameDay.
    Truly excellent segment on the man in the 'do. And big kudos to the div. student who hit the $17,500 half court shot - it was pure, nothing but net.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    ... and his post on what he calls "Speedo Guy" (an excerpt from his book) just enhances my dislike!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/s...blythe_excerpt

Methinks he should head over to the Duke Eye Center for a checkup!
    Shows how much I know -- I loved the book and the description of Speedo Guy.

Edit: I don't think Blythe was talking about the original Speedo Guy. I think this was the knock-off.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.