Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke MBB vs. NCSU pre-game & in-game thread

is on CBS not FSN.

That means...

we wil only get to see 10 minutes of the game in Va.

oh no!! I didn't get to see last Saturday's game on CBS because of regional SEC coverage. I'm in Auburn, AL. Ugh, I REALLY hope I don't get regioned out of this weekend's game too!!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by camcraz25 View Post
    oh no!! I didn't get to see last Saturday's game on CBS because of regional SEC coverage. I'm in Auburn, AL. Ugh, I REALLY hope I don't get regioned out of this weekend's game too!!
    CBS's web site says it's a national game, which I take as meaning there are no other games they are carrying at that time. (They don't list any other game on their schedule for noon. The G'town-Marquette game following is also national, while the third game in the triple-header is listed as regional.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/story/10431620

Reveille, reveille, reveille...

Game time is 2 am Sunday morning in Japan. That is an early reveille, but I'll be up and cheering on our Blue Devils!
    Bob Green

NCSU is in complete freefall. Today's home loss to FSU was their sixth straight loss. Duke needs to continue to build momentum as the regular season is down to the last three games. Solid play on the road against State and Virginia is a must as we attempt to sew up a # 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. We are at the point in the season where we cannot afford to look past an opponent - especially on the road in conference play.
    Bob Green

the game on cbs is national and it's a noon eastern start. there shouldn't be anything before it and nothing they can switch to if it gets out of hand (unlike, say a 3 or 4 pm eastern start).

it would be helpful to see duke start out hot in this game and not take their foot off the hammer. bury them early and keep piling the dirt on until the game is over
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post

it would be helpful to see duke start out hot in this game and not take their foot off the hammer. bury them early and keep piling the dirt on until the game is over
    I agree, but that doesn't seem to happen much in recent times. Either we start slow and play catch up, or, if do we build up a lead we give most of it back at some point. Obviously, we almost always win, but seldom by the picture you paint.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Last 4 games

I looked up the last 4 games thinking that the numbers would show that Duke wasn't shooting it particulary well from 3 while their opponents were. That didn't turn out to be the case. While not on fire they weren't as cold as I thought.

Over the last 4 games Duke is shooting 33% (35-105) from 3 while their opponents are shooting 38% (20-52).

Over the last 4 games Duke is shooting 66% (70-106) FT while their opponents are shooting 67% (66-99) FT.

Granted those numbers are usually in Duke's favor and the fact that they are not is in itself an indicator that they haven't been playing to their full potential.

Note that Duke shot twice as many 3's as the opponents and shot more FTs. That is a testament to something, I just know it is.

I'm just more concerned with the fact that State is one of those teams, for whatever reason, tends to play their game of the year against us.

They are in a free fall right now, without a doubt though. I kind of hate it for them in a way. I was really hoping that Sid would take off. He is doing a lot better than my initial choice for that job, though ***cough***Kelvin Sampson ***cough*** Boy am I glad I was wrong about that one

Go Duke, kick them while their down!

I expect the Wuffies to come out guns-a-blazin, after being called out by their coach after the last loss. Their season is obviously lost, but they can still salvage positive momentum for next year by beating us. And frankly, this is pretty much their last chance to take anything positive away from this season.

It will take a strong effort tomorrow for us to win. We have to do a better job of defending on the interior than in the game in Cameron. We CANNOT afford another first-half lapse, because that will fire up the crowd. Go Duke!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Game time is 2 am Sunday morning in Japan. That is an early reveille, but I'll be up and cheering on our Blue Devils!
    Reminds me of my earlier Navy days. I was in Spain in 1994 during the Final Four and I remember putting in a wakeup call to get up @ 3am so that I could watch the game!

This game makes me a bit uneasy. Not as much as the Wake game but a similar feel. 2 of Duke's 3 losses have come against teams that, at the time, didn't have much to lose. Like Matches, I expect the Pack to come out with everything they have. Duke's obviously the better team but we're also better than Miami and Wake (and a healthy Pitt, IMO). Despite being all but out of bubble considerations, a win against Duke would make their offseason much more tolerable.

I'd like to see Duke attack this game the way they did when they went to Raleigh last year. Last year's NC State game was Duke's best 40-minute performance of the year, IMO.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    This game makes me a bit uneasy. Not as much as the Wake game but a similar feel. 2 of Duke's 3 losses have come against teams that, at the time, didn't have much to lose. Like Matches, I expect the Pack to come out with everything they have. Duke's obviously the better team but we're also better than Miami and Wake (and a healthy Pitt, IMO). Despite being all but out of bubble considerations, a win against Duke would make their offseason much more tolerable.

I'd like to see Duke attack this game the way they did when they went to Raleigh last year. Last year's NC State game was Duke's best 40-minute performance of the year, IMO.
    A duke win by 18 would be solid.

Singler and Thomas need to avoid foul trouble. In the first meeting Thomas fouled out and Singler had four fouls. Therefore, it would be nice for Zoubek to give us some solid minutes against State's big frontline and alter some shots, grab some rebounds, and score a couple of baskets. However, the key point for Duke will be defense, turning State over and converting those turnovers into points.
    Bob Green

Hi Sticker Girl,

Just received your email update on the stickers. Glad it has been successful. I always get some good looks when people see it on my car. Good luck with your last year of school!

The Next Two Will Help put last year to bed

I was very fired up for the first Maryland game as I felt it was our first real chance to exorcise the goblins of 2006/7. The second half of that game keyed our transcendent run through the first half of the ACC schedule and prompted a meteoric rise up the rankings (that and $2 will get you on the subway). Like the rest of us, I took the Wake and Miami losses pretty hard, but then thought back to last year and reminded myself how far this team has come.

To me, these next two games, more then the one that follows them, represent the next step of growth for this squad as they attempt to put last year behind their fans and critics (I don't day 'behind them' because I assume they are all about 'next play'). Since State and UVA's seasons have been a bust, beating us helps make their year. We are playing on the road, our opponents have nothing to lose. We must crush them.

This team owes it to itself to face the Heels next Saturday with a chance to win the conference outright. They have come too far for anything less.

In saying so, here's hoping for a return of:
    -The 3 point shooting all around but especially Paulus
    -Markie getting to the rim off his drive
    -Nolan Smith staying aggressive on offense
    -Taylor Kings long range bombs
    -Brian Zoubek 10 minutes of PT

And here's hoping for the continuation of:
    -Lance's steady play
    -The steadiness of the frontcourt by committee
    -Singler's blood sweat and tears
    -G's effort against Tech
    -Scheyer's gym rat on steroids (figurative) all around contributions
    -Solid team D
    -Slip screens for lay-ups
    -Passing lane steals ending in lay-ups and dunks
    -70%+ foul shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I was very fired up for the first Maryland game as I felt it was our first real chance to exorcise the goblins of 2006/7. The second half of that game keyed our transcendent run through the first half of the ACC schedule and prompted a meteoric rise up the rankings (that and $2 will get you on the subway). Like the rest of us, I took the Wake and Miami losses pretty hard, but then thought back to last year and reminded myself how far this team has come.

To me, these next two games, more then the one that follows them, represent the next step of growth for this squad as they attempt to put last year behind their fans and critics (I don't day 'behind them' because I assume they are all about 'next play'). Since State and UVA's seasons have been a bust, beating us helps make their year. We are playing on the road, our opponents have nothing to lose. We must crush them.

This team owes it to itself to face the Heels next Saturday with a chance to win the conference outright. They have come too far for anything less.

In saying so, here's hoping for a return of:
    -The 3 point shooting all around but especially Paulus
    -Markie getting to the rim off his drive
    -Nolan Smith staying aggressive on offense
    -Taylor Kings long range bombs
    -Brian Zoubek 10 minutes of PT

And here's hoping for the continuation of:
    -Lance's steady play
    -The steadiness of the frontcourt by committee
    -Singler's blood sweat and tears
    -G's effort against Tech
    -Scheyer's gym rat on steroids (figurative) all around contributions
    -Solid team D
    -Slip screens for lay-ups
    -Passing lane steals ending in lay-ups and dunks
    -70%+ foul shooting
    I could only add a banana split for desert!

Please don't tell me we are going to have to endure another physical, chippy game. The elbow to Paulus was intentional and should have been called as such. A lot of physical play thus far and we aren't even to the first timeout.

Gary

20. Ugly game so far. Shooting slump continues. Turnovers terrible.